Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2008, 04:21 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I almost split the thread. Didn't mean to.

WyTex ranch is a big spread and they don't mean too but they spread and are dead. I've seen them spread out and a few people have purchased.... But right now, it's a dead end. Give it some time and it will prosper. But right now, it's dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 10:15 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,056,842 times
DessertRat and Elkhunter, I am glad it won't have a big impact on Wyoming.. I didn't think it would... I have never heard of such a thing, I didn't know there were tribes trying to take back land still... Thanks for the info...

Old 01-14-2008, 10:19 AM

7 posts, read 34,282 times
I have been reading this forum for the past year and listening closely to the pros and cons of the wytex ranch. We bought property there 2 year ago through RMT. Some of you have made some strong arguments against this area and not alot of positive ones. We are not an old couple and when we bought this land we hadn't decided on settling down there or not. But all I want to say is no matter what we decide to do, that land is ours. And land is not something that they are making more of. So any land in this country, developed or not is an investment. And if I find I can't see myself living there because of the remote location, I at least know I have somewhere to go to get away for a few weeks in the summer for some peace and quiet from this hectic world we live in. And who knows, maybe in 10 years our investment will pay off and that area will begin to grow. I am so sorry that some people have such a negative view on life and if your that unhappy being there then leave. My husband and I have traveled all across this country many times in the business that he is in. And I have seen good and bad in every place that we go. Believe me, there is no perfect place. And I have lived in places where I had to drive 100 miles to the nearest Wal-mart or McDonalds. And you just make due. I have lived in plaes like Kemmerer Wyoming, Soda Springs Idaho, Rangely Colorado, Thompson Falls Montana and these places are pretty well isolated and I loved it. So I do appreciate hearing what everyone has to say but I plan on making my own decisions no matter how negative some peope seem to be.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:50 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorated View Post
I have been reading this forum for the past year and listening closely to the pros and cons of the wytex ranch. We bought property there 2 year ago through RMT. Some of you have made some strong arguments against this area and not alot of positive ones. We are not an old couple and when we bought this land we hadn't decided on settling down there or not. But all I want to say is no matter what we decide to do, that land is ours. And land is not something that they are making more of. So any land in this country, developed or not is an investment. And if I find I can't see myself living there because of the remote location, I at least know I have somewhere to go to get away for a few weeks in the summer for some peace and quiet from this hectic world we live in. And who knows, maybe in 10 years our investment will pay off and that area will begin to grow. I am so sorry that some people have such a negative view on life and if your that unhappy being there then leave. My husband and I have traveled all across this country many times in the business that he is in. And I have seen good and bad in every place that we go. Believe me, there is no perfect place. And I have lived in places where I had to drive 100 miles to the nearest Wal-mart or McDonalds. And you just make due. I have lived in plaes like Kemmerer Wyoming, Soda Springs Idaho, Rangely Colorado, Thompson Falls Montana and these places are pretty well isolated and I loved it. So I do appreciate hearing what everyone has to say but I plan on making my own decisions no matter how negative some peope seem to be.
Well, it sounds as though you could make do almost anywhere. Have you been to your property on Wytex already? If not, RMT has a policy where they will allow you to apply your principal to another piece of land (of equal or greater value) if you're not satisfied with it upon your first viewing. If you've already seen the property, then I don't think the offer is valid. They do this because some people buy property sight unseen, and are disappointed when they see their property for the first time. Usually this is because people see pictures of Jackson, Wyoming, and think "I'd love to own a piece of Wyoming," then they buy in Wytex. If you see the area before you buy, you don't have the high expectation that people otherwise have of Wyoming land.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:44 PM

296 posts, read 1,183,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozengrandma61 View Post
Sadly one of the WyTex Ranch residents got stranded on the county road and tried to walk home when no one came by and was found frozen to death on 12/20. He was 70 yrs old and left behind a cat, two dogs and some chickens. He was a very nice person and had planned to sell his WyTex place and move to a warmer place but WyTex is a brutal place and if you are not accustomed to very cold and windy winters with temps and wind chills way below zero and are not conditioned for living in a wilderness area and you do not have very keen survival skills as he actually did as he was an ex military bush pilot you really should not even consider living in WyTex Ranch. He will be sadly missed but will not suffer any more WY Wytex winters.
I'm just curious as all heck how you have internet access?

Old 01-20-2008, 01:13 AM

59 posts, read 239,893 times
I have been reading these posts with great interest. I believe the key to living in the wy tex area wil be complete self reliance. You must learn about the land,the weather, and the people and get the necessary knowledge to be able to correctly build a home. Just talking to the locals and asking question can give you a wealth of information to help form a good plan. We found the building suppliers in Casper and Laramie a great deal of help. The were patient in answering all our question. It was hard to find the contractors we needed, but so far we have. Things seem to move very slowly, but we just need to wait our turn. It was so beautiful, peaceful and quiet when we were there. There was wind, but you get used to it and miss it when it stops. I photographed the antelope, prairie dogs, birds and squirrels. Just do your homework first, so you will know what to expect, and have a backup plan if needed. Good luck to everyone who trying to move and build. It has to be a better quality of life than the cities we all live in today.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozentundra View Post
It is interesting that you are worried about frozen sewer pipes and water in a 5th wheel but are retiring to a remote area where there won't be much help, if any, if your well and sewer freeze there. I just don't understand retiring to a place with 10 months of winter, fierce winds, off-the-grid, freezing weather, and miles from any sized grocery store or clothing store or medical help, and then worrying about six months in a 5th wheel when your pipes might freeze. Consider it good practice for the rest of your retirement. It seems to be what you are looking for in terms of how you spend your golden years.
Did it ever occur to you that some people other than yourself might know what they are doing. If you read the post you can see that we will not be living in the 5th wheel, because it would be poor planning!!! As for the well and sewer freezing, duh..... that is part of the fun of building a home.....factoring in all the Necessities that keep everything running smoothly. Yes, even in adverse conditions.
Isn't it miraculous how people have been born and raised in Wyoming, and managed to survive. Wyoming is not the only place in the world that has harsh weather!!!
The world is going to move forward, even if some can't fathom it. It sure would be great to hear some normal conversation on this sight instead of all the hatefulness going on!

Old 02-12-2008, 02:31 PM

12 posts, read 59,471 times
I'm brand new to this forum. My husband and I also purchased a tract of Wy-Tex a year ago, went out over the summer with the grandbaby, and met Bob. He led us into our property and it practically took a crowbar to get me off the property. Yes, I know we haven't been out there in the winter, but, I grew up in rural northern Illinois. Cold is cold, once it gets to zero. We have been all over the state in our travels prior to purchasing the Wy-Tex property, so we knew what the general area was like. Just looking forward to getting out there again this summer to start building the vacation/dream home. (And, yes, my dream home is a little log cabin...in the middle of freakin' nowhere...in Wyoming.)

Old 02-12-2008, 03:59 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runninfiend View Post
I'm just curious as all heck how you have internet access?
If you have phone service, you have internet. I'd even venture a guess and say that DSL can be had there.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:46 PM

Maybe you'll be our new neighbors! Bob also helped us get on the right road. We had turned down Beyerly mistaking it for Man O' War. Not to much that distinquishes one road from another. We are up by the big red barn. We hope to have a barn in the spring. Where is your property? We'll be there in May, Maybe we'll see you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming