Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:17 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,895,026 times

Advertisements

Actually, I think this Wednesday's "Man vs. Food" on the Travel channel will be more interesting than the housewives. He'll be in Atlanta eating a 200lb pizza with Gladys Knight - or, something like that.

"WATCH "MAN V. FOOD," WEDNESDAYS AT 10 PM
Wednesday on "Man v. Food," Adam Richman travels to Atlanta, where he and another contestant take on the 11-pound Carnivore Pizza Challenge. Adam also stops by The Vortex Bar & Grill, and Gladys Knight and Ron Winans Chicken & Waffles. Watch Wednesday at 10 p.m. ET."

Link: Man v Food : TV Shows

That's my favorite type of "reality" show - the travel shows. At least it's REAL reality, where you can get a feel of what places are like, what people eat, how they interact, etc. Hmmmmm... getting an idea.... take the housewives of Atlanta, and put them on a boat with Anthony Bourdain in South America.... I'm on to something...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 09:50 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy404 View Post
Does anyone feel like the bravo hit reality show "Real Housewives of Atlanta" stereotyped our city? My girlfriend was in love with this show and forced me to watch it, at first I thought it was okay but stupid but then i started to think about all the negative stereotypes the show was projecting.
Any responses?
For people who are close-minded and take everything they see at face value, or for those who just don't know any better, yes, I think it stereotyped black women in Atlanta. Not necessarily Atlanta itself or even black women themselves. My idea of Atlanta before I moved here was a black mecca with young, up and coming buppies, and rapper wanna-be's. All of my information came from what I read, people I met from the area during college, and what I'd seen on tv. I found it was much more than that because of my limited knowledge. Television is a powerful medium and after seeing certain images enough times, faulty impressions are made. So while I think most people understand reality shows aren't real, there are some that will use the show to justify their own racist or stereotyped beliefs.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:36 AM

1,303 posts, read 2,095,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
For people who are close-minded and take everything they see at face value, or for those who just don't know any better, yes, I think it stereotyped black women in Atlanta. Not necessarily Atlanta itself or even black women themselves. My idea of Atlanta before I moved here was a black mecca with young, up and coming buppies, and rapper wanna-be's. All of my information came from what I read, people I met from the area during college, and what I'd seen on tv. I found it was much more than that because of my limited knowledge. Television is a powerful medium and after seeing certain images enough times, faulty impressions are made. So while I think most people understand reality shows aren't real, there are some that will use the show to justify their own racist or stereotyped beliefs.

Preach Now you said that alot of things in this forum that are said about atlanta is mostly hearsay or what they heard from someone else i Thought the show was halarious. I never looked at atlanta any different after watching that show because i know that all wealthy women in atlanta dont act like that

Old 01-06-2009, 12:48 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,376,020 times
a real "real housewifes of atlanta" would include

90% of the episode being a commute, either waiting a light or struck somewhere
10% of the episode being about home values and school issues.

That said, i also felt this was the worst of the housewife series. LA and NY i actually watched. ATL is just kept wondering what was going on. My breaking point was that birthday party. I changed the channel permanently at that point

Old 01-06-2009, 03:16 AM

1,303 posts, read 3,858,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy404 View Post
Probablly because if they called it the Real Housewives of Sugarloaf people wouldn't have no idea where that was but the brand name "Atlanta" is much more well known and more dynamic which in the producers' minds will make people want to watch the show.
Well couldn't they have found Housewives in Atlanta??

Old 01-06-2009, 07:22 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,683,442 times
I don't think it's any more sterotypical than what Atlanta's leaders think it is. They think Atlanta is a 'black' city and that's it, and that's all they're concerned with. So while I think the show sucks and is a ****ty representation of the South and Atlanta, they're not that far off from your great mayor.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:27 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I do think they were trying to make Atlanta seem blacker. The media always does this. Whats annoying with the media portrayals of Atlanta to the rest of America is that they ignore white Atlantans. When I visit places outside the south and say I am from Atlanta they say, "But your not black!" Atlanta has a lot of black people, but like you said its not 80% (35% of the whole metro).

I would have been a lot happier if they had done the show on Buckhead housewives living off West Paces Ferry or something so it was actually in Atlanta. They also should have made 3 women white and 2 women black. Now that would have been the real housewives of Atlanta, and it would have shown that there are actually white people living in Atlanta.
Very very good point. I will say it again Black Media over hypes Atlanta. There has got to be rich white people in Atlanta but according to the media, they do not exist. All the rich white people are JUST in Los Angeles....lol.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:54 PM

77 posts, read 311,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
Because thats the metro area of atlanta and everyone considers those areas to be atlanta even though there not in the city limits when everyone ask me where i am from i say atlanta Not marietta because they may not know what i am talking about
Me too, they lived in the Atlanta area so I don't have a bone to pick with that either. HOWEVER, why were they the Real HouseWIVES of Atlanta when a few of them weren't even married?!?! lol

Old 01-06-2009, 03:25 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,200,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
why do they call it "the Real Housewives of Atlanta" when none of them live in Atlanta? They are all up in Alpharetta and Sugarloaf areas.. none of them live in Atlanta.
Thats because Atlanta is the center city of the whole metro, thats for any metro actually. Like when I'm out of town(in another state), most of the time I say I'm from Chicago, even though I live in the suburbs. Alot of these places, the average person don't know where this place is located, so they use the center or biggest city in the metro to claim.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:24 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,359,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Thats because Atlanta is the center city of the whole metro, thats for any metro actually. Like when I'm out of town(in another state), most of the time I say I'm from Chicago, even though I live in the suburbs. Alot of these places, the average person don't know where this place is located, so they use the center or biggest city in the metro to claim.
I always thought that was a southern thing....Atlanta's metro is so big that most ppl shouldnt even claim to be from it if they are like an hour or more away. They are just in a small town in GA. When they did RHWNYC they all lived in NYC and even though one chick lived in Brooklyn....Brooklyn is still considered NYC.....they didnt have them all spread out in Long Island, Westchester and the Boroughs. But I guess in reality that didnt matter most ppl outside Atlanta dont know that those women dont actually live in Atlanta. I had ppl come visit me and asked to go places visit ppl and I asked where they said "in Atlanta" Im like omg all of this is "Atlanta"...lol I think the show was funny and it did stereotype but so does lots of other shows. Its just ashame that when you see black ppl on tv its never in a good light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta