Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2015, 08:31 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
What on earth does Turner Field have to do with Memorial Drive
Memorial Drive is closer to Turner Field area than many of these developments Cobb is claiming are associated with the Braves. 0.3 miles close at places.

I will take those developments over Tax-payer-funded-Bravesland any day.

And let's not forget, The Turner Field redevelopment is about three years behind Suntrust and has not even started. Once the Braves finally leave, the redevelopment will really start to spread.

And yes, Saintmarks, as much as you don't like it, SE Atlanta > Cumberland in development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 11:26 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,939,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Memorial Drive is closer to Turner Field area than many of these developments Cobb is claiming are associated with the Braves. 0.3 miles close at places.

I will take those developments over Tax-payer-funded-Bravesland any day.
Spare me, please.
.3 miles from what, the parking lots? To the closest gates it's at least double that and that's just to the Memorial/Capitol intersection which is right over the connector. Not quite an ideal development location.
Also, I know you (and any other good urbanist) hate freeways and how they kill walk-ability and the cohesiveness of neighborhoods, so why does it suddenly not matter that I 20 is in the way? Not just I 20, but some of the ramps for the 75/85 interchange. Of course, once you actually get to Memorial you're much closer to downtown. Then, if you turn east on Memorial where some of the development actually is you quickly increase the mileage to Turner Field and get closer and closer to Cabbagetown and Reynoldstown. Basically, has nothing to do with Turner and everything to do with proximity to downtown and all the currently hot east Atlanta neighborhoods. When Georgia Avenue starts exploding, I'll start listening.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:38 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times
Quote:
Spare me, please.
.3 miles from what, the parking lots? To the closest gates it's at least double that and that's just to the Memorial/Capitol intersection which is right over the connector. Not quite an ideal development location.
Also, I know you (and any other good urbanist) hate freeways and how they kill walk-ability and the cohesiveness of neighborhoods, so why does it suddenly not matter that I 20 is in the way? Not just I 20, but some of the ramps for the 75/85 interchange. Of course, once you actually get to Memorial you're much closer to downtown. Then, if you turn east on Memorial where some of the development actually is you quickly increase the mileage to Turner Field and get closer and closer to Cabbagetown and Reynoldstown. Basically, has nothing to do with Turner and everything to do with proximity to downtown and all the currently hot east Atlanta neighborhoods. When Georgia Avenue starts exploding, I'll start listening.
Oh, I never said Memorial drive is exploding just because the Braves are leaving. I am sure most of this would be happening without them. But the reality still stands that even today, with the Braves and their parking lots still there, the development in the area is on par with Cumberland. That will only increase once the Braves finally leave and the area is redeveloped. If you think nothing is going to happen along Georgia Ave, you are going to be disappointed.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:32 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,879,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
No kidding. Should've built it in Kirkwood I guess.
Nah, we prefer genuine urban experiences, not visiting a mall to get the Atlanta-like experience but within the safe confines of ultra-conservative Cobb County.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
And given the heat map that the Braves used to plot where their ticket buyers live (you know...the people who actually go to the games) which shows that an overwhelming majority live outside of the MARTA service areas or on the very fringes, I wonder what percentage of an average crowd at a Braves game takes MARTA now.

I don't know the answer, but I bet it's a very small percentage, just as the overall ridership of MARTA is a very small percentage of the metro population.
The majority of metro Atlanta's population lives outside MARTA service areas, what's your point?

Old 10-19-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
lol...the only prospect Turner Field even has right now is Georgia State building dorms and reformatting the stadium for their football team. LMFAO..no one else has even bid on it. Yea i'm sure that's going to mean GREAT development. Cumberland lagging behind Memorial Drive? LMFAO...what are we talking about, that crappy Fuqua development? Man take a seat somewhere. If that area were that desirable there would've been development around Turner Field years ago. Instead its surrounded by low income apartments, run down homes, abandoned buildings and parking lots. Summer Hill is a dump and it's the main reason the Braves are glad to get away from there. You can fool someone that doesn't have family that lives over there but I know better.

Turner Field surrounded by - > Summer Hill & Mechanicsville
Suntrust Stadium surrounded by - > Cumberland and Smyrna

Yea, that's a tough one. And I won't even mention the crime factor surrounding both areas. Sorry but there's pretty much zero better about where Turner Field is vs where Suntrust is. And the vast majority of people that go to the games couldnt give 2 chits about Marta. Especially considering most of them had to drive south INTO the city to begin with.
That area was once a vibrant neighborhood, but when AFCS and it's acres of parking was built, it destroyed the area and people left. Who wants to live around a bunch of parking lots? Look at Vine City, it suffers from being the parking for the Dome and future MB Stadium.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:04 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,302,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
And given the heat map that the Braves used to plot where their ticket buyers live (you know...the people who actually go to the games) which shows that an overwhelming majority live outside of the MARTA service areas or on the very fringes, I wonder what percentage of an average crowd at a Braves game takes MARTA now.

I don't know the answer, but I bet it's a very small percentage, just as the overall ridership of MARTA is a very small percentage of the metro population.
Your post has absolutely nothing to do with the post you quoted.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:48 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,939,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Oh, I never said Memorial drive is exploding just because the Braves are leaving. I am sure most of this would be happening without them. But the reality still stands that even today, with the Braves and their parking lots still there, the development in the area is on par with Cumberland. That will only increase once the Braves finally leave and the area is redeveloped. If you think nothing is going to happen along Georgia Ave, you are going to be disappointed.
Well you're certainly implying a correlation greater than none. I just don't see any connection between Memorial drive and Turner Field. It may as well be 10 miles away from Memorial. I actually want that area along GA Ave to take off, it's in a great location just south of downtown, I just remain skeptical.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:04 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,302,470 times
Quote:
Well you're certainly implying a correlation greater than none. I just don't see any connection between Memorial drive and Turner Field. It may as well be 10 miles away from Memorial. I actually want that area along GA Ave to take off, it's in a great location just south of downtown, I just remain skeptical.
I agree. I live right off Memorial, and from my perspective, none of the development has anything whatsoever to do with the Braves or Turner Field. There are a number of things driving the development on Memorial, but the Beltline is by far the main draw for developers.

Old 10-19-2015, 08:10 AM

1,054 posts, read 922,876 times
LOL, the fanboys are really reaching now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta