Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2013, 10:51 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
K, so I broke my vow to not download another book from the library until I read the 200+ books I have on my kindle file, now. They didn't have Kilmer-Purcell's works, but I did request a purchase -- maybe. Then, I browsed their new kindle additions, and downloaded another nine.

Meanwhile, still loving "Tell the Wolves I'm Home" -- to the point I woke in the middle of the night last night thinking of it, and had to get up and read a few more chapters before I could go back to sleep!

Have a nice weekend, friends.
How do you guys find books on Kindle that you want to read? None of the books in my 'store' are Kindle books. Now that I downloaded the Howey books there are some Kindle recommendations but nothing that I want to read. I Googled the name of an author or two but there were no Kindle editions of those books. So if you are only browsing, waiting for something to catch your eye, how do you find it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 11:01 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
How do you guys find books on Kindle that you want to read? None of the books in my 'store' are Kindle books. Now that I downloaded the Howey books there are some Kindle recommendations but nothing that I want to read. I Googled the name of an author or two but there were no Kindle editions of those books. So if you are only browsing, waiting for something to catch your eye, how do you find it?
I think I am fortunate that I live in the same county as Amazon, and our library system is very progressive, so I get a lot of technical options for browsing with advance searches. I also save things I want to read on the Wish list, and have things that aren't available alerted to me when they are. If I see a recommend here that catches my attention, I will just go out and reserve it.

Then again, I don't think I am as discerning as many of the readers here. I grew up poor and read anything I could, so I am more willing (I think) to give some books a try that others might not.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:14 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:

I get two emails a day from amazon about kindle books, Net. One is a "daily special" and has books for 99¢ up to $3.00. The other lists books for higher prices. I get the emails because I opted for them when I got my kindle (Dawn told me how to do it).

I don't know if they send them to nonkindle owners but I bet they do. It's an option in "My Account."

Go into amazon and in the drop down menu click on Kindle books. That should take you there.
Remember that The Raft People is a kindle book and I really, really think you would enjoy it.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
I think I am fortunate that I live in the same county as Amazon, and our library system is very progressive, so I get a lot of technical options for browsing with advance searches. I also save things I want to read on the Wish list, and have things that aren't available alerted to me when they are. If I see a recommend here that catches my attention, I will just go out and reserve it.

Then again, I don't think I am as discerning as many of the readers here. I grew up poor and read anything I could, so I am more willing (I think) to give some books a try that others might not.
I can totally see my reading getting out of control with a lot of downloads of possibles, but since I don't like reading on the ipad anyway, I thought that maybe there would be some books on the Kindle that are I might not want as 'real' books, but still be interested in reading. I was thinking that maybe getting the classics on Kindle would be a great idea, but I have all the classics on my bookshelves so it seems redundant.

I am still embarrassed by the boxes, and boxes of books (including enough interesting unread ones to make book-buying unnecessary for - um - years?) I am still sorting out into 'to keep,' 'to give away,' piles. I can see myself getting stuck with this house forever, without even the possibility of ever moving because it's just too horrifying to think of packing books. Not that I'm thinking of moving, or anything. But the thought crosses my mind when I am sorting books that I would have a real problem doing that.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I get two emails a day from amazon about kindle books, Net. One is a "daily special" and has books for 99¢ up to $3.00. The other lists books for higher prices. I get the emails because I opted for them when I got my kindle (Dawn told me how to do it).

I don't know if they send them to nonkindle owners but I bet they do. It's an option in "My Account."

Go into amazon and in the drop down menu click on Kindle books. That should take you there.
Remember that The Raft People is a kindle book and I really, really think you would enjoy it.
Thanks. I'll do that. Psst - did you know that there is a part 8 of Wool out that tells the story of a different silo in Wool? I'm almost through it. Have to go do chores now though.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:36 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Thanks. I'll do that. Psst - did you know that there is a part 8 of Wool out that tells the story of a different silo in Wool? I'm almost through it. Have to go do chores now though.
Thanks for alerting me, Net. I just downloaded it.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:45 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,975 times
Quote:
I was thinking that maybe getting the classics on Kindle would be a great idea, but I have all the classics on my bookshelves so it seems redundant. ... I am still embarrassed by the boxes, and boxes of books (including enough interesting unread ones to make book-buying unnecessary for - um - years?) I am still sorting out into 'to keep,' 'to give away,' piles. I can see myself getting stuck with this house forever, without even the possibility of ever moving because it's just too horrifying to think of packing books. Not that I'm thinking of moving, or anything. But the thought crosses my mind when I am sorting books that I would have a real problem doing that.
We moved here from Tucson, and I am sorry to say how many unread books I donated there because it wasn't worth paying to ship them, and there was no room in the Tercel. The first few years in Seattle, we made up for the loss, by buying more books -- many still unread when we decided to move into the RV and travel for a couple of years -- all to Half Price Books.

Now, I have a token bookcase of reference books, some poetry, and some classics I couldn't stand to part with -- less than ten linear feet of books. Everything else comes from the library, or gets downloaded to the Kindle. I don't regret it one bit. Now, we can pick up and move at will, and no more trips to the book buyer.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:52 AM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I was the one who had requested it from my library, so I get it automatically once they buy it. I'm sorry!! The good news is that I have like no time to read, so you'll probably get it and have it read before I'm done.

Look at me, all serious.

Really, I giggled like crazy when I saw your message. <3
Well, bless yer heart, don't you worry yer pretty little head about it. I really wasn't at all upset, and I'm sure that, 13 weeks from now when my downloadable version is available, that you and I will have a lovely time comparing our experiences reading this book.

Spoiler
Yeah, right. After I cleaned up the mess from hurling my coffee mug at the wall, I built a Dawn effigy from the printed pages of all of your posts and am holding the match to it as I type!!!

Spoiler
Not really. And I LMAO off when I read yours.

I hope you're having a lovely day. ♥

Old 03-09-2013, 02:11 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,368,233 times
Got a book out from library yesterday & finished it in one night (which in itself made me happy)-
“Marbles: Mania, Depression, Michelangelo, and Me” a graphic memoir by Ellen Forney, 2012. It's approx. 240 pgs.
Enjoyed how "accessible", relate-able it felt (FYI, I'd give it a PG-13 rating) even though the demographic I occupy differs from hers.
Also, it was nice to read & look through a book that moved quickly ("flowed" well), yet explored the artist/author's understandable ambivalence (in this instance, towards medication for bipolarity).

Old 03-09-2013, 03:15 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
Well, bless yer heart, don't you worry yer pretty little head about it. I really wasn't at all upset, and I'm sure that, 13 weeks from now when my downloadable version is available, that you and I will have a lovely time comparing our experiences reading this book.

Spoiler
Yeah, right. After I cleaned up the mess from hurling my coffee mug at the wall, I built a Dawn effigy from the printed pages of all of your posts and am holding the match to it as I type!!!

Spoiler
Not really. And I LMAO off when I read yours.

I hope you're having a lovely day. ♥
Oh how I adore you!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books