Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 06:37 PM

88,546 posts, read 84,738,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
Well, I learned so many things from these books that make sense in my adult life. The Movie "Apocalypse Now" was based on Heart of Darkness and a Cure song called, "Killing an Arab" is not about killing an Arab (I thought it was soooo subversive and bad as a kid) - when in fact, actually, it's based on The Stranger by Albert Camus. Funny how things make sense now as an adult.

peppermint, I did indeed make up that list myself. I based it on a little bit of internet research and a little bit of things that I remembered from HS and college.
LOL, I had to read Heart of Darkness for an English lit course, but I'd never seen Apocalypse Now until it came on TV one night and I was watching it with my boyfriend of the time. I remember thinking, "HEY, this guy STOLE this story and reset it in Southeast Asia! I wonder if anyone else realizes this?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 12:09 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,319,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
The Curious Case of the Dog in the Nighttime I think that book was one of the worst i have ever read . sorry to say but lately books I have been picking have been disapointing me except for saving cee cee hunnicutt . Im currently reading the help and I hope it does not disapoint me .
If you liked "Saving Cee Cee Hunicutt "you will like "The Help." Both are good books and, oddly enough, overlap in subject matter.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Last week I read Elie Wiesel's Night for the first time. What a powerful true story packed into fewer than 120 pages. I read it in one day's train commute, on the way to work and back. Did not sleep well that night, either. This is a book that I believe everyone should read at some point.
I've read everything Wiesel has written. He's one of my favs.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,623 times
I am reading WITNESSING TO DRACULA by Billy Ng. Probably the funniest Christian book I have ever read. I nearly got it at amazon.com but managed to save $3.99 postage by ordering it at witnessingtodracula.com

Old 11-05-2010, 06:17 AM

13,402 posts, read 28,721,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
If you liked "Saving Cee Cee Hunicutt "you will like "The Help." Both are good books and, oddly enough, overlap in subject matter.
Read The Help a few months back & just Finished Saving CeeCee Hunicutt Both light hearted easy reads and both enjoyable
Another one along these lines and very good was The Secret Life of the Bees

Old 11-05-2010, 08:01 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Last week I read Elie Wiesel's Night for the first time. What a powerful true story packed into fewer than 120 pages. I read it in one day's train commute, on the way to work and back. Did not sleep well that night, either. This is a book that I believe everyone should read at some point.
This book was so good. I remember reading it in school and being unable to put it down but also very disturbed by the story. I still remember his description of his running at the end and the sour cream after they were rescued, those visuals have stuck with me. I can't forget them.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:04 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,100 times
I did not enjoy the Secret Life of Bees. It was just OK. There was something about her writing and descriptions that made the story very very slow and didn't completely bring the events to life. I would not recommend it, JMHO.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
I did not enjoy the Secret Life of Bees. It was just OK. There was something about her writing and descriptions that made the story very very slow and didn't completely bring the events to life. I would not recommend it, JMHO.
I agree but the movie is great.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I've read everything Wiesel has written. He's one of my favs.
This is why the book forum on CD is one of my favorites. I had never even heard of this book, Night, but just looked it up and sounds like something I would like to read so I just ordered it

I get many good book suggestions on here

Old 11-05-2010, 10:38 AM

About half way through Faithful Place by Tana French
Then I'll move on to The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest by Stieg Larsson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books