Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2017, 04:46 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,549,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
quote:
Some people are busy....or bad cooks. Isnt the nature of a pot luck to all come together and share a meal, not to have to prove something?

busy cooks and bad cooks have no right to participate in potlucks then. what's the point?

I realize I come across as a terrible person thinking this, but really... it's other worse people who are worse.
bring a dish of deep fried worms, heard they are delicacies... if you keep bringing them, people may ask you to bring the soda and flatware instead
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2017, 07:32 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,264,865 times
Quote:
lol don't me started on potlucks and people who will pick up a bag of store bought chips last minute because they want to taste all the homemade dishes everyone made and brought in to participate. When there's five homemade dishes and seven bags of Stacy's Pita Chips :/....
Sometimes I rather eat the pre packaged food than something someone made at home. Especially if it's someone that I know is dirty, doesn't wash their hands, has too many dogs and cats, etc.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:59 PM

469 posts, read 398,930 times
I used to go all out for potlucks. Then I realized that the women did all the work cooking homemade dishes while the men brought plastic silverware, soda, or chips. That's what I do now.

Old 12-10-2017, 09:03 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,139,785 times
Quote:
quote:
Some people are busy....or bad cooks. Isnt the nature of a pot luck to all come together and share a meal, not to have to prove something?

busy cooks and bad cooks have no right to participate in potlucks then. what's the point?

I realize I come across as a terrible person thinking this, but really... it's other worse people who are worse.
Some of the responses make me think that the person who replied sarcastically is the one who signed up for the $20 secret Santa but cheaped out by buying a $2 candy cane.

Make no mistake, this is a $20 voluntary secret Santa exchange. OP has every right to be upset/disappointed with his gift.

Old 12-10-2017, 10:07 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Quote:
I realize Secret Santa is something that most people loathe, but my office generally enjoys it and people get each other nice stuff. The limit is 20 bux or so. Today I found my gift at my desk and it was...

a candy cane

a CANDY CANE!

I thought it was one person, who it turned out not being... I was complaining (in a joking way) to a number of other coworkers without realizing the person who was my secret santa was in earshot. Then another person told me that when I was at lunch everyone in my area was talking about upset I was with my gift. Am I being a brat? To be fair, most years my work secret santa gift is the ONLY gift I get because I don't have a family (they are all dead and everyone I work with knows this) and my friends are poor and don't live near me.

I feel bad the person found out that I was complaining and saying what a crappy gift that was. A candy cane. A CANDY CANE! I even went online and looked up this candy cane and they cost 2 dollars. I was offended and even worse I feel bad I complained so much about it, but them i'm like how rude of a gift. Why bother participating (it's not mandatory and it's not even suggested). Over the years I have gotten so many great amazing things that I cherished, but this year i'm just angry about it. Moreso sad I guess.

Anyone else get a crappy secret santa gift this year?

OK. I may be weird but I enjoy gift exchanges. However, there is always the chance of getting stiffed. And you did - big time.

A CANDY CANE? That is actually something I would attach to a gift as a decoration.

I was involved with a voluntary "Secret Santa" that was attached to a club I belong to. Gifts are supposed to be $25- NOT $25 "or less".

They are supposed to be antiques from a certain era.

I participated for four years, and this year I quit. Out of the 4 years, I gave gifts in line with the type and price that was outlined.

ONLY ONE YEAR did I receive such a gift. The other years it was junk. Sometimes supplemented with candy to make a pathetic, damaged or just crap gift seem better.
The items were things I feel certain they already owned. In this gift exchange, participants give guidelines about what they collect and the giver knows their preferences.
It's really not hard to do.

Just give something that costs $25 that the person says that they like.

But, there appear to be people who take advantage of the anonymity of the gift exchange. One does not need to reveal themselves after the swap. But some do.

In my church, the women's club has a dinner at a restaurant every Christmas. Numbers are drawn. But after the gift swap, people reveal themselves.

So there is some accountability.

I'm really curious about the psychology of people who participate and give junk gifts. My guess? They have sociopathic tendencies.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:57 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,677,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
ONLY ONE YEAR did I receive such a gift. The other years it was junk. Sometimes supplemented with candy to make a pathetic, damaged or just crap gift seem better.
The items were things I feel certain they already owned. In this gift exchange, participants give guidelines about what they collect and the giver knows their preferences.
It's really not hard to do.

I'm really curious about the psychology of people who participate and give junk gifts. My guess? They have sociopathic tendencies.
It does seem there is something wrong.. as if they feel they are knowingly getting away with something. My feeling is, if one doesn't want to spend money, then don't be involved. Same with those who may get a Pot Luck free meal, while others are cooking and baking a portion for the majority. Another thing, one may take huge helpings not considering that others mighr want to try some, too. I guess this all just comes down to how differently people are raised.

Not to open another can of worms, but I thought about eating out with a work group, too. I recall others would be ordering drinks and inevitably, we would be short for the bill, sitting there while everyone is trying to even it up. Another asks "Did you put enough in?" (Uh, yeah, only having Salad and Iced Tea.. while others were having more alcohol and bigger meals). 🙄

As mentioned, even my family likes to play a little game. We roll dice, when one gets doubles (or triples?) we will pick a wrapped item from the pile. (What makes it simpler is using something like a sturdy, flat box-lid to toss the dice in, to pass to another). When everything is opened, we keep rolling the dice, then take from another an item, setting a time limit for a bit. (At the end, some may give something to another who may have wanted it more or trade an item). There can be a larger dollar amount set to do this, but it does not need to be expensive. Some may know how Dollar Stores have fun or useful stuff, (just arranging with all participants beforehand for that to be the limit). There may end up being a flashlight, socks, calendar, food, container, candy, ornaments, book, utensils, candle, tools, batteries, toys..etc. We never know. It's just for fun and people get silly.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:00 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,281,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
Some of the responses make me think that the person who replied sarcastically is the one who signed up for the $20 secret Santa but cheaped out by buying a $2 candy cane.

Make no mistake, this is a $20 voluntary secret Santa exchange. OP has every right to be upset/disappointed with his gift.
So no one can disagree with the OP? And for the record my issue is with how the OP handled it and how immature they are acting about work functions in gemeral.

But go ahead and assume that because someone dares to disagree they must be guilty of the same thing.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:23 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,930,351 times
Quote:
I realize Secret Santa is something that most people loathe, but my office generally enjoys it and people get each other nice stuff. The limit is 20 bux or so. Today I found my gift at my desk and it was...

a candy cane

a CANDY CANE!

I thought it was one person, who it turned out not being... I was complaining (in a joking way) to a number of other coworkers without realizing the person who was my secret santa was in earshot. Then another person told me that when I was at lunch everyone in my area was talking about upset I was with my gift. Am I being a brat? To be fair, most years my work secret santa gift is the ONLY gift I get because I don't have a family (they are all dead and everyone I work with knows this) and my friends are poor and don't live near me.

I feel bad the person found out that I was complaining and saying what a crappy gift that was. A candy cane. A CANDY CANE! I even went online and looked up this candy cane and they cost 2 dollars. I was offended and even worse I feel bad I complained so much about it, but them i'm like how rude of a gift. Why bother participating (it's not mandatory and it's not even suggested). Over the years I have gotten so many great amazing things that I cherished, but this year i'm just angry about it. Moreso sad I guess.

Anyone else get a crappy secret santa gift this year?
I didn't have time to read the 4 pages and I'm glad you got over it, but I agree with you it really sucks. That really wasn't right on that other person's part. Wish I could somehow send a good SS gift your way!

Old 12-11-2017, 07:16 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,048,162 times
https://youtu.be/5kC5k5QBqcc

The Problems with Secret Santa - Numberphile

Old 12-11-2017, 07:16 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,036,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Sorry, but a gift is an obligation if you enroll in a gift exchange. Don't like it? Don't sign up for the gift exchange. Very simple.

It would be different if it were just some random friend who decided to give him a gift.

Her attitude is still sucky. Now, because she's irritated, SHE'S going to give a sucky gift, or none at all? Geez, be a grown up already, and lead by example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment