Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2019, 08:52 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,849,240 times

Advertisements

Re Michener—
Someone repped me for mentioning “Centennial” and recommended “Texas”
I read that couple of times but not lately
Found this interview on Google Books w/Michener
https://books.google.com/books?id=bb...llegals&f=true
Thought some of you might be interested

Some of his comments are spot on regarding todays’s hot topics like gun control...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 09:55 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,845,164 times
Just finished~The Haunting of Riley Watson (Riveting Haunted House Mystery, #1)by Alexandria Clarke
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...f-riley-watson

and now reading~The Skeleton Takes a Bow
(Family Skeleton Mystery #2) by Leigh Perry
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...on-takes-a-bow

Old 09-09-2019, 11:11 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,776,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Re Michener—
Someone repped me for mentioning “Centennial” and recommended “Texas”
I read that couple of times but not lately
Found this interview on Google Books w/Michener
https://books.google.com/books?id=bb...llegals&f=true
Thought some of you might be interested

Some of his comments are spot on regarding todays’s hot topics like gun control...
I'm not the one who repped you but I enjoyed both of them. Some issues are just timeless. I do like Michener, but sometimes I get bogged down in the details, especially about battles and things like that.

I just started Michener's "Hawaii" - thought I'd read it years ago but now I realize that was "Molokai" by O.A. Bushnell. Once I get past looking for the characters from "Molokai" I'll hit my stride. I read "Molokai" in high school and that was a long time ago. You'd think I'd have forgotten them, but nope - it was that memorable. Anyway, by the the time I finish "Hawaii" I think I'll have had a pretty broad education about that whole area.

Has anyone read Michener's "The Novel"? I picked it up at an estate sale recently. It's a complete departure from his historical novels so I'll be interested to see how it goes. Must finish "Hawaii" first so off to get my chores done so I can justify settling down for my daily read!

Old 09-09-2019, 01:48 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Trying to fill in some gaps in my youthful reading, just started The Little Prince. I've had an interest in aviation since I was a young boy and its author, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, who was shot down over the Mediterranean flying an unarmed P-38 in 1944, pops up often in aviation literature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
That was really such a delightful book!!! Hope you love it!

I did! And I don't believe it should be confined to the Juvenile section of the library, I believe sometimes viewing the world through the eyes of a child can be very enlightening.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:29 PM

4,724 posts, read 4,416,945 times
Well, I finished Crossing to Safety. I think I need to digest it a bit and although I read it on kindle I am thinking of flipping through some of the actual book.
It was for sure beautifully written and parts of it were really engrossing but I did not adore it and I know several people who have said it was one of the best books they ever read. I did not feel that...........but again, I may let it digest a bit more. Not a light read.
Burdell I am so glad you enjoyed the Little Prince. (If you haven't read Anne of Green Gables, as I had not until about a year or two ago- let me tell you that is also a delight).

Undecided what I will read next. For book club is the Alice Network. Hope I can get into it.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:10 PM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

For something light and lovely, can I recommend The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister? It's a novel about a chef who closes her restaurant one night a week to offer a cooking school, and the students who come to her class. It's not fluff, and there are some characters who have difficult stories, but it's lovely and much easier. Very sensual.
Sounds very interesting. Thank you! I will check it out on goodreads and put it on my TBR list

Old 09-10-2019, 02:05 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,114 times
I just started Happiness: A Memoir by Heather Harpham. So far, so good. The writing is captivating, but I'm too early to tell if I'll like the story as much. It did, however, make me cry by page 18 so that is a good sign.

This book was chosen by a new book club that I was invited to join. I start a new job and join a new book club all next week and my husband pointed out that I'm more concerned about not fitting in or liking the new book club more than I am the new job! Book club "fit" is important!

Old 09-10-2019, 02:36 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I just started Happiness: A Memoir by Heather Harpham. So far, so good. The writing is captivating, but I'm too early to tell if I'll like the story as much. It did, however, make me cry by page 18 so that is a good sign.

This book was chosen by a new book club that I was invited to join. I start a new job and join a new book club all next week and my husband pointed out that I'm more concerned about not fitting in or liking the new book club more than I am the new job! Book club "fit" is important!
I *really* -- and I mean REALLY -- liked that book, as is evidenced here: //www.city-data.com/forum/49873451-post20179.html

Good luck with the new job! (And, more importantly, with the book club. )

Old 09-11-2019, 03:04 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,347,106 times
A Spy's Son Real life story about a CIA double spy who turned his son into a spy when he was caught and sent to prison.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:34 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
I finished The Hotel Neversink. Meh. It wasn't as good -- not even the writing -- as his other novel The Grand Tour. Aside from that, though, I gravitate to memoirs; this was a novel and -- even worse than that, for me -- a mystery. Not at all my cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books