Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2020, 07:40 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times

Advertisements

Just starting to follow on this. Sounds like it's been quite an adventure. Are you still there at the Visitor ARea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 04:39 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,465 times
Just wanted to say hi & happy New Year. Are you still at the LTVA? I hope you're happy and HEALTHY.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:54 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
MEO - Are you ignoring us/?????? This is a crazy time - you must check in now & then so we know you're OK. If you don't we'll bug you constantly.

Old 01-21-2021, 10:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Maybe...
1) having too much fun
2) weather not conducive to living off grid (rainy or lack of sun to keep power module topped of)
3) connectivity issues (happens a lot in rural and remote USA)
4) broken 'device'... (any of many)
5) new interests (not using free time to chat on-line)
6) PT job... working at an Amazon Fullfillment Center (long hours)
7) nothing new to report
8) other...

Old 01-23-2021, 05:51 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Maybe...
1) having too much fun
2) weather not conducive to living off grid (rainy or lack of sun to keep power module topped of)
3) connectivity issues (happens a lot in rural and remote USA)
4) broken 'device'... (any of many)
5) new interests (not using free time to chat on-line)
6) PT job... working at an Amazon Fullfillment Center (long hours)
7) nothing new to report
8) other...
StealthRabbit,

You're another poster whose travel life is as intriguing as Meo's, IMO.

If I'm not mistaken, you have a place in more than one state also travel extensively but doing some type of work-exchange where you/your family visit another family in another state, country, or other side of the world. You guys help out them on their farm, ranch, land in exchange for being able to stay for a length of time.

It's very exciting to hear about although you might have ended it due to Covid-19 or you've grown older and no longer prefer those experiences. What are you up to these days?

Old 01-23-2021, 11:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
StealthRabbit,

You're another poster whose travel life is as intriguing as Meo's, IMO.

If I'm not mistaken, you have a place in more than one state also travel extensively but doing some type of work-exchange where you/your family visit another family in another state, country, or other side of the world. You guys help out them on their farm, ranch, land in exchange for being able to stay for a length of time.

... What are you up to these days?
Similar lifestyle, but currently reduced fly a few times / month rather than few times / week. Flying is the SAFE part (controlled contacts)... (certainly not doing international at the moment, tho the group we volunteer with would like help in Romania, Croatia, or Greece (We're looking forward to that!) Later they will need help in Spain (Where we used to live on a work assignment in 1992).

Been selling a few places in USA because rural properties are in huge demand and $$$, and I planned to be downsized anyway by the time I can get FRA SS (couple yrs yet). Still keeping the main places with multiple residences that we can stay for free. (I'm in one tonight, and for next couple weeks). We visited 12 states in Oct / Nov (Fly-drive), but pretty abbreviated stays and only a few in guesthomes. Usually staying with family and close friends only. (Testing as required). I would be fine with testing everytime I go out amoungst people if we had the $4 Antogen tests offered to USA by S Korea in March 2020... Eventually we (USA) will have to go there anyway to keep productive. (Frequent testing), (unless we wait until 2024 to get productive). Anyone working with public should test daily for viral load. Very simple, very practical, results in 10 min, self-test kits available now. (except in USA...)

Covid is a good time to get projects done around USA homes, tho I would feel more 'Covid safe' about anywhere else besides USA.

I am nearly in daily contact with friends around the world and most of Asia is 'life-as-normal', theatre, food, concerts... Must be Masked but events are open, with precautions. No significant reductions in economy or activities. Even our retired USA friends living in China (teaching at Universities) are very glad to have been there through Covid, than at 'home' in USA.

Plan A (subject to change).
  • Use most of 2021 to get projects done at each home (been traveling for over 10 yrs, so lots of stuff needs updated and maintained.)
  • Take many trips in our 'Woman's Motorhome' (VW Rialta) - (90% NOT in campgrounds, adding more solar) Floor Plans & Specifications Ours... 2001, ($21,000>10 yrs ago) 46,000 miles ~ 18-20mpg
    http://www.rialtainfo.com/model_info...2001Rialta.pdf
  • Desert in spring for wildflowers & CA poppies (Death Valley, Joshua tree, Anza-Borrego)
  • Texas for bluebonnets and Big Bend NP, then Carlsbad.
  • Summer: N WA / ID, MT, WY
  • Fall: CO and NM for aspen colors and Balloon Fiesta (Oct), then to Arkansas for Ozark colors
  • In my free time I will be riding the BDR (Backroad Discovery Routes) in NM, AZ, CA, NV, UT, OR, WA. https://ridebdr.com/
  • Using MH and meeting friends (who have to work) at airports and taking them riding in these BDRs, then shipping them back to work at another airport. (I drag along extra motorcycles for them to use).

When we (USA) can go international, I plan to go. (likely not until 2024) Spouse refuses to vaccinate, so I may be going solo if Vac-passport is required.

If USA can't get it together during the next yr... (likely not)... I would build a couple Zero Energy retirement homes ~1,000SF that I have been desiging in my free time. I have picked up a few solar building lots (under $25k), so will build homes if there is nothing better to do next winter.

Ultimate plan is to find or build a rural senior cottage community.
Hope I find one, as I am getting too old to start from scratch (again).
We have a few options planned for each (building and buying).
Ironically, my hometown in Colorado is quite active in doing this, and a HS friend is building a community at the moment. Not this one, but another nearby... (for a higher level of care than I am planning... but we may need this level at some point). https://mirasolgreenhousehomes.org/

The Eden Alternative®, is based on three fundamental core values: Meaningful Life, Empowered Staff and Real Home, offering long-term care that looks and feels like a real home

Plan C... I have my application for WY Pioneer Home filled out and signed.
Toss me on Greyhound with a one-way ticket, off to Thermopolis (I love Hot Springs )
https://health.wyo.gov/aging/pioneerhome/

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-24-2021 at 12:00 AM..

Old 01-24-2021, 12:48 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
StealthRabbit,

The Rialta is very nice! It does appear to be a more "manageable" type of RV compared the ones the are the size of a Greyhound bus. I see the connection to the term "woman's Motorhome".

The BDR sounds very exciting. A former BF was a weekend biker but I was never keen on riding it with him nor allowing him to teach me. I'm not into motorcycles but I'd love to do a smaller group version of this type of trip on bicycles, if only my work schedule permitted.

The rural senior housing plan is a smart one. My dad lives in a senior condo community in CO and it's wonderful. It offers on-site beauty salon, laundry mat, exercise room, and a hotel-style dining seats area that, pre-Covid, could be reserved for get togethers, game nights, and complex sponsored dinners. However, the senior residents have to be very independent as there are no in-home services provided by the realtor-owner of the complexes. (two located next door to each other). The link that you posted appears to combine the independent senior living community with the traditional nursing home community to create something that works better for all involved.

Totally agree with you regarding the way Asian countries have handled this virus vs. how the USA has handled it / continues to handle it. But, to refrain from getting into politics here on the Travel board, I'll leave it at that.

Old 01-25-2021, 07:56 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Where is Meo?

Old 01-25-2021, 08:10 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Meo! Meo!! Meo!! Meo!! MEO!! MEO!!

Old 01-27-2021, 11:59 AM

2,017 posts, read 3,191,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Where is Meo?
I sure hope we hear from her soon. I miss her. She is such an inspiration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing