Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 05:32 AM

513 posts, read 1,632,711 times

Advertisements

I've seen a few of these shows and really don't understand how most people could think the women and city are really like that. Sure, there are some, but I've lived here 20 years and barely met anyone like these women. And when I saw the New York show I didn't think that was what the average person goes through. It's just a TV show featuring a few people messed up just enough to make funny TV. No more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 06:38 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,405,521 times
Folks, it's a tripe TV show. Look at NJ, NY, and Orange County. No it does not show Atlanta in a bad light. Now, kids who cannot even go to GA Tech classes without the fear of being mugged, shot, or beaten, now that casts Atlanta in a negative light.
Frankly, it is simple POP CULTURE entertainment, plus Atlanta does seem to be the most entertaining. The funny thing is they call it the Housewives, but Dwight on Atlanta and the goofy husband on NY make the shows.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:46 AM

183 posts, read 230,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnnee View Post
These woman are only in this position because they married into it. Not one actually earns their own money. If it wasn't for their spouses, they wouldn't be where they are today. I would never want to define my own self worth by the money my husband makes. Money doesn't last forever and neither will their looks. Out with the old and in with the new.
Kandi makes her own money. she has been writing music for different artist for a while now.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:46 AM

81 posts, read 266,424 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I do think they were trying to make Atlanta seem blacker. The media always does this. Whats annoying with the media portrayals of Atlanta to the rest of America is that they ignore white Atlantans. When I visit places outside the south and say I am from Atlanta they say, "But your not black!" Atlanta has a lot of black people, but like you said its not 80% (35% of the whole metro).
It DOES seem like the media does this! I've noticed this also!

Old 10-27-2009, 11:08 AM

81 posts, read 266,424 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
The housewives shows are always stereotypes. But then so are others.

I know the real estate shows on HGTV bore the hell out of folks, but I do watch some of those like "House Hunters" when I'm eating dinner. Beats the news, most nights. Well, those shows are just as bad. Whenever they show an episode of a couple in Texas or North Carolina looking for home, 9 out of 10 times - bingo - White. A Florida couple looking around? Poof - they speak Spanish! The Atlanta home seekers? Yep - almost always Black. You have to watch a few episodes to pick up the trend, but it's there. It's no wonder people who live in other regions stereotype other regions like they do - shows like this make it look like only one group of people live in each area. It's grossly inaccurate.
I agree! I watch those shows also, and for Atlanta it is invariably a black woman looking for a home in the metro area, and of course, she has a black realtor. I watch those shows regularly and I think I saw ONE show in Atlanta where the couple looking for a house was white.

It is bothersome. You'd honestly think that the population in the entire metro area was 95 to 98 percent black.

And it isn't just that the women on Housewives are African American, but it seems to me that they fit a negative stereotype of African American women, for the most part. By that, I mean that they are easily provoked, have diva-like personalities, and like to make physical threats toward each other. They can't resolve any problems without resorting to threats. In other words, trashy type of people. The one white woman doesn't really make threats toward the others, but she curses like a sailor, smokes and throws her cigarette butts willy-nilly wherever she would like. And of course, she was being supported by "Big Daddy." So she portrays the white-trash element.

On season 1 there was one black housewife who did not fit that negative stereotype. She was not dramatic or given to shooting her mouth off or threatening the other women, unlike her coworkers (I hesitate to use the word "costars.") Well, she didn't come back for the next season. I don't know if it was her idea or the producer's idea. I do know that in the blogs she was considered boring (Yes, I admit. I've read the blogs.) In reality she seemed like a nice woman who was using her show status in order to help her charity. This season Kandi doesn't seem to fit the negative stereo type either (although I'm not sure since I've stopped watching the show) so we'll see if the producers keep her around, or if instead they find a neck-swinging, trash-talking, ("I will flip you over that couch!") idiot to join ranks with the rest.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:23 AM

[quote=anothermom;11366129]
Quote:

It DOES seem like the media does this! I've noticed this also!

Reality there are more blacks than any other race in Atlanta think about all the reason in why the media would say that Atlanta is a black city.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:25 AM

[quote=anothermom;11366473]
Quote:

I agree! I watch those shows also, and for Atlanta it is invariably a black woman looking for a home in the metro area, and of course, she has a black realtor. I watch those shows regularly and I think I saw ONE show in Atlanta where the couple looking for a house was white.

It is bothersome. You'd honestly think that the population in the entire metro area was 95 to 98 percent black.

And it isn't just that the women on Housewives are African American, but it seems to me that they fit a negative stereotype of African American women, for the most part. By that, I mean that they are easily provoked, have diva-like personalities, and like to make physical threats toward each other. They can't resolve any problems without resorting to threats. In other words, trashy type of people. The one white woman doesn't really make threats toward the others, but she curses like a sailor, smokes and throws her cigarette butts willy-nilly wherever she would like. And of course, she was being supported by "Big Daddy." So she portrays the white-trash element.

On season 1 there was one black housewife who did not fit that negative stereotype. She was not dramatic or given to shooting her mouth off or threatening the other women, unlike her coworkers (I hesitate to use the word "costars.") Well, she didn't come back for the next season. I don't know if it was her idea or the producer's idea. I do know that in the blogs she was considered boring (Yes, I admit. I've read the blogs.) In reality she seemed like a nice woman who was using her show status in order to help her charity. This season Kandi doesn't seem to fit the negative stereo type either (although I'm not sure since I've stopped watching the show) so we'll see if the producers keep her around, or if instead they find a neck-swinging, trash-talking, ("I will flip you over that couch!") idiot to join ranks with the rest.

Man lots of african american women do exactly what they were doing on the show, they represent some not all. Its a reality show Come on people pure entertainment.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:39 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaGuy21 View Post
Kandi makes her own money. she has been writing music for different artist for a while now.
And as a note, she recently opened a clothing store with someone else in Smyrna: STORY (http://www.examiner.com/x-24089-Atlanta-Reality--Talk-Show-TV-Examiner~y2009m10d17-Singer-Kandi-Burruss-from-Real-Housewives-of-Atlanta-to-open-Tags-Boutique - broken link).

Old 10-28-2009, 05:23 PM

969 posts, read 1,959,883 times
All of the women on the housewives show illustrate the stereotype of the place the show is about. Look at Orange County - a bunch of skinny, bleach blonde money-hungry women that all had a bunch of plastic surgery, NJ - a bunch of trashy italian women with bad tempers, NY - arrogant, flashy, but more "sophisticated" out of all of the shows, ATL - 4 African American women and 1 white woman. All exactly like the stereotypes of each place. Besides, if all of these people were "normal" there would be no TV show. If you think this makes ATL look bad, then this show makes all the other places look just as bad too.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:12 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,975,464 times
A little FYI for ya'll...

This Thursday is Part 1 of the reunion show!!!!

Lovin, I have 2 cases of wine, a 52" flat screen in the basement, and 25 people coming over....wanna make it 26??

It's some seriously good entertainment!!

Oh, and I don't know what's going on with my Nene, but I'm not happy with her right now....so disappointing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta