Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2021, 03:38 AM

9,980 posts, read 5,677,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
I have driven all over the USA. I have seen more of the USA than the average American for sure. I have worked in the USA. The average American does not get up and drive 3,000 miles on a regular basis. Most Americans live in urban areas as well.
"It is estimated that 83% of the U.S. population lives in urban areas, up from 64% in 1950. By 2050, 89% of the U.S. population and 68% of the world population is projected to live in urban areas."
Greater urbanisation will dictate that the air in the urban areas has to be clean. That is why EVs, or any zero emission vehicles, will be adopted. The days of poisoning the air we breath are drawing to a close.
Uh.. yeah, OK. Like I said before, there's a lot of room between "you're far from typical" and "on a regular basis."

Oh, and be prepared for letdown if you think converting to EVs will suddenly make the air in urban areas "clean."

Old 02-24-2021, 03:53 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
There's a lot of room between "you're far from typical" and "on a regular basis."

It's practically a cliché to point out to Europeans how big the US is and how much we drive to get from place to place. As much as you think you "get it" conceptually, you can't really understand it until you come spend a lot of quality time here. In a few months I'll be driving from Chicago to Atlanta to attend a wedding and then back home. Round trip: 1,500 miles, or 2,400km.

As part of the American experience, there's absolutely nothing atypical about my planned journey.
I’ve done trips like that but they’re really unusual. Americans don’t have the vacation time and it’s cheap to fly. With a Tesla and their charging network, I could easily do those drives without much time penalty. A 30 minute break every 250 miles isn’t going to change much. I’m not going to do a drive like that in some flimsy city EV with a 100 mile range. I’d certainly consider a Model 3 LR. My “usual” long drives are under 250 miles. I’d do that in an EV with a 350 mile range.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:41 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
You are not typical of the average American.

You are right, the rest of the world does not have an obsession of driving around in construction vehicles.
Exception would be Australia. It seems that Hilux, Ranger, Navara and Land Cruiser are very popular there.

Old 02-24-2021, 04:53 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,062,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Exception would be Australia. It seems that Hilux, Ranger, Navara and Land Cruiser are very popular there.
Not as a normal use car.

BTW, Australia is the same size as the main block of the USA, with a small population in comparison. They have wild arid outback which dwarfs anything in the USA. 4x4s are needed as a necessity, not a trend, for a lot of the population.

Last edited by John-UK; 02-24-2021 at 05:12 AM..

Old 02-24-2021, 05:08 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,062,698 times
Quote:
Oh, and be prepared for letdown if you think converting to EVs will suddenly make the air in urban areas "clean."
According to the EPA, motor vehicles collectively cause 75 percent of carbon monoxide pollution in the U.S.

Most of that is in urban areas, where most people live.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:34 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,758,240 times
Quote:
According to the EPA, motor vehicles collectively cause 75 percent of carbon monoxide pollution in the U.S.

Most of that is in urban areas, where most people live.
According to the EPA, cars are 98-99% cleaner than they were in the 60's which is crazy to think that they still account for 75% of carbon monoxide pollution. I would assume this is due to the additional amount of automobiles on the road due to the increased population. I say its not the automobiles that are the problem, its the size of the population. This supports my opinion that we are overpopulated and that the bigger the population, the bigger the problem.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:05 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,129,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
According to the EPA, cars are 98-99% cleaner than they were in the 60's which is crazy to think that they still account for 75% of carbon monoxide pollution. I would assume this is due to the additional amount of automobiles on the road due to the increased population. I say its not the automobiles that are the problem, its the size of the population. This supports my opinion that we are overpopulated and that the bigger the population, the bigger the problem.
If you cut carbon monoxide and add population, it would be the same overall amount or maybe less, but with more people. The population is always going to go up. Unless what happened to Russia with two world wars, where they lost 30m+ people in just WWII, and now the effects are being seen.

When the world shutdown last spring, smog in LA went away, canals in Venice became clear, the Himalayas became visible from India for first time in what 50 or more years...

Old 02-24-2021, 07:27 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
If you cut carbon monoxide and add population, it would be the same overall amount or maybe less, but with more people. The population is always going to go up. Unless what happened to Russia with two world wars, where they lost 30m+ people in just WWII, and now the effects are being seen.

When the world shutdown last spring, smog in LA went away, canals in Venice became clear, the Himalayas became visible from India for first time in what 50 or more years...
Try to get China to shut down their pollution causing factories and see how far that will get you. And people are so stoked about getting ice vehicles off American roads.

China Emits More Carbon Dioxide Than The U.S. and EU Combined

Last edited by easy62; 02-24-2021 at 07:40 AM..

Old 02-24-2021, 07:29 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,758,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post

Thats my fear...the population is always going to be increasing. With less vehicles on the road, and the current efficiency of them, I would imagine that the smog would slowly disappear, the canals in Venice would become clear and that the Himalayas would be visible as well. I am not against electric vehicles, I just feel that a reduced population combined with our current technologies, they may perhaps negate the need for a alternative.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:39 AM

12,847 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
In a few months I'll be driving from Chicago to Atlanta to attend a wedding and then back home. Round trip: 1,500 miles, or 2,400km.

As part of the American experience, there's absolutely nothing atypical about my planned journey.
I think you're picking nits. The reality is that a significant majority of Americans making that same trip are going to opt for the 2 hours flight for around $100 (often less) round trip vs. the 11 hour drive which costs more in fuel than a plane ticket. It is atypical in that most people wouldn't opt to do the same thing you're doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive