Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2018, 12:11 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times

Advertisements

I'm reading The Last Sheriff in Texas: A True Tale of Violence and the Vote by James P. McCollom. It's an interesting story, but may have been better suited for a long magazine article than a book. The author is trying to build tension, but it's coming across as a lot of repetition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 12:22 PM

4,794 posts, read 2,797,961 times
Default Does the magic go away?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I've just finished a long sojourn in Earthsea. I read the first three in the cycle, and then reread them, to make sure I got it all. LeGuin is subtle. She writes well and easily, and you can miss stuff. I enjoyed those twice! Then I read the last three. I think I will reread Tehanu, skip the Tales, and reread The Other Wind.

The first three titles are the best, IMO: Wizard of Earthsea, The Ruins of Atuan, and The Farthest Shore. Tehanu, however might be my favorite.

There's also Tales of Earthsea, an animated feature done by Studio Ghibli for TV, & dubbed into English. It was very impressive - excellent animation. I don't know how faithful the movie was to the sources, though. But it had a good feel to it, reminded me of LeGuin's approach to things. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tales_from_Earthsea_(film) - I think you can find it on the Internet.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
It's so weird when this happens. I'd never heard of this author until I read your post. Her novels aren't my type of books -- I'm very much into memoirs -- and then, just last night, this showed up on my "you might like" list on Amazon and is now on my "to read" list. (No, I hadn't looked up the books when I read your post. I guess it's memoir karma that triggered it.) Anyway, maybe it's something that you might want to read too:

No Time to Spare: Thinking About What Matters
Thanks. I have read it. It is not weighty reading; I did enjoy reading it.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:21 AM

188 posts, read 202,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I went through a phase a couple of years ago. I love YA dystopian. Have you read these:
Most of these I have read and some are on my To Read list. They are in order of the ones I liked best:

Cinder(The Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer

Unwind (Unwind Dystology #1) by Neal Shusterman

Divergent

Legend series by Lu Marie

Six of Crows series by Leigh Bardugo

Divergent series

Delirium series by Lauren Oliver

Born series by Tara Brown

Rob Thurman books

Maze Runner

The House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer

The Park Service by Ryan Winfield

Red Queen series by Victoria Aveyard

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Did not read yet:

Matched (Matched #1) by Ally Condie

Ruby Red series by Kerstin Gier

Belligerent (Vicara #1) by B.N. Mauldin

The Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Scott Medbury books

T.A. Williams books
From your list, I've read The Uglies and Unwind. I want to read Divergent and Maze Runner. :] I actually haven't heard of the rest, so will have to look them up. There's so many out there!

Currently reading: Unbound - Jim Hines (book three in the Libriomancer series)

Old 04-12-2018, 07:22 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Just finished Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn, at first I was ready to chuck it, as I found the writing choppy, stuck with it and glad I did, good book.

I started We Were The Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter last night, so far very good.
WWTLO is on my list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
If I were to get a goat, I think I'd have to name him Wrigley. (Or maybe Murphy if I had 2.)

To keep on topic, I'll say that I started a YA book called Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda. I bought it a few months back, not realizing a movie was coming out based on the book. (Movie is called Love, Simon.) It's definitely a YA read, but so far I am enjoying it a lot.
Good names.

How is the book? That one has been on my list to read.

I am falling behind in reading. Too much going on. I did finish The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison. I thought it was very good but creepy. A wealthy man has an obsession with butterflies. He builds a secure and hidden garden and kidnaps young girls to keep in his garden forever. At age 21 he "lovingly" kills them and puts them on display with their tattooed wings in his garden. Creepy but good story. It is told from one of the girls after they all get out during interrogation.

I just started Wait For Dark by Kay Hooper which is a Bishop series. So far there have been some strange accidents in a small town that make no sense. They all got the same text just before they died "wait for dark".

OK...off to do some fencing.

Old 04-12-2018, 01:39 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:

I am falling behind in reading. Too much going on. I did finish The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison. I thought it was very good but creepy. A wealthy man has an obsession with butterflies. He builds a secure and hidden garden and kidnaps young girls to keep in his garden forever. At age 21 he "lovingly" kills them and puts them on display with their tattooed wings in his garden. Creepy but good story. It is told from one of the girls after they all get out during interrogation.

OK...off to do some fencing.
Sounds a lot like Perfume by Patrick Suskind https://www.amazon.com/Perfume-Murde.../dp/B00YZG2BJS

Hopefully I get fencing done in the coming week.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:47 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Quote:
WWTLO is on my list.
Good names.

How is the book? That one has been on my list to read.
It was a quick read and I enjoyed it a lot. The only thing I didn't love was that everyone in the book was a little too perfect. But, it's a book for kids, and I think it is a great story for kids who are in, say, 7th through 12th grade to read, even if they aren't gay. I'd love for my son to read it but he won't. It's a cute story, and I'd like to see the movie.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:20 AM

829 posts, read 411,090 times
Just finished "Year One" by Nora Roberts https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34311452-year-one

I'm giving it 3 out of 5 stars. I had to struggle through it as I thought about quitting it several times. A bit to "magical" for my liking with all the faeries flitting about. Just wasn't very believable to me. Guess I was envisioning a more "gritty" end of the world as we know it story.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:26 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
It was a quick read and I enjoyed it a lot. The only thing I didn't love was that everyone in the book was a little too perfect. But, it's a book for kids, and I think it is a great story for kids who are in, say, 7th through 12th grade to read, even if they aren't gay. I'd love for my son to read it but he won't. It's a cute story, and I'd like to see the movie.
Are you talking about "We Were The Lucky Ones" ? I think you have the wrong initials It is not a book for kids at all. It is an excellent book for adults, and I would even read it again, it was that good.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:51 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Are you talking about "We Were The Lucky Ones" ? I think you have the wrong initials It is not a book for kids at all. It is an excellent book for adults, and I would even read it again, it was that good.
Oh - no. Simon and the Homo Sapiens Agenda. The quote didn't include the quote within that quote.

I have We Were The Lucky Ones in my TBR pile, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books