Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2017, 08:19 AM

32,028 posts, read 36,813,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
This is the issue! Liberty Media sees the team as business venture first and sports team second. They make decisions with no regard for the fan base, with profits being the only motivator.
Not to be too cynical, but that's been the story of professional sports from the beginning. When the city of Atlanta made a secret deal to lure the Braves here from Milwaukee, it had nothing whatsoever to do with their traditional fan base.

Nonetheless we were thrilled to get them down here. It really put the ATL on the map as a big league city.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:22 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Dude, the U.S. is a business now which sees the country as a business venture first, and the citizens second...that is as American as baseball, apple-pie and Toyota Corollas.

Liberty Media is just one of thousands of big corporations that is only in it for the money. I don't agree with it, but this is the world we live in today.
Ted would have never done that to the fans.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:34 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,316,509 times
Quote:
Ted would have never done that to the fans.
He sold it, to a faceless media conglomerate (which then sold it to another one) because it was a good financial decision for him.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:08 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,396,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Not to be too cynical, but that's been the story of professional sports from the beginning. When the city of Atlanta made a secret deal to lure the Braves here from Milwaukee, it had nothing whatsoever to do with their traditional fan base.

Nonetheless we were thrilled to get them down here. It really put the ATL on the map as a big league city.

Yep. And, for the most part, if the team doesn't make money then it cannot pay for marquee players, which the fans do demand. If they cannot hire and pay for the rockstars, the team loses and the fan base slowly dissipates anyway. So, better to make money and lose some fans than lose money and lose some fans. It is all pretty straightforward.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:51 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,882,447 times
Ted's Atlanta Braves > Liberty Media's Cobb Braves

In every way really. Liberty Media should have been investing in the team instead of their Disney Land that is drawing less fans.

Old 05-10-2017, 12:51 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,316,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Ted's Atlanta Braves > Liberty Media's Cobb Braves
In the prime years of Ted's ownership, yes, this is true. However, they were pretty much uniformly terrible (yet a fantastic money maker for Ted and his Superstation) for most of his first fifteen years of ownership, including nine seasons with more than 90 losses during that stretch. They were truly horrible. I loved them all the same - growing up in Florida, which had no teams at the time, they were the only baseball on TV night in and night out, thanks to WTBS, but even the overly optimistic kid that I was could recognize that they weren't good.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:08 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,270,128 times
I share in the loathing of Liberty Media, but they're not the "Cobb Braves"- they're the Atlanta Braves. Just because a few butt-hurt losers can't drive 2 miles outside city limits, does not mean they don't represent Atlanta, not just Cobb County.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:24 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I share in the loathing of Liberty Media, but they're not the "Cobb Braves"- they're the Atlanta Braves. Just because a few butt-hurt losers can't drive 2 miles outside city limits, does not mean they don't represent Atlanta, not just Cobb County.
Maybe some of those butthurt losers just enjoyed the transportation options Turner Field offered; MARTA, bike, walk, etc.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:46 PM

1,054 posts, read 923,020 times
Some.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:56 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,270,128 times
Quote:
Maybe some of those butthurt losers just enjoyed the transportation options Turner Field offered; MARTA, bike, walk, etc.
But that's not any different. Those near this stadium also can walk and bike to it. And anyone can still take transit to it (including MARTA route#12 which connects with the Cumberland Circulator which takes you to the game.)

For me, the ironic thing about all this is, I wouldn't have been able to walk or easily take transit to the Ted from my new place, but I can with SunTrust Park.

Like I said in one of these various jsvh Cobb-hater threads, I do sympathize that they're moving away from you. But it's not like they were in an urban oasis, or that they had much better of a transit situation than STP.

And, to a degree, it's also a shame that they're moving away from Downtown, the center of the metro and the traditional location of Atlanta's pro sports franchises. But, they're just barely outside the city, and it's still very accessible to most of the metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta