Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 08:50 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,498,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The part I mentioned earlier....The US will NOT align it's foreign policy with other countries, which is part of the mandate set out by CANZUK.

Canada's foreign policy differs in some major aspects than the US.

Also as said, the US is just too big to allow free movement of people to these other countries. The chance of being overwhelmed is greater.
While that may be true, that also applies to the UK. Both the UK and Australia joined the US in Iraq by sending combat ready troops.

In fact, if we look at foreign policy exclusively, Canada and NZ are outliers and even then only partially. Canada sent troops to Afghanistan and took part in air strikes in Syria. The foreign policy goals of these countries are more or less aligned even if some actors are more active than others.

The fact that the US is so big is precisely why I want it.

This isn't going to be another EU. All countries will still maintain sovereignty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 09:26 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
And the US is a mess right now. Disunity is the highest it's been since the 1860's. We'd be lucky to remain united, nevermind a union with any other countries.
This is what actually breaks my heart about what is happening in the U.S right now. Canadians aren't Americans, but we tend to see things happening with you and are impacted by that more than any nation. That is why we may be a little judgmental - it is us saying to our big buddy wtf are you doing On the flip - if there is long term fragmentation of the U.S, there may be a situation where greater unity with other nations starts making sense. Especially the parts of the U.S whose values are more aligned with the general values of other nations.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:28 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I honestly don't think the US would want to be part of CANZUK even if they were invited to join at least in its current form. I can't see the US opening their borders to any other country to be honest unless they were to become a part of the US which is a non starter for pretty much any other country.
I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head with this.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:10 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think something along the lines of this project is inevitable, especially if Trump pulls us (the United States) out of NAFTA as he did with the TPP. An economic pact is virtually certain as is freedom of movement for CANZUK citizens, the other proposals (ie: regarding military integration) I think are less certain although I did hear that the Royal Canadian Navy will be collaborating with the Royal Australian Navy and the British Royal Navy on the Global Combat Ship/Type 26 frigate program.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:44 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,560,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
While that may be true, that also applies to the UK. Both the UK and Australia joined the US in Iraq by sending combat ready troops.

In fact, if we look at foreign policy exclusively, Canada and NZ are outliers and even then only partially. Canada sent troops to Afghanistan and took part in air strikes in Syria. The foreign policy goals of these countries are more or less aligned even if some actors are more active than others.

The fact that the US is so big is precisely why I want it.

This isn't going to be another EU. All countries will still maintain sovereignty.
US foreign policy is based on??? Oil mostly. Australia and the UK most likely regret their decision to join the US in that fracas.

The example you gave of Iraq is a perfect example of WHY I wouldn't want to align Canada's foreign policy with the US. We were right not to join the illegal war..which turned out to be all lies.

A friend lost a brother in-law from the UK because of that mistake.

As for maintaining sovereignty, that would be more difficult if the US were thrown into the mix.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:57 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
What's wrong with being in a union with the US? You're already in NATO. It's easy to view the other three countries more favorably then the US, when they are much smaller and therefore leave a smaller footprint.
The US has the second largest Spanish speaking population in the world.

Culturally it’s not that Anglo as you believe. The percentage of Anglos will drop below 50 pretty soon.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:58 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,346,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I think something along the lines of this project is inevitable, especially if Trump pulls us (the United States) out of NAFTA as he did with the TPP.
Not sure about that; today there is not enough common economic and political interests in common between Aus, the UK, Canada and NZ to really bind them together except for peripheral issues. Aus and NZ are focussed economically and politically on the Asia-Pacific region, and the US will remain Australia's most significant security partner, and a major trade partner, followed by regional allies like Singapore or Japan. The US will still be Canada most important trade and security partner, and the UK's future will still be largely defined in terms of its relationship with the EU and NATO.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:15 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
This is what actually breaks my heart about what is happening in the U.S right now. Canadians aren't Americans, but we tend to see things happening with you and are impacted by that more than any nation. That is why we may be a little judgmental - it is us saying to our big buddy wtf are you doing On the flip - if there is long term fragmentation of the U.S, there may be a situation where greater unity with other nations starts making sense. Especially the parts of the U.S whose values are more aligned with the general values of other nations.
The US would have to break up for any part of it to form a union with other nations. It is already well known that the values of California, and to a lesser extent, Oregon and Washington, are more in line with Canada than they are to say, Utah, Alabama or Texas.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:37 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post

Culturally it’s not that Anglo as you believe. The percentage of Anglos will drop below 50 pretty soon.
Culturally the US is still a VERY Anglo country, despite the 'stick' it sometimes gets it still has VERY strong links with all the other Anglo countries, popular culture and language are VERY strong bonds. It may not be part of the Commonwealth but we are talking about an 'Anglo' union/friendship here and the US should be included.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:44 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post

Hardly. The percentage of Spanish speakers has actually declined slightly over the last 10 years.

The US is still firmly an Anglo country. No one (outside of City-Data at least) would ever question this fact. So yes, a simple union of Anglo countries should include the US since it is after all, the largest Anglo country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World