Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 06:01 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,010,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It's really not fair to compare small European countries to the US. I know, because I was doing the same thing after visiting Ireland for the first time. Now I love Ireland and have been a couple of times, and I noticed how some things seem to work better than here at home.

Than someone pointed out to me you're comparing a country that has well under 5 million people with a country that has well over 300 million.

And these European countries aren't getting overwhelmed with people who are just coming across the border either, further straining the systems in regards to education, healthcare, and employment.
I understand that but it really comes down to how a country redistributes and manages their wealth. The US is vastly richer than Ireland. I used to think this too until my Danish gf once told me that Denmark is able to do what they do on a tiny budget compared to the US and what they can do. There always seems to be trillions for war and corporate welfare though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 06:05 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

And these European countries aren't getting overwhelmed with people who are just coming across the border either, further straining the systems in regards to education, healthcare, and employment.
Actually, they are. Mostly from Middle-Eastern and African nations though.

But your point about comparing countries of 5 or even 50 million to America with 315 million is correct.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Not at all. You are superimposing your biases on what I, and others, are writing. You have these stereotyped suppositions about boomers and you overlay them without critical analysis.

You know bub, it's hard to think and respond maturely when you are still young. But some young people do pretty well in spite of their youth. I notice the ones who do think with sophistication and depth are those who engage in conversations by asking questions and being willing to examine things without the kinds of preconceptions you override everything with.

Note: again, I don't hold those generalizations about millennials as true. I flat out disagree that it has anything to do with generation.

But the real nut of what I have just pointed out to you, repeatedly, is: regardless of whether lots of FOX News and Alex Jones audiences are boomers, there is - ZERO - factor there that encompasses an entire generation's character. The existence of legions of bumble-brained old folks who never learned to think logically / rationally doesn't mean that is a marker of age. It's a marker of young people who couldn't think their way out of a garbage sack growing into old people who still can't think their way out of a garbage sack. Simple.

You not only need to read Brave New World, but also a basic introduction to logic and rational analysis.

Btw: I didn't suggest you read 1984. Slow down. Read carefully. Learn how to process what people are saying without jumping to conclusions and generalizing.

Or don't. And make a fool of yourself.
Fair enough. I get that but out of all the things we debated about the snarky comments about baby boomers is what stuck out in your mind? Ever generation has some characteristics. I was just pointing that I've noticed the characteristics of the baby boomer generation seems to be that onus is mostly on the individual. The premise stems from thinking that things are fixed, something about human nature and that the American system is pretty exceptional. You don't necessarily have to be right wing but I've noticed more older people holding those views.

But why brave new world if you didn't mean for me to understand that this world is run by a concentrated and manipulative elite? What was I supposed to gather from that if not that you subscribed to the conspiracy theory view of history?

Old 02-21-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Actually, they are. Mostly from Middle-Eastern and African nations though.

But your point about comparing countries of 5 or even 50 million to America with 315 million is correct.
No its not. That's a typical canard (usually used by the right) to discredit any comparisons between the US and the social democracies of Europe. It's all in how a nation devotes its resources and we are a vastly wealthy nation. Universal health care has been proposed by politicians since the Truman years.

Tulemutt, my god you claim to not be conservative but I don't know man. I just don't know. I guess you'll attribute it to "thinking outside the box".

Old 02-21-2015, 06:54 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I wouldn't move to any of those "orange" states rent-free with paid utilities.
Okay, what's an "orange" state? I even Googled it, and there was a "free Orange state" in South Africa back in 1800 something, named such because of a river there named the Orange River.

I don't get it. And I admit it.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:24 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Dude, if you want it spelled out simpler. Not all baby boomers are fox news right wing tea partiers but most Fox News tea partiers are aging baby boomer types.
What is this thing you call a "baby boomer type?" Either we are boomers or we're not. If we weren't aging we'd be dead already.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 02-21-2015 at 07:35 PM..

Old 02-21-2015, 08:29 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
What is this thing you call a "baby boomer type?" Either we are boomers or we're not. If we weren't aging we'd be dead already.
lol..he was inarticulate but I don't think he meant it the way it came out. I'm 68 and didn't feel insulted; but then I am queen of typing stuff and then after reading it wondering why I wrote it, so I try to cut people some slack when it appears that they do the same.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:52 PM

Well, it does seem that he is basically saying anyone in a certain age group believes and behaves the same. What a whipper snapper.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:36 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
What a whipper snapper.
lol I haven't heard that in years

Old 02-21-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
lol I haven't heard that in years
Yeah, it's a baby boomer term, learned from the previous generation (Depression Babies), who were to blame for all of the troubles of our generation (Baby Boomers), who are to blame for all of the trouble of the current generation (Generation X)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California