Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2015, 02:22 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,102,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
No. It never ends, it truly is a full time job. I wish I could rest when I'm at home but I cant.
Is parenting not a full-time job for everyone???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 02:23 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatteredthunder View Post
I personally think those pages like the one previously posted (the 'I'm worth the same as a full time nanny and janitor and chef and financial planner, etc') are a bit silly. I don't think most people take them literally. However, I still think that those sentiments are a result of attitudes like what you and some others have exhibited here. it's a hard job, especially mentally/emotionally. There are a lot of responsibilities. There isn't much downtime. And when someone who hasn't been there comes in and says "it's nothing", then efforts are made to explain why it's not nothing, including listing the responsibilities and what those are theoretically worth.

I think most mothers would agree that there are more demanding jobs (ones previously mentioned), if those were to come into a discussion. People make exaggerated statements all the time, about all kinds of things. When they say it's the 'hardest job in the world', it could be in reference to other jobs they've had. It could be a reference to how emotionally invested they are, which isn't the case for most other jobs (in fact, I'd posit that it might be THE most emotionally invested job, but don't hold me to that).
I never intended to come across as thinking that taking care of children is "nothing." In fact, I do think that I said that I'm sure it's hard in one of my posts. Of course being in charge of the safety, nourishment, etc. of a small, rather helpless living being is tough. I do think it's exaggerated, though. A lot. And I do get offended when some SAHM types act as if people who don't have kids/don't stay home with kids have no idea what hard work, emotional investment, etc. are really like.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:30 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,396,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I never intended to come across as thinking that taking care of children is "nothing." In fact, I do think that I said that I'm sure it's hard in one of my posts. Of course being in charge of the safety, nourishment, etc. of a small, rather helpless living being is tough. I do think it's exaggerated, though. A lot. And I do get offended when some SAHM types act as if people who don't have kids/don't stay home with kids have no idea what hard work, emotional investment, etc. are really like.
Do you have children? It is easy to be academic about an issue.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:31 PM

4 posts, read 2,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrigan20 View Post
I get irked when the SAHMs imply that they are somehow superior to any woman who hasn't pushed a couple of kids out, much like people who get up at 4 am feel they are somehow superior to anyone who gets up at 8.

What really stripped my gears, though, was that ridiculous, overblown piece of mommy-worship that took the form of trying to change tax law so that SAHM's were allowed a ridiculously huge exemption in addition to the personal exemption and of course the deductions for every kid. This was in the mid-late 90's. Luckily it blew over. It's not my responsibility to pay more tax because someone decided she'd rather have kids than work.

And all you posters who are complaining about how hard it is to be a working "mom", ask yourselves this: why is your husband not pulling his weight?
I don't expect anyone to pay for my children, but you have forgotten the childcare tax credit working mothers get.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:53 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Not if you have others that help you... grandparents, inlaws, day care, nannies, etc allow some parents to have some free time.
Some parents are with the children 24/7.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:58 PM

4 posts, read 2,715 times
First, I hate the title of stay at home mom, it is a freaking sentence. I prefer housewife, but I'm retro that way. I work more now at home with the kids than I ever did working full time in human resources. If taking care of children all day isn't work, then why is everybody complaining about how much daycare costs. They charge so much for a reason, it's hard work.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:22 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,324,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Nope...

Example:Let's say your kid is in daycare for 10 hours a day --> (10 hrs./day * 5 days/wk)=50 hours/wk

A young kid that is in daycare probably gets picked up by 6pm and goes to bed by 8pm.
So, (2 hrs./wk. * 5 days/wk.)=10 hrs./wk.
Now, to add up the hours on weekend. So, I'll be nice and say they'll be up: 14 hrs./day (6am to 8pm). So, according to my calculations, the average working parent will be with their child for 38 hrs./wk

Old 11-12-2015, 03:35 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,276,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Nope...

Example:Let's say your kid is in daycare for 10 hours a day --> (10 hrs./day * 5 days/wk)=50 hours/wk

A young kid that is in daycare probably gets picked up by 6pm and goes to bed by 8pm.
So, (2 hrs./wk. * 5 days/wk.)=10 hrs./wk.
Now, to add up the hours on weekend. So, I'll be nice and say they'll be up: 14 hrs./day (6am to 8pm). So, according to my calculations, the average working parent will be with their child for 38 hrs./wk
So, then parents who work are working two part-time jobs? Well actually one full-time job and then one part-time job?

For me (childless) its not so much if a mom/dad is a full-time parent, I really don't care. Kudos to them for being able to, and having a certain luxury to live off of one income.

I'm more miffed by people who need to tell me how difficult whatever job they choose is. I get it life is tough, raising a family is tough for all involved.

But really how people do isn't any of my business.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:36 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
There are lots of things that are difficult but are not a "job." Something being hard work doesn't automatically make it work in the employment sense.

I actually find the idea of raising my own children being considered "a job" kind of distasteful. Like when fathers are said to be "babysitting" if they are left alone with their own kids.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:49 PM

847 posts, read 1,352,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I believe that being a housewife and mother is a full time job, because there are real duties involved like managing the household budget, shopping, cleaning, cooking fresh homemade meals, taking the children to school, doctor appointments, teaching the children to care for themselves, etc. Women who do all of those things and more are amazing and probably rare in these times. But if a woman only stays home and cares for the kids (who eventually go to school) and is not making a clean and healthy home and managing a budget, diets, or teaching the kids how to do the same, I don't know what she's doing that would constitute a job. I'm actually not sure what a stay at home mom is other than a woman who is a mother and stays home because of it. I can only guess she's not a true housewife which is a better term in my opinion for a woman who makes a home for her family.
The thing you mentioned is not a full time job. They are simply things that are part of everyday life that most humans beings do everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment