Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2018, 01:34 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Just finished "After Anna" by Lisa Scottoline. Very good in the beginning. The end left much to be desired as it ties up loose ends and accomplishes a nicey nice ending all too fast. Have never read this author before. Undecided about future books.
I read a number of her works quite awhile ago, and enjoyed them well enough. Then I just stopped. I didn't have one more left in me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
I haven't been interested in reading any fiction for quite some time now but I need a break from all the depressing books I've read lately so I am going to give this a try. I could certainly use some good laugh out loud time. Thanks.
You know what they say: "Laugh and the world laughs with you, ..."

I am listening Susan Monk Kidd's "The Invention of Wings" and it's well written, but it's hard to hear what disgusting persons we whites can be. I'm not saying whites have a monopoly on that, but considering white supremacists are still among us is sickening to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 03:02 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Did a search, and I see others have mentioned it.

Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania (Erik Larson)

Excellent. Got annoyed when my train pulled into the station because I had to close it.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:37 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Pleasant holidays to all...a healthy and happy 2019!

Read books

Old 12-20-2018, 09:26 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Finally getting around to Crazy Rich Asians, got the audio book by mistake so I have my headphones on all day... which makes me feel anti-social to DH.

We have a lot of Matriarchal Chinese in our family, so it is particularly amusing....though no crazy rich ones.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-20-2018, 10:48 AM

443 posts, read 437,717 times
Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman

Old 12-20-2018, 02:01 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,547,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Did a search, and I see others have mentioned it.

Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania (Erik Larson)

Excellent. Got annoyed when my train pulled into the station because I had to close it.
I think it is the best he's written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Pleasant holidays to all...a healthy and happy 2019!

Read books
Pleasant? Go for ridiculously happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Finally getting around to Crazy Rich Asians, got the audio book by mistake so I have my headphones on all day... which makes me feel anti-social to DH.
I often feel that way, but is it any less social to sit reading? Think of it as just being together -- and keep that pause button handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a l'ouest View Post
Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman
Looks fascinating. I clicked it to my TRL. Thanks!

Old 12-20-2018, 02:55 PM

2,341 posts, read 613,440 times
Re-reading Mrs. Pollifax Pursued.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:24 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
I finally finished "The Winter Sisters" by Robin Oliveira . Another good one . That is some kind of record for me . I thoroughly enjoyed this one as well and I actually like the way the author ended it . So everybody if you are looking for a good book then I highly recommend this one . It is a good book . One I did not want to end so im on to the next one .

Old 12-21-2018, 09:22 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,799,413 times
Default & loathing

A terrifying book:

Fear : Trump in the White House / Bob Woodward, 1943- , c2018,Simon & Schuster, 973.933 WOOD.

Length
  • xxii, 420 pages, 16 unnumbered pages of plates : source notes, index, photo credits

A riveting read, & already much commented upon. Woodward is an excellent writer.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:02 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Just finished Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walters. A reviewer on Amazon called him a "ridiculously good writer", and I agree. Many stories for the price of one book.

I read "The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving" by Jonathan Evison. Not so very different from Beautiful Ruins. At some points put the book down and laugh out loud funny. Bitter sweet, about a man who is down on his luck who becomes a caregiver for a young man with Muscular Dystrophy, and they take a car journey across the US. And the people they encounter. Really, excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books