Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 06:27 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highriser987 View Post
Does anyone remember the old CoCos restaurant at the corner of Roswell Road and Abernathy? Its been a blockbuster video for quite a while now, but was in that same shopping center as the old Kroger. They always had good food and great desserts!
I remember CoCos! Their coffee mugs and decorating scheme was a dark chocolate color if I recall. I remember their great hot chocolate too

As a child I connected hot chocolate and anything with a mocha color with CoCos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 06:29 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrfly414 View Post
Mary Mac's tea room for lunch with my aunt and grandma (I remember the steep stairs leading to the restaurant and being made to eat those turnips Is it still there?
Yes Mary Mac's is still there! Mary Mac's Tea Room > Home

Old 04-22-2009, 05:57 AM

23,444 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I remember CoCos! Their coffee mugs and decorating scheme was a dark chocolate color if I recall. I remember their great hot chocolate too

As a child I connected hot chocolate and anything with a mocha color with CoCos!
There was also a Coco's near the intersection of N. Druid Hills and Briarcliff Rds. (on NDH across from Kittredge School). I think the building is a Lenscrafters now.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:15 PM

550 posts, read 1,637,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrvat View Post
The Stein Club in Midtown back when that stretch of Peachtree between about 4th and 9th streets was desolate.

I met my husband @ the Stein Club on Valentines Day, 1990... we didn't hook up that night, but ran into each other again a few weeks later... nineteen years later, we are still together.

Back then the Stein Club was located across Peachtree from the old dilapidated Margaret Mitchell house, which has since been restored, but back in the early '90s the Margaret Mitchell house was a sad, sad sight and that entire block was a blight...

Truthfully, the Stein Club was a dive bar... a dive with the BEST JUKE BOX in town!

I think Monday nites @ the Stein was $2 pitcher night.... the backyard courtyard was a great place to hang and drink beer on hot summer nights.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:20 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Just saw this on WAGA channel 5's website. If you were here in the late 70's, 80's, or 90's, then you'll appreciate this. Even if you were like me and watched Channel 2 or 11 Alive, check it out anyway.

myfoxatlanta.com | WAGA's 60th Anniversary

Old 04-26-2009, 09:13 AM

29 posts, read 108,081 times
When Seven Steers was on Roswell Rd, near the intersection with Peachtree, there was an enormous statue of a bull outside the restaurant. Also on Peachtree there was Taber Pontiac with a two-story high statue of an Indian on the roof. As a child I used to speculate how cool it would be if the Taber Pontiac Indian would jump down and stride up Peachtree to ride the Seven Steers bull.

In the mid-70's, Lefont had a couple of theaters that showed only old movies, The Silver Screen and The Screening Room. One was in Broadview Plaza and the other was in Peachtree Battle. Those old movies were on TV often enough, but seeing "Casablanca" or "Captain Blood" on a theater size screen was like seeing them the first time.

Best pizza place in town during the 60's was Bellas on Roswell in Sandy Springs. The dining room had a mural of some cartoon guys that looked like the Marx Brothers hanging out of a bouncing train. The pizza was so good I still remember it 40 years later!

The place to go for business luncheons downtown was Herrins. They had a fabulous basket of rolls and a specialty was scallops covered with mashed potatoes and broiled on a wooden plank. The place was always jammed with suits.

The downtown library had Margaret Mitchell's typewriter and chair on display in a glass case. No one even considered renovating "The Dump."

Good times!

Old 04-28-2009, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 10,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I don't remember that but we did have Mathis dairy milk delivered daily. And occasionally bought a can or 2 of chips/cookies from the Charles Chips' delivery person.
Does any one rember the Jewel-T man and the Dutch Oven delivery guy? We also cruised The Old Corral, Joe Cottons, Moons across from West View Cemetary on Gordon rd in the fork of the road,Teddy Bear Grill in West End, Lee's Lucky Seven on pine st, Country Green on Buford Hwy, The Clock Resturant on Buford Hwy, The Horn right off Peachtree St, John Smith Chevorlet on Peachtree down from Taber Pontiac, Atlanta Sports Cars on peachtree show casing the Avanti, J D Steak ranch on Sylvan rd, Bankhead bowling ally on Bankhead Hwy in Grove Park ?

Old 05-08-2009, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 10,338 times
The Harlequin Theater

I bought two cocktail glasses with the Harlequin mascot on the glasses from the Salvation Army. I was wondering if anyone could please give me the history of the place. What era did it operate in, and what was it famous for? I need a provenance for the glasses. Thank you.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:05 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbohog View Post
Does any one rember the Jewel-T man and the Dutch Oven delivery guy? We also cruised The Old Corral, Joe Cottons, Moons across from West View Cemetary on Gordon rd in the fork of the road,Teddy Bear Grill in West End, Lee's Lucky Seven on pine st, Country Green on Buford Hwy, The Clock Resturant on Buford Hwy, The Horn right off Peachtree St, John Smith Chevorlet on Peachtree down from Taber Pontiac, Atlanta Sports Cars on peachtree show casing the Avanti, J D Steak ranch on Sylvan rd, Bankhead bowling ally on Bankhead Hwy in Grove Park ?
I know a Jewel T truck visited our neighborhood --Mathis dairy was still delivering milk in bottles daily or weekly or something.

The bread truck--and I think it might have been 'Colonial'?--also had a weekly route.

I know I've asked about this before but I'll ask again--

It seems to me that 'Moody's Lake' was located somewhere near Lindbergh/Piedmont--possibly near the Home Depot on Sidney Marcus Blvd. Does anyone remember Moody's Lake?

Old 05-09-2009, 10:32 AM

697 posts, read 3,019,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
It seems to me that 'Moody's Lake' was located somewhere near Lindbergh/Piedmont--possibly near the Home Depot on Sidney Marcus Blvd. Does anyone remember Moody's Lake?
My understanding is that Mooney's Lake and Amusement Park was indeed in the area now occupied by the closed Home Depot location on Sidney Marcus, behind the QuikTrip. Long before my time but I've seen pictures/heard stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta