Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 10:56 AM

720 posts, read 3,006,564 times

Advertisements

someone with a good work ethic would say i work just has hard whether im getting paid $8 an hour or $80 an hour. some people take pride in a hard days work and doing what they are paid for and do that. personally ill admit i wont work as hard for less money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 10:59 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
So now you have figured it out.

I'm glad you had to have someone else to explain it to you ! ! !
Is this the Matrix? WTF

Old 07-30-2012, 11:11 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,495,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Is this the Matrix? WTF
Someone help him so he won't be ...

Old 07-30-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Someone help him so he won't be ...
Noone help me can they.

Because circles in you talk ! ! !

Old 07-30-2012, 11:32 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,815,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I guess I'm the odd man out on this. I always do my best, regardless of the pay or job title. At the end of the day, I want to walk out, feeling that no one could have done as good a job as I did. It doesnt matter that the boss doesnt realize that; as long as I realize it, that's all that matters.
Being the odd man out and possibly being the old man out- 8 dollars was fine back in 1968...after tax you are working for nothing. The word "ethics" was used here- I assume they are talking about work ethics..an employer turning a profit on someone making 8 dollars has no ethics- so why present a work ethic to some user jerk? If it is not a living wage- it is not earning a living...It's slavery.

With off shoring jobs to China and India and Mexico...If Americans submit to accepting slave wages in order to stay "competitive" Things are going to get worse- Why should a citizen in the world's wealthiest nation have to compete with a worker in China who gets 5 bucks a day and a bowl of fish head soup as a bonus?

Driving wages down because our corporations betrayed us out of greed is not an option...How can you say that AMERICA is still a super power if free enterprise has been replaced by cheap and slave labor? What is the point of working if all it does is give you enough money to only pay for the expense that are travel costs.

My father in law who was a retired cop who became a blue collar worker had a rule.....If you are a renter- ONE weeks wage should cover one months rent- When a month of wage covers on month of rent-------------You are just a slave with a place to sleep eating pasta with cheap cheese sauce...You can look forward to a very short and miserable life.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:27 PM

720 posts, read 3,006,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Being the odd man out and possibly being the old man out- 8 dollars was fine back in 1968...after tax you are working for nothing. The word "ethics" was used here- I assume they are talking about work ethics..an employer turning a profit on someone making 8 dollars has no ethics- so why present a work ethic to some user jerk? If it is not a living wage- it is not earning a living...It's slavery.

With off shoring jobs to China and India and Mexico...If Americans submit to accepting slave wages in order to stay "competitive" Things are going to get worse- Why should a citizen in the world's wealthiest nation have to compete with a worker in China who gets 5 bucks a day and a bowl of fish head soup as a bonus?

Driving wages down because our corporations betrayed us out of greed is not an option...How can you say that AMERICA is still a super power if free enterprise has been replaced by cheap and slave labor? What is the point of working if all it does is give you enough money to only pay for the expense that are travel costs.

My father in law who was a retired cop who became a blue collar worker had a rule.....If you are a renter- ONE weeks wage should cover one months rent- When a month of wage covers on month of rent-------------You are just a slave with a place to sleep eating pasta with cheap cheese sauce...You can look forward to a very short and miserable life.
until your a boss making a payroll you can't really talk so critically of others paying $8 an hour.

if thats not a decent wage than minimum wage should be raised but these types of jobs aren't meant for somene to raise a family on they are meant for kids, people taking on a second job, etc.

many businesses would close up shop and go out of business if they had to pay more than $8 an hour to certain employees because they are working on small margins as it is.

if soeone doesn't want to work for $8 an hour go find another job or get some in demand skills people ar ewilling to pay over $8 an hour for or start your own business using a skill you have. nothing irks me more than people who whine about their predicament do something about it.

if every business had to pay more than $8 an hour everything on the dollar menu at fast food restaurants would be $5 not $1. going to the movies would cost $20 a ticket instead of $10. cost of everything would go up and now all the sudden the 50k or 100k your making doesn't go nearly as far.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
until your a boss making a payroll you can't really talk so critically of others paying $8 an hour.

if thats not a decent wage than minimum wage should be raised but these types of jobs aren't meant for somene to raise a family on they are meant for kids, people taking on a second job, etc.

many businesses would close up shop and go out of business if they had to pay more than $8 an hour to certain employees because they are working on small margins as it is.

if soeone doesn't want to work for $8 an hour go find another job or get some in demand skills people ar ewilling to pay over $8 an hour for or start your own business using a skill you have. nothing irks me more than people who whine about their predicament do something about it.

if every business had to pay more than $8 an hour everything on the dollar menu at fast food restaurants would be $5 not $1. going to the movies would cost $20 a ticket instead of $10. cost of everything would go up and now all the sudden the 50k or 100k your making doesn't go nearly as far.
Dead on!

Old 07-30-2012, 12:52 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:

There is almost no labor in the price of a movie ticket (at least not of the people working at the theater), and not all that much in the price of a $1 McD value menu item. It might raise the price to $1.25 to pay $12 an hour instead of $8 to your shift workers. Lots of businesses do pay slightly above market rates. In-N-Out pays more like $10-12 an hour rather than $8. They also use a more labor intensive process to prepare the food than McD.

Anyway, wages aren't set to be fair to everyone because some academic in an ivory tower in charge of planning the minute details of every aspect of the economy decided that it is not fair for a McD worker to make $8 and a cardiologist to make $150. Hell, the cardiologist pays as much in med-mal insurance as a half dozen or so McD workers in many cases, plus went through eight years of school and another 7-10 years of residency/fellowships before they started to really make money.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:13 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,911 times
Quote:
This is bull, and is only spouted out by people who have no concept of basic economics, and their application in perfect competition, and think that their arm chair "laymans logic" is actually applicable to reality.

Here is reality for you, there is absolutely no relationship between historical inflation and raises in minimum wage......why do you think that is? If you cant figure it out, Ill be happy to give you a short economics tutorial.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:21 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,495,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
If you cant figure it out, Ill be happy to give you a short economics tutorial.
See if you can help Tekkie figure it out ! ! !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment