Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 03:03 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
In response to your post I give you the enlightened representative from the US South, Paul Broun. He sits on the Congressional Committee on Science and Technology, yet he believes the earth is 6,000 years old.

I want everyone to know about this fruitcake, and especially I want some educated southerners to know what kind of morons their region sends to our national govt. Very sad.

U.S. Rep. Paul Broun: Evolution a lie 'from the pit of hell'

U.S. Rep. Paul Broun: Evolution a lie 'from the pit of hell' - Los Angeles Times
There is actually plenty of smart politicians from the south, but people like to pick out the dumbest ones just to make the south look bad. Does Michele Bachman represent Minnesota and the North of America?

Old 02-03-2013, 03:10 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,949 times
It's often not what we say it's how we say it that turns people off. It's fine to mentioned the good things about one's country but with out being condesending and demeaning towards other peoples' nations and if you look over the commentary here that happens an awful lot with us. Why I don't know but we, ourselves, often provoke these negative reactions toward our country. In truth away from these message boards and in "real life" we don't do that and we are, as a people, well liked in every country I have ever been in. Sure some people disagree with our politics but that is a different story and there is room for debate there. There is no need to put others on the defensive to support national pride.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:33 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
It's often not what we say it's how we say it that turns people off. It's fine to mentioned the good things about one's country but with out being condesending and demeaning towards other peoples' nations and if you look over the commentary here that happens an awful lot with us. Why I don't know but we, ourselves, often provoke these negative reactions toward our country. In truth away from these message boards and in "real life" we don't do that and we are, as a people, well liked in every country I have ever been in. Sure some people disagree with our politics but that is a different story and there is room for debate there. There is no need to put others on the defensive to support national pride.
I think the word you are looking for is TACT. Personally i don't think there is any harm in talking up your own country, Aussies do the same, but lets not overdo it. I find British talk their country down all the time or maybe thats their humour, having a laugh at themselves. I'm old enough to be grateful for the Americans in WW2. Without them we would have suffered dire consequences.I'm glad i didn't end up speaking German under a Nazi regime.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:20 PM

557 posts, read 673,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
it's just comedy, and besides..the US is flavor of the month or year...
I think you mean flavor of the centuries

Old 02-03-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You're kidding, right?
They're comedians.

That said, pompous, we're no. 1 idiots from the US deserve to be mocked.
They sucked up the propaganda and don't see their rightful place in the world.
They're not special and their policies have killed millions of innocent people throughout the world.

They don't take care of their own citizens and try to tell the rest of the world how to live.
They're spoiled little brats who use guns to try to tame others and force their beliefs on them.

Shall I go on?
America has not killed millions of innocent people.
In comparison with European countries America has used the gun or sword like 100x less.
America challenges and questions its government more than many other countries.
The reason you think you know so much about America is because we're an open society that airs out its good and bad.
The US was an isolationist country, but the world wanted America to be world police, so know we're the world police.

The Fact of the matter is the US has done more good than bad for the world by fostering the most peaceful time in human existence.
Steven Pinker: Why Violence Is Vanishing - WSJ.com

Old 02-03-2013, 10:55 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
America has not killed millions of innocent people.
In comparison with European countries America has used the gun or sword like 100x less.
America challenges and questions its government more than many other countries.
The reason you think you know so much about America is because we're an open society that airs out its good and bad.
The US was an isolationist country, but the world wanted America to be world police, so know we're the world police.

The Fact of the matter is the US has done more good than bad for the world by fostering the most peaceful time in human existence.
Steven Pinker: Why Violence Is Vanishing - WSJ.com
Over the centuries, it has.
Just look at the legacy of the School of the Americas in the Central and South American countries.
Over 100,000 directly in Iraq.
Oh, cut me a break.

The US took on the job of being the world police and screwed it and our economy up royally.
It refuses to step back now.
It's in Africa doing the same manifest destiny crap.

I disagree, the US has not done more good than bad.
Ask the Vietnamese, or those in Phongsavang, Lao where we dropped our bombs before returning to Thailand during 'Nam.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Over the centuries, it has.
Just look at the legacy of the School of the Americas in the Central and South American countries.
Over 100,000 directly in Iraq.
Oh, cut me a break.
Please provide the sources for your claim. Where are you getting this stat that says America has killed millions of innocent people?

Quote:
The US took on the job of being the world police and screwed it and our economy up royally.
It refuses to step back now.
America's economy has had lower moments in the past and recovered.

Quote:
It's in Africa doing the same manifest destiny crap.

I disagree, the US has not done more good than bad.
Ask the Vietnamese, or those in Phongsavang, Lao where we dropped our bombs before returning to Thailand during 'Nam.
Well, the facts disagree with your opinion. Steven Pinker: Why Violence Is Vanishing - WSJ.com

[Mod cut: personal]

Last edited by elnina; 02-07-2013 at 04:25 PM..

Old 02-04-2013, 03:34 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
Please provide the sources for your claim. Where are you getting this stat that says America has killed millions of innocent people?

America's economy has had lower moments in the past and recovered.

Well, the facts disagree with your opinion. Steven Pinker: Why Violence Is Vanishing - WSJ.com

It seems like you're more worried about making America the bad guy than anything else.
The US is the bad guy in most situations.
Why do you think the middle east is as it is today?
US "intervention" in the 50s and since.

Between what the US has directly killed and indirectly trained murderers allowed to be killed (see school of the americas, etc), the numbers are in the millions.
We train the world's torturers. That makes us responsible.
We placed dictators in office who killed much of their population, that makes us responsible.

http://unmondetortionnaire.com/Train...-The-School-of
http://truth-out.org/news/item/9685-...cluding-mexico
http://community.seattletimes.nwsour...5&slug=2359800
http://pangaea.org/street_children/latin/soa.htm
http://www.commondreams.org/views/111800-103.htm

Old 02-04-2013, 08:38 AM

92 posts, read 201,372 times
It's just a combination of Americans having a good sense of humor and used to being bash all the time.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
The US is the bad guy in most situations.
Why do you think the middle east is as it is today?
US "intervention" in the 50s and since.

Between what the US has directly killed and indirectly trained murderers allowed to be killed (see school of the americas, etc), the numbers are in the millions.
We train the world's torturers. That makes us responsible.
We placed dictators in office who killed much of their population, that makes us responsible.

Training Torturers: The School of the Americas
http://truth-out.org/news/item/9685-...cluding-mexico
Editorials & Opinion | School Of The Americas -- Murders In El Salvador Left Blood On U.S. Hands | Seattle Times Newspaper
US Army School of the Americas
The School of the Americas is a Challenge to Justice
[Mod cut: personal]

America has brought more good to the world than bad, and compared with Superpowers of the past, the US is more kinder. [Mod cut: personal]

Last edited by elnina; 02-07-2013 at 04:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World