Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 09:25 AM

1,065 posts, read 598,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
And in my book, "sure" is more positive than simply saying "yes," but the OP's boss didn't simply say it was not definitive enough, she said it sounds like "I don't give a crap." Where the hell did that come from?
The hell where it came from is:
An employee who is not precise with serious matters can appear uncaring, so I think the boss meant this with using the insulting phrase towards employee: "I don't give a crap".

However, the boss chose a method of communication that means the issue at hand is not critical (texting outside of work hours) so in this instance, "sure" would seem fine for a friend but still not a supervisor.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:30 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,808,981 times
Lets make this 50 pages! where the op go? she quit and get a real job?

Old 05-08-2017, 01:42 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
An employee who is not precise with serious matters can appear uncaring, so I think the boss meant this with using the insulting phrase towards employee: "I don't give a crap".

However, the boss chose a method of communication that means the issue at hand is not critical (texting outside of work hours) so in this instance, "sure" would seem fine for a friend but still not a supervisor.
Except that "sure" is precise. How the boss has it in her mind that "sure" is not precise, that the employee is not caring, or doesn't "give a crap" is bewildering. In a pure business setting I'd have more of a problem with the smiley face; but this is not a pure business setting when the boss initiates a text in off hours addressing a situation that can, and should, be addressed in the office.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:12 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,850,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite
Should have said 'okay'. That can be perceived as disrespectful, believe it or not.
I believe ANYTHING in this me$$ed up world!!!

Old 05-08-2017, 02:51 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,939 times
This happened to me recently. I was dealing with a task that had dropped into my lap from nowhere. A co-worker came over and wanted to use my computer for something important too.

I said "Hey, I can't I'm really busy right now" and they said words that were really violent and offensive. Then they found someone else to help them or whatever.

This person was born around the corner, they skipped school when they were 15, this is the only job they have ever had. They have a good heart and didn't mean what they said. They were just mad about something.

It's not your fault: people don't have the exact same life experience as you. You can say words that set off wounds without knowing. It can happen to you as well - you can get mad over nothing over a word.

So "sorry, but" and "boss X told me to do this" and so on, helps you survive. Being careful and polite helps you in the minefield.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:22 PM

1,065 posts, read 598,167 times
[quote=kokonutty;48087269]Except that "sure" is precise. How the boss has it in her mind that "sure" is not precise, that the employee is not caring, or doesn't "give a crap" is bewildering. In a pure business setting I'd have more of a problem with the smiley face; but this is not a pure business setting when the boss initiates a text in off hours addressing a situation that can, and should, be addressed in the office.[

Sure.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:05 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,783,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
An employee who is not precise with serious matters can appear uncaring,
It doesn't matter how they "appear."
It matters how they accomplish their work.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:15 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,564,763 times
For those still living in in a clueless bubble about sure vs yes, here's the Urban Dictionary top definition for sure:

"the quickest way to answer a question when not paying attention that usually doesn't include any thinking what so ever. also used in a very sarcastic way."

To most people it means either casual or sarcastic. Anyone who has been living in the US for 20 years or so already knows this. But for the ESL students here - this is a useful definition as it cuts to real world use.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:28 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
For those still living in in a clueless bubble about sure vs yes, here's the Urban Dictionary top definition for sure:

"the quickest way to answer a question when not paying attention that usually doesn't include any thinking what so ever. also used in a very sarcastic way."

To most people it means either casual or sarcastic. Anyone who has been living in the US for 20 years or so already knows this. But for the ESL students here - this is a useful definition as it cuts to real world use.
So the real question here then in light of this definition is was the bosses request nonsense, life and death or was it just the boss wanting to excersize control. MOST things don't require OT or off hours emergency work.

Is the OP's boss paying double time for this work? If not then "sure" may have been the appropriate response under the above definition. If the boss wants to fire people because they are not asking how high when she says jump then she may suffer really really high turn around.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:30 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
This happened to me recently. I was dealing with a task that had dropped into my lap from nowhere. A co-worker came over and wanted to use my computer for something important too.

I said "Hey, I can't I'm really busy right now" and they said words that were really violent and offensive. Then they found someone else to help them or whatever.

This person was born around the corner, they skipped school when they were 15, this is the only job they have ever had. They have a good heart and didn't mean what they said. They were just mad about something.

It's not your fault: people don't have the exact same life experience as you. You can say words that set off wounds without knowing. It can happen to you as well - you can get mad over nothing over a word.

So "sorry, but" and "boss X told me to do this" and so on, helps you survive. Being careful and polite helps you in the minefield.
Only the ownership class can assert themselves, express anger or dissenting opinions without fear of reprisal and less and less people are part of that ownership class. Everyone else has to play the roll of undignified pandering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment