Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 06:56 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,801,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twain Shakespeare View Post
The two best books I have read lately are "The 1st Word: The Origens of Language" by Christine Keneally, which comes close to summing up our knowledge about knowledge, and "Doubt: A History" by Jennifer Hecht, the only history of philosophy I have read that understood what philosophy is about.
Thanks for the tip on The First Word.

I loved Doubt. Excellent book!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 09:23 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,706 times
I finished Borderland by Edwin Shrake and it was good, but the end was what I was expecting, which was kind of a downer.

I read The Life of Pi in one sitting and loved it! I loved how the events of the story were so open to interpretation. At the end I didn't know what to believe and I was surprised to find myself liking that aspect about the book. And I loved the part with the meerkats, of course, I mean what's cuter than cuddling with meerkats and having them as friends

I just got The Curious Case of the Dog in the Nighttime so that's next. I'm pretty excited to read it after I've heard so many good things here!

Old 11-04-2010, 12:42 PM

37 posts, read 41,685 times
Peppermint, David Lerner's "The Big Bang Never Happened" is half summary of the development of Big Bang Cosmology along with the parallel development of the simpler electromagnetic universe model. Even before I read it, the Big Bang looked positively Ptolemaic to me. The second half is an examination of the relation between philosophy and society, and explains the economic reasons behind the elevation of "the Big Bang" and "Neo-Darwinians" to the status of pseudo-religious "truths". I am not a Creationist or anti-science, but I now the difference between facts and theories.
J city, I have heard of "the Life of Pi". Fiction, right? Pi is one my my favorite foods for thought.
Peace love wisdom

Old 11-04-2010, 03:05 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,155 times
The Smoke Jumper by Nicholas Evans. I never read Catcher In the Rye, so that may be next.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:07 PM

I will check it out, Twain. Thanks.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:12 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,155 times
Default Saw where Plath's son

[quote=Ketabcha;16437040]The Sound and the Fury is truly a great book. It is filled with the pathos and angst we expect from Faulkner. I love his stuff.

The Bell Jar is a bit of a downer but that's to be expected from Plath. Those of us who were around in the 50s can really identify with it.

I like anything written by Nabokov. He was a genius writer, IMO. It's not so much the story but rather the style of writing that appeals to me.

I've read everything on your list except for "Silas Marner." I'll get to it next year.

I suggest "Swann's Way" by Proust. Good stuff.

Congrats on working your list. [/quot

I saw in the paper last week that Sylvia Plath's and Ted Hughes son commited suicide in Alaska - so sad to see that -- he was in his 40s

Old 11-04-2010, 03:13 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
The Curious Case of the Dog in the Nighttime I think that book was one of the worst i have ever read . sorry to say but lately books I have been picking have been disapointing me except for saving cee cee hunnicutt . Im currently reading the help and I hope it does not disapoint me .

Old 11-04-2010, 03:38 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,414,855 times
phonelady we are on the same page... I read and enjoyed cee cee hunneycutt about 2 months ago -- and the help is my next book to read. I have heard great things about it. By the way I LOVED Guernsey Literary....

I recently finished
(and recommend highly) the murder room by michael capuzzo.

I am presently reading ~
architect of desire by susannah lessard. very interesting but not an easy read for me.
I can't wait to finish it so I can start the help.
And that suggestion from twain shakespeare looks intriguing as well. The word?
I am so anxious to read another page turner!!!

Last edited by Mayvenne; 11-04-2010 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: meant to add

Old 11-04-2010, 06:18 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Last week I read Elie Wiesel's Night for the first time. What a powerful true story packed into fewer than 120 pages. I read it in one day's train commute, on the way to work and back. Did not sleep well that night, either. This is a book that I believe everyone should read at some point.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Last week I read Elie Wiesel's Night for the first time. What a powerful true story packed into fewer than 120 pages. I read it in one day's train commute, on the way to work and back. Did not sleep well that night, either. This is a book that I believe everyone should read at some point.
I read it for the first time a few weeks ago. Brilliant book!

Right now I'm reading Six Impossible Things Before Breakfast: The Evolutionary Origins of Belief. I'm having a hard time getting through it - my mind is on personal drama. Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books