Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2009, 02:48 PM

5 posts, read 19,919 times

Advertisements

True..

My problem with it is that there are really no dance clubs in Atlanta. There used to be, but they have all died out. Primary hang out type clubs outnumber dance clubs probably 10 to 1. Maybe higher.

International DJ's come here.. to Opera and now Filter, on Wednesdays. They won't waste their weekends here. Which is a shame.

Anyway, I like that scene.. occasionally. I at least liked having the option back in the days of the Riviera and Backstreet. Now, the option generally doesn't exist.

I suppose if more felt the way I did, it would exist. Also perhaps if the ability to dance all night wasn't legislated out of existence, some of these places would still exist.

I don't think it's debatable that Atl nightlife has taken a huge hit in the last few years. It's not what it was 10 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 02:57 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_runner View Post
I don't think it's debatable that Atl nightlife has taken a huge hit in the last few years. It's not what it was 10 years ago.
Could be, but culture can shift radically in a 10-year period. And like you said, it's possible that legislative changes are partially responsible. Since I'm not into the dance club scene, I don't have a clue.

The past couple of years have also resulted in a lot of people spending a lot less money on entertainment in general. That may be a factor, too.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:17 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times
LOL in response to the above post--we are too tired from sitting in the traffic to drag out at night. Some of us live 'OTP' and those of us 'ITP' can still barely get around---it was awful today--on the NE side, I can tell you that.

There is a thriving 'nightlife'--East Atlanta, Decatur, VA Highland and Midtown and of course Buckhead---once The Place to Party---now it sounds like Rodeo Drive--or soon to be some version of that.

What would a drink cost ---$25 for a glass of wine--that could inhibit some--such as myself.

LOL

There are a few 'real bars' around but you have to have connections ---know people in 'low places'. j/k

I had to search for some places to take an outoftowner and this is fresh on my mind. It seemed like an 'easy' thing when I started and then it became 'difficult'. Story of my life.

having a piece of cheese with my whine tonight

Old 12-28-2009, 07:29 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
LOL in response to the above post--we are too tired from sitting in the traffic to drag out at night. Some of us live 'OTP' and those of us 'ITP' can still barely get around---it was awful today--on the NE side, I can tell you that.

There is a thriving 'nightlife'--East Atlanta, Decatur, VA Highland and Midtown and of course Buckhead---once The Place to Party---now it sounds like Rodeo Drive--or soon to be some version of that.

What would a drink cost ---$25 for a glass of wine--that could inhibit some--such as myself.

LOL

There are a few 'real bars' around but you have to have connections ---know people in 'low places'. j/k

I had to search for some places to take an outoftowner and this is fresh on my mind. It seemed like an 'easy' thing when I started and then it became 'difficult'. Story of my life.

having a piece of cheese with my whine tonight
My idea of nightlife at age 54 has changed quite a bit since the day...mostly friends' houses, but on SSI, DH and I will walk down from the house down to Crabdaddy's for a drink or dinner, or to the Delegal Room at the King and Prince hotel for a cocktail with an ocean view. That is what makes me happy these days. My, how times have changed.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:21 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,847,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Cameli's is alive and well on Ponce de Leon (Ford Factory Square). Yum!
I was just about to get happy when I noticed that you were probably talking about the pizza spot. The Cameli's I was referring to was a vegan restaurant that was at 1263 Glenwood Ave SE. It closed a few years ago.

Thanks anyway. Perhaps I'll go check out Cameli's Pizza...

Old 12-29-2009, 08:37 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,479,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
My idea of nightlife at age 54 has changed quite a bit since the day...mostly friends' houses, but on SSI, DH and I will walk down from the house down to Crabdaddy's for a drink or dinner, or to the Delegal Room at the King and Prince hotel for a cocktail with an ocean view. That is what makes me happy these days. My, how times have changed.
I absolutely agree. Just walking around the village/town of SSI and watching the waves crash on the pier is my idea of an exciting evening but then I am 'freakish' about the ocean--lol.

Those little shops and restaurants on St Simon's --you step back in time which is what I would like to do at times.

I don't know the name --but there is a tea room that I want to visit again.

I hope SSI stays just as it is for the most part. Brunswick/St. Mary's will develop and need to grow, I suppose but St. Simon's is 'perfect' the way it is.

Blue crabs, Lovin Decatur--I'll bet you've eaten a few. Fried soft shell crabs--heaven in your mouth. Raw oysters with lemon and horseradish --oh,yes--you can enjoy yourself at the beach.

'Sand in your shoe--you always return'.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:57 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl_runner View Post
True..

My problem with it is that there are really no dance clubs in Atlanta. There used to be, but they have all died out. Primary hang out type clubs outnumber dance clubs probably 10 to 1. Maybe higher.

International DJ's come here.. to Opera and now Filter, on Wednesdays. They won't waste their weekends here. Which is a shame.

Anyway, I like that scene.. occasionally. I at least liked having the option back in the days of the Riviera and Backstreet. Now, the option generally doesn't exist.

I suppose if more felt the way I did, it would exist. Also perhaps if the ability to dance all night wasn't legislated out of existence, some of these places would still exist.

Have you checked out MJQ?

Old 12-29-2009, 10:30 PM

314 posts, read 639,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I used to love going to The Crab Shack and that little Jamaican patty place ther

The patty hut cafe! I forgot all about that place, but I used to get such a kick out of their commercials. Chris Tucker had a comedy club there too, didnt he?

It makes me sad to hear that Music Midtown died, I remember living close enough in Midtown to be able to hear the music from my back porch.

Things I miss (may have been mentioned, but I didn't notice it):

Tortillas on ponce. I loved that restaurant like no other, and have yet to find a suitable replacement. I've found food that's arguably as good, but nothing that comes close to matching the price/taste/vibe that I got there. Nothing like driving 3 minutes, grabbing a burrito and a coke for $5.24 (If memory serves me right.. may have been 5.25?) and eating on the upper deck watching life unfold beneath you. It still breaks my heart every time I pass by that place.

Bridgetown Grill, mostly because I worked at just about every one of them at one point or another in the late 90s/early 00s. I probably wouldn't miss it as much if it wasn't such a big part of my life, but it was so I do. And their jerk wings, conch fritters and mojo-flavored steak really were quite good (among other things). I'd *kill* for an order of jerk wings with extra raspberry coulis.

I miss other stuff but they've already been beat to death (Pink Pig, Turtles, Richway, etc).

One thing I'm happy to learn isn't gone is Jake's Ice Cream. I used to frequent their location on Piedmont years ago and when I saw it was closed I worried that the chain went down with it. Glad to see it's still around (even if I live too far away to eat it very often lol).

Awesome thread, if a little bittersweet.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:33 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotch View Post
Bridgetown Grill, mostly because I worked at just about every one of them at one point or another in the late 90s/early 00s. I probably wouldn't miss it as much if it wasn't such a big part of my life, but it was so I do. And their jerk wings, conch fritters and mojo-flavored steak really were quite good (among other things). I'd *kill* for an order of jerk wings with extra raspberry coulis.
My fondest memory of the Bridgetown Grill was meeting Rue McClanahan at the L5P location.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:40 AM

314 posts, read 639,412 times
Maynard Jackson (how's that for a gone but not forgotten?) came to the Midtown location on Peachtree with his family years ago during a shift I was working, and another time the drummer for 311 came in when they were in town for a concert.

Good times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta