Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2013, 12:57 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Bahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pssst. Just between you and me. Our secret. If, in a couple of months, I find The Dinner at the library, I'll read it in sync with you. Nobody has to know. We'll talk about it, just the two of us. IN WHISPERS. Sssshhhhh!

ETA: I would have repped you with this information, rather than have it all out in the open (everyone!? COVER YOUR EYES! Do NOT read the above text!) but I have to spread the love around a bit before I rep you again.

No, no, no!!! You two have to read it out in the open so we can all discuss. I enjoy talking about books that I didn't like almost as much as I like talking about the ones I did like!

And I completely agree that sometimes all of the "didn't like it" buzz is as intriguing as the accolades can be.

Plus, you'll never eat at a fancy, snobby, "farm-to-table" restaurant again without smirking. Especially if the waiter points at your food with his pinky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 01:19 PM

289 posts, read 569,687 times
"Supernatural: Frsh Meat" by Alice Henderson is my book I'm reading and I'm still reading "Safe Haven" by Nicholas Sparks on my Nook.

I'm also browsing through some DSLR Photography books on my Nook. Since I got my 1st ever DSLR camera for Christmas as have little idea as to how to really use it, I am skimming through trying to figure it out.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:41 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,016,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
No, no, no!!! You two have to read it out in the open so we can all discuss. I enjoy talking about books that I didn't like almost as much as I like talking about the ones I did like!

And I completely agree that sometimes all of the "didn't like it" buzz is as intriguing as the accolades can be.

Plus, you'll never eat at a fancy, snobby, "farm-to-table" restaurant again without smirking. Especially if the waiter points at your food with his pinky.
Hilarious!!!

Old 02-28-2013, 05:41 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,378 times
Quote:
Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a good morning giggle you just gave me!
And me as well.

Quote:
Hilarious!!!
I agree!

Old 02-28-2013, 08:32 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,870,716 times
Still trying to get through "High Fidelity" on a recommendation. It's been a great read, I just haven't dedicated the time to finish it off. I'm a little embarrassed to admit this, but it's what I read during toilet time (which can turn into quite a long sit before finding a place I want to stop).

Old 02-28-2013, 10:26 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Ok, I did not like the Hangman's Daughter.... I just don't get it, didn't find any of the characters to be terribly well developed, from the description I thought I would learn much more about the time around 1650AD, I waited for the end to see if it would make up for all of that....

No.

I feel cheated.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:37 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
I started reading The world without us by Alan Weisman last night, and though the Preface was interesting, the first chapter was about how our world decays. I suppose it would be interesting to someone like DH -- a fanatic about fighting the wear of the elements on our homes, but I was bored. I will take it back to the library, today.

With that disappointment behind me, I picked up the Kindle to resume reading Rushdie's "Shalimar the Clown." Darn it all, at 50% into it, I discovered I've read it before! How I didn't realize it earlier is odd, but most definitely I've read this section on how the lithe, darling of her community, Boonyi became a slovenly, opium addicted *****. Now I am trying to decide whether I want to keep reading, or leave it to forget again.

For now, I think I will just go shower and get ready to go to work.

Have a nice Friday, friends.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:17 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I just finished reading book #8 in a series of short books by Jerry D. Young. He writes about surviving during an apocalypse. They are kindle books and cost $1.00 each. I think these books serve me in my attempts to decompress from time to time. I like them.

I'm also trying to forget "The Dinner" and these books help.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:46 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times
I just finished reading Plygs (which refers to polygamists) by Ed Kociela.

I thought this was a nonfiction book but quickly found out it was fiction because he referred to names and places of the FLDS and I've read enough on the subject to know names and places and I didn't recognize a single name or place (one was a town in Texas that I know does not exist).

I finished the book though. It's really the story of that creep Warren Jeffs but all the names have been changed to protect the guilty.

I don't recommend this book unless you want to be confused with fake names and places.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:46 AM

23 posts, read 30,090 times
Just to be honest,i've only read few books lately. I'm reading " What It Is Like To Go War "by Karl Marlantes right now! The book I read before the one i'm reading now is "The White House Connection," by Jack Higgins.When I read a book it's usually one my wife have laying around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books