Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 03:54 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,441,215 times

Advertisements

The economist in me never could understand how we keep getting developments that induce people to spend money ( retail, apartments) replacing places that once paid thousands of people good incomes (GM Doraville). It doesn't seem to balance out.

I know retail provides jobs as well but we're talking a few low paying cashier and store clerk jobs replacing thousands of some of the highest paying jobs you'll find in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 04:24 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,824,086 times
OK, I did a quick read so maybe I missed it, but what are they planning to put there? What I got out of it was they are planning to make it a historic redevelopment and build some residential units nearby. I'm not altogether sure I even know what "historic redevelopment" means. Neverthless, I can't say it sounds like bad news. Good for them if they are able to repurpose the plant for something else. It's better to have something than nothing.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:13 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,879,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
The economist in me never could understand how we keep getting developments that induce people to spend money ( retail, apartments) replacing places that once paid thousands of people good incomes (GM Doraville). It doesn't seem to balance out.

I know retail provides jobs as well but we're talking a few low paying cashier and store clerk jobs replacing thousands of some of the highest paying jobs you'll find in the area.
the manufacturing jobs have generally been replaced with desk jobs at the companies that relocate here, like telecom companies, insurance companies, payroll companies, etc.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:56 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,441,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
the manufacturing jobs have generally been replaced with desk jobs at the companies that relocate here, like telecom companies, insurance companies, payroll companies, etc.
Wow that's reassuring. At the time of it's closing GM had among the highest paid jobs on average of any company in America. In the 90's starting pay was $20 per hour for low level jobs and much much higher for managers and engineers. I have aunts in Ohio and Michigan that retired from GM in the '90s making well over $30/hr with excellent benefits and retirement plans. These jobs have been replaced by telecom jobs? I would hate to have to live off the pay they generally provide.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:33 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,780,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post

I think it is unlikely another company would come in and go through a major renovation project to make that site work for them.

If the factory stayed in business there wouldn't be a huge redevelopment push, but it did close and is just rotting empty space.

Most new companies moving to the area are operating in cheaper exurban/rural spaces on very large industrial sites with more room to custom build their operations from scratch. (ie caterpillar in Athens, Kia in West Point, etc...) Those types of large industrial sites are on larger pieces of property, have room for future expansion, and didn't have the limitations of working in a renovated space with no expansion room.

Even locally most smaller industrial plants seem to be operating in places like Gwinnett, Clayton, South Cobb or Fulton Industrial more often. They have rapidly grown in the amount of square footage of industrial space. Many of the places that seem to require a heavy presence of engineers seem to be opening up in North Fulton and Gwinnett, like many Siemens subsidiaries.

But economically speaking what our city (ITP) areas need more of are dense residential areas to meet the demand of our fast growing professional services market with easier access to the city's core and Perimeter Center. This is why there is a boom in high-end apartments and before the recession/housing collapse there was a boom in condos. Those are well paying jobs too. At the moment ITP there are only about 750,000 residents. At current zoning, including Beltline, and vacant intown properties in the traditionally more impoverished neighborhoods we'd be lucky to get that number too much over 1,000,000. So there is a useful demand to be met.

My real concern has more to do with maintaining access to jobs for all types of demographics. Industrial purposes are being pushed away from the cities typical transit areas. Of course this is nothing new, but it could lower job accessibility to some people.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:18 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,882,447 times
GM project to be something totally new for region - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Sounds like the developer has big plans. Something more than Atlantic Station, but a whole new transit-connected district that is its own sub-market not unlike the scale of Perimeter of Cumberland.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:15 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
Default Doraville updated zoning for the site

Doraville GM plant redevelopment gains momentum - Atlanta Business Chronicle
The city has updated its zoning for mixed use.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:20 AM

32,028 posts, read 36,813,277 times
Sounds like Doraville is on fire.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:24 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,882,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sounds like Doraville is on fire.
And has plenty of elbow room.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:17 AM

32,028 posts, read 36,813,277 times
They do, cq. Let's hope they are smart about preserving it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta