Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2016, 03:14 PM

322 posts, read 479,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giveandtake View Post
Perhaps but you can definitely tell that they are 'American'.
Yes most americans just look american, FOr example George W Busch, Id never confuse him for anything non-anglo, He would be assumed as american anywhere in mainland europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 05:36 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroW View Post
I went 12 times in the USA.
Americans look totally different from the East to the West, from the North to the South. If you are in the North East or in the North West, they don't look the same.
In some American regions, they look more Spaniard on average, and in others they look more English/ Irish.

But whether you are Black or White in the USA, you are anglo-saxon from a French perspective.
Being anglo-saxon is equal to be American or English.
While I agree that Americans look different from one region to another, especially white Americans due to different ethnicities settling in different areas, as a Black American, I'm not sure if I could get away with calling myself Ango-Saxon.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giveandtake View Post
A lot of Americans do look German.
German is the most common ancestry in the US despite the emotional eruptions of some who insist otherwise. In the Midwest, most White Americans seem to have German ancestry, some of it hidden because a lot of those families anglicized their names when they moved here.

Old 06-25-2016, 05:55 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,959 times
Most in the US media is white. Just as in my country a large majority of people you see on TV are white, and it does not give a accurate representation of the true demographics of the country. I have had some visitors overseas was startled on the sheer number of Asians in the big cities here.

Last edited by other99; 06-25-2016 at 06:07 PM..

Old 06-25-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Most in the US media is white. Just as in my country a large majority of people you see on TV are white, and it does not give a accurate representation of the true demographics of the country. I have had some visitors overseas was startled on the sheer number of Asians in the big cities here.
This is something the Black, Hispanic and Asian communities have been pointing out for decades.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:56 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
This is something the Black, Hispanic and Asian communities have been pointing out for decades.
Most people in the U.S. are white. In fact two-thirds of the U.S. is white, and the U.S. was 80%+ white only 20 years ago. And many nonwhite Hispanics are basically white in appearance.

So why would it be surprising that most people on American TV are white? Wouldn't it be very odd if this weren't the case?

Old 06-25-2016, 06:56 PM

322 posts, read 479,651 times
Quote:
German is the most common self-REPORTED ancestry in the US despite the emotional eruptions of some who insist otherwise. In the Midwest, most White Americans seem to have German ancestry, some of it hidden because a lot of those families anglicized their names when they moved here.
fixed..

HAving some german ancestry doesnt make you german. Also many of the german ancestry in the US is from switzerland and eastern france, not germany.

The most common ancestry by far in the Us is Scotch-Irish, and its backed up with immigration data and even looking at modern day white americans. Irish-Italian is by far the commonest mix.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:14 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,959 times
Quote:
Well you should watch Australia commercial TV and Australian adds and it appears 98% are white. except for multicultural stations. Yet no one in Australia would ever claim Australia is 98% white.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zektor View Post
fixed..

HAving some german ancestry doesnt make you german. Also many of the german ancestry in the US is from switzerland and eastern france, not germany.

The most common ancestry by far in the Us is Scotch-Irish, and its backed up with immigration data and even looking at modern day white americans. Irish-Italian is by far the commonest mix.
What was I thinking? Of course you would know better than the people reporting their own ancestry. Forgot where I was for a second

Old 06-25-2016, 07:24 PM

290 posts, read 210,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Most people in the U.S. are white. In fact two-thirds of the U.S. is white, and the U.S. was 80%+ white only 20 years ago. And many nonwhite Hispanics are basically white in appearance.

So why would it be surprising that most people on American TV are white? Wouldn't it be very odd if this weren't the case?
But not British white.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World