Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 06:26 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
... [/b]So what? Bring it!!!

So, guess what? I don't care. I'm reading the book for the story and I refuse to be labeled as ethnocentristic. I learned that word in sociology and I use it whenever I can.

Yeah, I'm a brat tonight. I feel like I am 10 years old and up to no good. bwaahahahahahahahaha
You rock, K.

I did not get to reading the end of East of Eden today because I was out playing. I put together a little slideshow for my friends... here you go.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...GRw9PhD-V93PWw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 06:33 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Uh oh - Wild is my book club book for January. I was going to put Marjorie Morningstar down for a bit to start it, but now I'm not so sure.
No, no, it's not the book. It's me. I'm still reading it -- it's a good story. I was just at a section that, once again, she was talking about the actual trail, and I got fussy. I will definitely see it to the end.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:10 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
You rock, K.

I did not get to reading the end of East of Eden today because I was out playing. I put together a little slideshow for my friends... here you go.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...GRw9PhD-V93PWw

Beautiful pics, LFM. So many boidees (as my Brooklyn grandparents would say).
I'm so happy to see clear pictures of the mountains, too. When I was up your way in September we couldn't see the mountains at all around Seattle because of all the fires. Your part of the country is so beautiful and quite unique.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:26 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Just started The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway. So far so good.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:07 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
LFM you are bad, bad, bad influence.

I spent all day yesterday reading, finished one book and started on two others.

Didn't do a lick of housework.

Don't forget your book report on EoE is due first thing Monday morning.

__________________________________________________ ________

OK, I admit it, I did spend some time playing with the two wild and crazy and rowdy young foster pups.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:27 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Just finished Ann Patchett's "State of Wonder". Quite liked it, she is a good and vivid writer. But the Amazon is not as she described it, with insects and wildlife and all. I've slept out there in a hammock miles from any living person, the bugs and critturs are not as bad as in Ohio. Still a good and colorful story, which does not go over the top in believability.

Quote:

Ketabcha: As a very liberal young woman, I always thought it would be nice to have a couple of husbands working to support me. If you think about it, it is just as easy to care for the home of three as it is for two, I never planned to become a mother, and the variety would be -- let's say "interesting"! I never found any men interested.
Both of you, please read Brady Udall's "The Lonely Polygamist", a hilarious look at a Utah polygamous household. Lovely book.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-29-2012 at 01:37 PM..

Old 12-29-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
LFM you are bad, bad, bad influence. ... Don't forget your book report on EoE is due first thing Monday morning.
Ta Da! Finished!

Give me a deadline and I will meet it!

First, I want to thank my friend D&J for encouraging me to read it. I loved it to the very end. I am not going to zoom right into another Steinbeck, but I have several on my Kindle waiting for me when I am ready for another. I think he is a far better writer than I thought he was after reading the "Grapes of Wrath" and that may just show that the plot content is just as important for me as the mechanics, the characterizations, etc.

I will have to put this on my top 100, if I ever make up that list. Definitely a must read for anyone, IMHO. I think Steinbeck knew people and had a sympathy for them, regardless of their weaknesses or vices.

So, after I clear my head I am back to Stieg Larrson's "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo." For today though, I am hanging out with Google games and trying to fight off a cold. Plah!

Old 12-29-2012, 07:13 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Quote:
Ta Da! Finished!

Give me a deadline and I will meet it!

First, I want to thank my friend D&J for encouraging me to read it. I loved it to the very end. I am not going to zoom right into another Steinbeck, but I have several on my Kindle waiting for me when I am ready for another. I think he is a far better writer than I thought he was after reading the "Grapes of Wrath" and that may just show that the plot content is just as important for me as the mechanics, the characterizations, etc.

I will have to put this on my top 100, if I ever make up that list. Definitely a must read for anyone, IMHO. I think Steinbeck knew people and had a sympathy for them, regardless of their weaknesses or vices.

So, after I clear my head I am back to Stieg Larrson's "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo." For today though, I am hanging out with Google games and trying to fight off a cold. Plah!
I went and dug EofE out of my drawer. My bookshelves have drawers and the drawers are full of books too. Not sure I'll read it next for sure, but at least it's out. I am so close to the end of Gone Girl but the kids are all wound up right now as they just spent some of their Christmas money on some new toys and such. Too loud to relax to finish.

FINALLY got Minnie a Kong, though, so that's my entertainment at the moment.

Feel better soon, Deb!!

Old 12-30-2012, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I went and dug EofE out of my drawer. My bookshelves have drawers and the drawers are full of books too. Not sure I'll read it next for sure, but at least it's out. I am so close to the end of Gone Girl but the kids are all wound up right now as they just spent some of their Christmas money on some new toys and such. Too loud to relax to finish.

FINALLY got Minnie a Kong, though, so that's my entertainment at the moment.

Feel better soon, Deb!!
Thanks.

Yea! for toys! I couldn't read with kids (two and four legged) playing, either. There is just something so gratifying to watch your loved ones at play.

My Kindle is charged up, and Steig is reloaded. Now if I could just get rid of this headache! But hey, there are so many worse afflictions, I can handle a headache. As my elders used to tell me: "Woke up breathin' didn' cha?"

Old 12-30-2012, 04:29 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Thanks.

Yea! for toys! I couldn't read with kids (two and four legged) playing, either. There is just something so gratifying to watch your loved ones at play.

My Kindle is charged up, and Steig is reloaded. Now if I could just get rid of this headache! But hey, there are so many worse afflictions, I can handle a headache. As my elders used to tell me: "Woke up breathin' didn' cha?"
Ach, Mayberry. You need to go back to bed. I do too. I was just waiting for Dawn to tell me to go back to bed. It doesn't feel right without her telling me. I'm too tired to concentrate on reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books