Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 09:26 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
26 is not a gen x'r. Far from it. They are called millennials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
My mistake, I stand corrected. Sorry about that.
Hey! Why are they still blaming the Baby Boomers then? Time to move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 09:37 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Hey! Why are they still blaming the Baby Boomers then? Time to move on.
I guess I'm fortunate. I'm in the vanguard of the Boomers - born in 1946 - and have five children ranging in age from 27 to 45. Four of the five own their own homes and are doing fine. None that I'm aware of are blaming my generation for anything. Three of them - all my daughters - may be blaming me for the fact that their mother and I divorced after 25 years but that's an individual blame, not generational. I can live with it.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:45 AM

1956 here. Yeah, our kids forget that we are individuals, too, and our only mission in life is not just to please them. Mine is furious at me for moving so far away. Funny how the kids can do that, but we aren't supposed to.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:41 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
1956 here. Yeah, our kids forget that we are individuals, too, and our only mission in life is not just to please them. Mine is furious at me for moving so far away. Funny how the kids can do that, but we aren't supposed to.
You got that right! You should have heard the outcry, especially from my oldest daughter and my wife's two, when we moved 2,000 miles away. Of course, we also moved 1,300 miles closer to my two sons and their families but to the girls that doesn't seem to count. In fact it likely just adds fuel to the fire. With seven children between us you just can't please everyone. We gave up trying long ago. It's our lives and we'll live the rest of them where and how we wish. I believe that's what you're doing.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
You got that right! You should have heard the outcry, especially from my oldest daughter and my wife's two, when we moved 2,000 miles away. Of course, we also moved 1,300 miles closer to my two sons and their families but to the girls that doesn't seem to count. In fact it likely just adds fuel to the fire. With seven children between us you just can't please everyone. We gave up trying long ago. It's our lives and we'll live the rest of them where and how we wish. I believe that's what you're doing.
Yep, that's exactly what I am doing. My daughter equated my moving away with losing my mind. Surely, I'd rather stay at a job I was miserable in, and be close to her when she wanted to see me (about once a month) than move somewhere I could afford and quit that job.

She still isn't talking to me. That was November 2013 ha ha! I just gave up worrying about it.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 02-22-2015 at 04:07 PM..

Old 02-23-2015, 11:13 AM

479 posts, read 1,237,388 times
Quote:
Yep, that's exactly what I am doing. My daughter equated my moving away with losing my mind. Surely, I'd rather stay at a job I was miserable in, and be close to her when she wanted to see me (about once a month) than move somewhere I could afford and quit that job.

She still isn't talking to me. That was November 2013 ha ha! I just gave up worrying about it.
I think your daughter has some problems! You were smart to leave and look out for yourself. Financial security is very important. Growing up in a smaller town myself, people can live happy lives outside of large cities. You just need to find what is important to you.

Old 02-23-2015, 11:52 AM

56 posts, read 104,440 times
Quote:
My father moved away to England a few years ago with my step mother (to be near her family) and we only see him maybe once a year. It has been very hard for my siblings and myself, not having him here to share in our everyday lives and watch our children grow up. Because I love him so much and as long as he is happy, I support his decision and never complain about it to him. However, it still hurts not having him around. I'm sure your child just loves and misses you dearly and hopefully they will warm up to the idea soon

As I get older and my parents age, I want to spend as much time with my parents as I can, because I know they won't be around forever and time is so very precious.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:04 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,369,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgk2013 View Post

As I get older and my parents age, I want to spend as much time with my parents as I can, because I know they won't be around forever and time is so very precious.
Yeah. And, btw, neither will you.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:54 PM

56 posts, read 104,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yeah. And, btw, neither will you.
Too, true!

Old 02-23-2015, 01:03 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,369,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgk2013 View Post
Too, true!
Not sure there's anything more sad and less fortunate than a parent outliving their children
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California