Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2019, 08:30 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times

Advertisements

Started “Chesapeake” by Michener again
I love his style—so fluid and he makes his characters unique
This is one book I read a long time ago that had a good bit about the ecology of the Chesapeake area and what man did to corrupt Nature’s creation...
Seems like Michener was ahead of the curve...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 04:59 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
In this thread, JrzDefector asked about interlinked short stories. Of course the best and only answer is Olive Kitteridge, but then I found a list of the style for her.

I've been struggling to find a book that I can commit to and enjoy so I thought I'd try one of them. I started Eveningland by Michael Knight yesterday. And I FINISHED it yesterday. The linking is only that they all take place in or near Mobile, Alabama. Not much of a link if you ask me. But, DAMN, this man can write, he has a beautiful style, and the characters are so well-defined and interesting. Just an absolute joy to read. And I don't even LIKE short stories!!!

ETA: I'd be remiss if I didn't mention, regarding the linking, that sometimes a character will appear again in a later story. But the stories, as a sum, do not create anything resembling a novel, which is what I always hope for from "interlinked stories." That said, this book is wonderful as it is -- as stories that take place in or near Mobile, Alabama and sometimes revisiting a character.

Last edited by DawnMTL; 08-27-2019 at 06:29 AM..

Old 08-27-2019, 06:24 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times

Old 08-27-2019, 07:04 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
Has anyone read Idaho by Emily Ruskovich? I saw the author on the Today show today and it sounded like a book I could get behind (beautifully written, debut novel, the landscape plays a major role...), but then I looked at Amazon reviews and it sounds like one that might just be frustrating.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:25 AM

831 posts, read 412,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Has anyone read Idaho by Emily Ruskovich? I saw the author on the Today show today and it sounded like a book I could get behind (beautifully written, debut novel, the landscape plays a major role...), but then I looked at Amazon reviews and it sounds like one that might just be frustrating.
I recommended this book about a month ago. I absolutely LOVED it and gave it 5 stars! Couldn't understand the low reviews as I thought it was outstanding...

Old 08-27-2019, 09:28 AM

831 posts, read 412,794 times
Well, the last book on my library stack was "The Broken Girls" by Simone St. James https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...e-broken-girls

This was a 2 star read for me. No more mystery books for me, I just can't get into them...

Old 08-27-2019, 03:07 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Started “Chesapeake” by Michener again
I love his style—so fluid and he makes his characters unique
This is one book I read a long time ago that had a good bit about the ecology of the Chesapeake area and what man did to corrupt Nature’s creation...
Seems like Michener was ahead of the curve...

I always enjoyed the Michener books centered on a particular area, tracing it, often from prehistoric times to the present. I think I've read most if not all of them, might be time for a few re-reads.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:12 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Trying to fill in some gaps in my youthful reading, just started The Little Prince. I've had an interest in aviation since I was a young boy and its author, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, who was shot down over the Mediterranean flying an unarmed P-38 in 1944, pops up often in aviation literature.

Old 08-27-2019, 06:31 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Trying to fill in some gaps in my youthful reading, just started The Little Prince. I've had an interest in aviation since I was a young boy and its author, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, who was shot down over the Mediterranean flying an unarmed P-38 in 1944, pops up often in aviation literature.
That was really such a delightful book!!! Hope you love it!

Old 08-28-2019, 12:45 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,399 times
Just starting David McCullough's The Pioneers. I read somewhere that he had done research at Marietta College so I hoped I might glean something new about my third great grand uncle. Dang, nothing I hadn't discovered, but it's a very good read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books