Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2017, 11:02 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,249,610 times

Advertisements

Finished up The Truth by Terry Prachett, and his Jingo is next on my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 11:14 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Just checked 3 out of library, not sure which one I want to start.

The Book Thief Marcus Zusak
Molokai Alan Brennert
Tales Of City Armistead Maupin

Old 02-18-2017, 11:31 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
I read The Impossible Fortress which is billed as a "most anticipated" book. I have no idea why as it was a nice, pleasant read but nothing I would hold my breath for. It's set in 1987 and I guess I expected a more adult oriented book in spite of it being a coming-of-age story. I would think this book is geared to YAs and as a side interest to adults who want something engaging and light to read. I did not find anything anywhere in the description to suggest it was a young adult book.

Each chapter is prefaced by a page of computer code which I thought was a mistake (I even reported it as a content error) but which further reading shows was intentional, the way some books have quotes by other writers prefacing their chapters.

What makes it seem even more young adult is that the computer game referenced in the book is made available via a link in the afterword.

My disappointment in the book is based solely on my expectation of a more adult novel. But it is a very nice light read and maybe I'm the only person who had a problem with it as all the reviews seem to love it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1501144413...on_feature_div

Old 02-18-2017, 01:29 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
For those who liked Clare Macintosh's, I Let You Go, her new book I See You will be available soon. My library shows a pre-release date of February 21st.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...html?utm_term=.
Fantastic!! I keep entering giveaways on Goodreads hoping to get a copy. No luck yet.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:16 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I'm reading The Afterlife of Stars by Joseph Kertes. I'm reading it old-school -- in paper! -- because I was passing by my library today and figured that I'd pop in. It wasn't even on the shelves -- it was in the downstairs "overflow" where the lady has to go get it for you (me) -- because it's already "old." It just came out in the U.S. (January 10, 2017) but it's by a Canadian dude so we've had it since September, 2014.

Anyway. I'm on Chapter 3 and it's terrific. Great writing. Interesting characters. It's early yet, but so far it's super.

Old 02-18-2017, 03:24 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Finished:
The Nix by Nathan Hill
The book goes in many directions with many story lines, but it was easy to follow. I had to read this book in several sessions because of its length. One conclusion I reached from the book: The more things change, the more they stay the same. All in all, it was an enjoyable read. I did find the sections on gaming not as interesting as the rest of the book although they did help to flesh out the main character.

Class by Lucinda Rosenfeld
I really liked this satirical novel set in Brooklyn. It covers issues of extreme parenting, class and racism. The protagonist is a flawed character and not likable in many situations. It is well written and I will read another by this author.

I'm going to attempt reading City on Fire again on Marlowe's recommendation. I don't remember why I quit. lol

Presently reading:
Moonglow by Michael Chabon

Old 02-18-2017, 03:44 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlily View Post
Presently reading:
Moonglow by Michael Chabon
I'm curious what you think. I quit on this one very early on. I don't remember why -- maybe it felt like a chore.

PS. I'm glad that you liked The Nix. Not as much as I did, I see, but I'm glad that you enjoyed it enough to finish it.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:01 PM

496 posts, read 395,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Nope, I haven't started it yet. It does sound good, doesn't it? Marlow recommended it to me a long, long time ago, and it's been sitting and waiting for me. I should probably read a shorter book -- God knows I have plenty of THOSE waiting for me -- but every time I look over my "to read" list, this one jumps out at me. Maybe I'll start it this weekend.
Dawn, I decided to read it and put my other book aside for now. So far so good, but then I enjoy SK'S writing. What I will say, is that in true Stephen King fashion, he draws you in and keeps you wanting more of the story. I think this is going to be a great read from beginning to end. I'm only at the 9% mark so I'll let you know if anything alters my opinion.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:44 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
King draws you in, not me. Last King I read was "The Gunslinger" (Tower series, Book 1) which bored me so much I was loathe to continue.

An email buddy convinced me to read "Duma Key." We'll see if I get past page 50-100.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:59 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Nope, I haven't started it yet. It does sound good, doesn't it? Marlow recommended it to me a long, long time ago, and it's been sitting and waiting for me. I should probably read a shorter book -- God knows I have plenty of THOSE waiting for me -- but every time I look over my "to read" list, this one jumps out at me. Maybe I'll start it this weekend.
Wait! I haven't read Lisey's Story. I think I recommended Stand By Me. It does sound good, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books