Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2019, 02:35 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,071,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
https://kyburz-switzerland.ch/en/erod
Now THIS is an EV that I'd seriously consider buying!
Yep. It's interesting the photo is showing it being driven in the snow! I'm old enough to remember the original MGB and Fiat Spyder roadsters, they were beautiful little cars. My sister had an early-70's Opel GT, that was a hoot to drive and "tiny" although not a truss-framed go kart.

You may want to watch the linked video on the development of the Honda E-City, the Designer shares many of your concerns with keeping the battery weight to a minimum to maximize efficiency and space. I pretty much guarantee that if acceptance of this vehicle follows the original Honda/Toyota formula of verifying public acceptance and reliability, they will release the equivalent of the Civic "R" version on this or similar platform, look for a Honda electric S2000 in the coming years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfD67KCFxqI

Old 09-29-2019, 07:55 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,954,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
You are delusional
throwing in the towel I see.

Old 09-29-2019, 08:14 AM

12,477 posts, read 9,560,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
:
You may want to watch the linked video on the development of the Honda E-City, the Designer shares many of your concerns with keeping the battery weight to a minimum to maximize efficiency and space. I pretty much guarantee that if acceptance of this vehicle follows the original Honda/Toyota formula of verifying public acceptance and reliability, they will release the equivalent of the Civic "R" version on this or similar platform, look for a Honda electric S2000 in the coming years.

That Honda E is one of the sleekest and most distinctive production designs I have seen in a long long time. It looks more like a prototype for a car show. It's intended for city dwellers and is being rolled out in Europe. I am not a city dweller, let alone in Europe, but I am interested to see how it fares. It sounds very smartly designed for that target market.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:23 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Yep. It's interesting the photo is showing it being driven in the snow! I'm old enough to remember the original MGB and Fiat Spyder roadsters, they were beautiful little cars. My sister had an early-70's Opel GT, that was a hoot to drive and "tiny" although not a truss-framed go kart.

I really love how this thing looks!

Old 09-29-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I do wonder how expensive say a full on Ford F-150 EV truck would cost in the future knowing the power output that it would need to tow such heavy loads. I can’t imagine the size of the batteries in those things!

EV’s are great in smaller vehicles, but can automakers be able to make large EV SUV’s affordable to its customers? This is the million dollar question. America needs to rid itself of foreign manufacturing and production as that is a very dangerous economic situation if the U.S. has trade tensions like we do with China at the moment as it gives so much power to China to cut off supply production to U.S. companies. How will auto manufacturers be able to handle and obtain rare earth minerals that is needed for battery production if those countries aren’t willing to do business with them? This can severely affect their ability to produce EV’s.

I truly believe that gas powered vehicles will be around for a very long time, I just don’t think the U.S. is willing to spend so much money on infrastructure to handle the EV and autonomous revolution. I mean our state Government in California can’t even fix or patch up potholes for crying out loud, what makes you think they’ll be willing to spend the money on EV recharging stations and other improvements. As a matter of fact the government wants LESS people to drive in states and cities where public transit isn’t an option for the majority of residents like in San Diego. This doesn’t make any damn sense. Big SoCal cities like Los Angeles, and San Diego aren’t built to get around by a train or a trolley. Unless one lives in the urban core you might not necessarily need a car to get around, but the majority of people live in the suburbs and outskirts of town where a vehicle is definitely needed in order to get around. The government has this fairy tale analogy that everyone is willing to accept riding a bus and the train to work. Are they high or something!!?? Because there’s no way in hell you’re going to take people away from their cars to commute to work and back when so many areas in the county and the city the train and bus routes don’t cover!

It’s like state leaders think the public is stupid or something and are willing to go by what they think is right without any regard on public opinion. It’s not realistic and not fair on the state spending so much money towards public transit while totally neglecting the streets and freeway maintenance. BTW unless bullet trolleys become available in the future and the trolley is able to cover the vast amounts of San Diego county, then maybe it would make somewhat of a difference, but when it takes 2 hours to go a few miles or more taking the bus and trolley vs going a few miles in 10 minutes in my car, it’s a no brainer, the car is better, faster choice of transportation . Time is precious and nobody likes to waste it.
How well EVs do with heavy payloads will essentially be a function of how quickly battery prices go down per capacity and energy density. Generally, the trendlines for these have been that the per capacity cost has been dropping quickly and energy density has been increasing really quickly. I mean, it's only been about a decade since these decades-long trends started reaching a threshold where they're usable for the purposes of mass production automobiles, but just recently being useful for a different purpose than in the past doesn't mean those trendlines just stop progressing. Besides, regenerative braking, especially as the batteries become better and cheaper, is a really get fit for large payloads.

We're about seven decades in the US where private cars are easily the dominant form of transportation. That's a pretty long time, but that doesn't mean cities can't change to be more adaptable to other forms of getting around. The worst thing about cars, EV or not, is simply the amount of public space they take up and how dead having them as the default mode of getting around they make US cities feel. For the most part, East Asian and European cities, town, and suburbs have a lot more going on. Even if our development patterns were more like Canada would be a pretty good improvement. Time is precious, so it'd be great to have more things worth going to.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-29-2019 at 12:47 PM..

Old 09-29-2019, 12:37 PM

2,495 posts, read 868,168 times
Only serfs sit around for hours to recharge. The elite will always instantly refuel with liquid energy.

Only serfs have to negotiate with a program on a smudged dashboard screen or a fickle microphone to be allowed off the freeway on a whim after seeing the Cracker Barrel billboard.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
Only serfs sit around for hours to recharge. The elite will always instantly refuel with liquid energy.

Only serfs have to negotiate with a program on a smudged dashboard screen or a fickle microphone to be allowed off the freeway on a whim after seeing the Cracker Barrel billboard.
That's pretty funny given the many top line premium EVs there are. If we're using your way of looking at things, then elites get to do one better--they get to refuel at home while serfs have to go to their little designated stations and pump.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:24 PM

103 posts, read 71,987 times
They are years away from self driving cars. The only way it would work is if the embedded sensors in the roads and had a network that all the cars on the road coyld talk to Each other on. Money can be better spent by putting more time and resources into cleaner burning motors.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:33 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,908,758 times
Social engineering. It’s like kubuki theater by now......the elite always have new ways of how everybody should live. But it’s all the same.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:38 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,382,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
throwing in the towel I see.
I guess you don't have a clue. You are very delusional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive