Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2021, 11:31 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,742 posts, read 58,090,525 times

Advertisements

Keep some notes...
What is your weekly menu?
What do you use for a frig?
Showers?
How many hours / day do you spend in your car? (while camping FT, not driving)
How many trips to town per month?

While Iike to rough it.... More than a week in a car (living) would stretch my ruggedness.

I would likely build a lean-too from pallets and a tarp.
I am not too creative cooking while camping.

I'm glad my minimal cabin has water, electricity, shower, kitchen, toilet, and bed. (And heat tonight while watching the gorgeous full moon, stars and sparse floating
clouds. There are even a few airplanes flying tonight. (Finally).

Best wishes for your stay and planning return trip to MN.
I like the free hobo hot springs in Saratoga, WY, also the historical museum in nearby Encampment. Vedauwoo is great for camping, hiking, climbing. Thermopolis for hot springs. (And my future carehome)

Lead, SD has a great community center with indoor pool, I spent a few snowy spring days there. Michelson bike trail is nice, Badlands, Wall Drug, Mitchell Corn Palace.. so much to see and do on your way back!

Be safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 02:55 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
To answer your questions. No frig or room for one. Mostly sandwiches when it's cold outside. When it was warmer I used my one burner butane stove for soups, etc. Showers are $8 in Quartzsite.

When I buy a larger vehicle, I will use a cooler or frig.

As I 've said, I gave up a lot of room for my cat. She's worth it!

I've only been doing this for four months and have a lot to learn yet. I'll probably leave after the 3rd of April, when ss checks come in. For now, unless my plans change, I'll be looking for areas that contain bathrooms of some sort. That's worked out well for me here.

I expect this first year to be a time of discovery, finding out what I can do. And this has not been a realistic year for any of us so I'm certain it will be different as time goes on. I hope so anyway.

As for how much time I spend outside, it depends on the weather. If It's warm, I go outside, if it's cold and rainy, I don't. I go into town as needed. Usually once a week or so. When I have a larger vehicle it will be less.

Last edited by meo92953; 01-30-2021 at 03:20 PM..

Old 01-30-2021, 07:50 PM

Thx much MEO. You are doing a great job in your quest / doing things different, and as able. I am just comparing notes for future readers / adventurers.

We spent a week in a Nissan Rogue this year *Fly / drive / camp for UT and N AZ N parks & monuments. It was minimally acceptable, but to have the flexibility to stay where-ever you are is great, especially when distances are far and sites are beautiful for sunrise and sunset.

I spent 4 months in Rialta and that was fine solo, but couple was too tight and you need a break at least once / week.

We spent 6mo as a family in a VW poptop-camper Van nice, but tight at dinner time! (when raining / snowing).

Features I have found to be very nice.

1. Awning... from a snap on tarp, to an extending 'roll-up' side mount
  2. Swivel seats from driving to dining and socializing / laying flat for bed.
  3. Outdoor shower (Love this) it warms with engine running or solar or propane and has a pressurized shower head on a hose outside of vehicle. Nice for cooling off after a hike, or sweaty day.
  4. Fold-out stove / food prep and sink. (Fold out back or side of vehicle, under an awning.)
  5. Magnetic strips for a free standing tent for hatch (Keeps bugs out)
  6. Hammock
  7. Chuckbox (when car camping)
  8. High efficiency frig (12v / 120v) <1amp is on my wish list

Once someone is eligible for Silver Sneakers (medicare age) nationwide health clubs may get you free showers. (a few HealthClubs are nationwide)

Once Covid is minimal, libraries make good places for rainy days. I really appreciate college libraries that allow the public. (some do, some don't)

Rigs...
I sold a 1986 Pleasureway Ford Van (Camper) for $3500 (it was owned by a friend who had to go to nursing home), it was quite well equipped and only had 85,000 miles.

My mom's Roadtrek was her favorite (190 WB 2005 IIRC) ~18 mpg Dodge chassis, Bought for $11,000 sold after 10 yrs of $14,000 (and that was a good very deal for buyer)

Her Rialta (When spouse became a double amputee (Needed more space, lower RV)) $16,000 for a 1996 with 40k miles.

1999 Rialta I sold in Canada for a friend in WA ($19000)

I plan to design and market a minivan conversion for camping similar to the ones very popular in NZ. (Drawer type pull-out kitchens and storage) + a deck for bed. I would like to stick with a certain popular model and add a pop-top option, time wil tell, but I found a place that sells these vans used for ~$8000 with ~50k miles on them (That is a really good deal applying my $0.10 per future mile cost basis) They will likely go to 200,000 miles, so closer to $0.050 / future mile

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 01-30-2021 at 07:59 PM..

Old 01-30-2021, 09:29 PM

I love Rialto's. I am surprised at how comfortable I am in the Cube though. More room would be nice and I do become somewhat envious of those with larger vehicles, but my time will come. I want to have enough to buy a good, well maintained vehicle when I finally buy one.

I do have an investment account which I could use, but don't plan on using it. Thus the saving I'm doing now. It will happen when it happens.

Some things I've never talked about here; I lost my job during the recession, when I was 55. At the time I never envisioned I would have trouble finding a new one. Little did I know back then!

Although I did temporary work, it was at 1/2 the pay I'd been getting. Eventually my house went into foreclosure.

A month before I had to leave my house, a woman ran through a red light and crashed my car into a metal barrier. By all rights I shouldn't have lived through that. I ended up having surgery, after many painful months and it took over 6 months after that for me to re-learn how to walk. It was a year before I could walk more than a block.I'm so thankful my family was there for me.

Yes, I did receive compensation but the Dr's, hospital and my lawyer took a huge chunk. What was left I invested.

Living in the Cube is a walk in the park after all that. I still don't walk well and use a cane but I beat the odds. Living my dream means everything to me now. I'm thankful each day that I can do it and I plan on traveling for as long as I can. Nature has a healing influence.

Covid has affected some plans, of course, but I look forward to many more adventures when it's over.

Old 01-31-2021, 11:19 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,023,646 times
Meo - You've been through a lot and yet you seem to remain positive and persevere. Hope you get that bigger van/rv soon. I've seen some really cute ones on Youtube - seems to be popular lifestyle.

Old 01-31-2021, 12:25 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
To answer your questions. No frig or room for one. Mostly sandwiches when it's cold outside. When it was warmer I used my one burner butane stove for soups, etc. Showers are $8 in Quartzsite.

When I buy a larger vehicle, I will use a cooler or frig.

As I 've said, I gave up a lot of room for my cat. She's worth it!

I've only been doing this for four months and have a lot to learn yet. I'll probably leave after the 3rd of April, when ss checks come in. For now, unless my plans change, I'll be looking for areas that contain bathrooms of some sort. That's worked out well for me here.

I expect this first year to be a time of discovery, finding out what I can do. And this has not been a realistic year for any of us so I'm certain it will be different as time goes on. I hope so anyway.

As for how much time I spend outside, it depends on the weather. If It's warm, I go outside, if it's cold and rainy, I don't. I go into town as needed. Usually once a week or so. When I have a larger vehicle it will be less.
Curious what your next vehicle will be. Small RV, van etc?

Old 01-31-2021, 12:49 PM

I'm going to start with a minivan. It'll feel spacious after the Cube. Then, eventually a van.

I've seen some nice builds on Utube. Dodge Caravans seem to be well built and get decent mileage. That's my first choice.

Vans have gotten pretty expensive for a good one and this Cube has spoiled me by having no issues. I can't really picture myself in anything large.

Old 01-31-2021, 01:17 PM

The last Dodge minivan to be built rolled off the line in April 2020.

Now to get a used one with less than 40k miles, then leave $3500 in the fund for a transmission replacement at about 157,000 miles. Then it will likely survive to 300,000 miles.

Nissan contactor models are likely robust, but stiff riding and less economy. And hard to find used with low miles.

Old 01-31-2021, 01:56 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,926 times
Quote:
I'm going to start with a minivan. It'll feel spacious after the Cube. Then, eventually a van.

I've seen some nice builds on Utube. Dodge Caravans seem to be well built and get decent mileage. That's my first choice.

Vans have gotten pretty expensive for a good one and this Cube has spoiled me by having no issues. I can't really picture myself in anything large.
You might want to look into 4 cylinder Ford Transit vans.

Old 01-31-2021, 04:01 PM

2,912 posts, read 1,361,186 times
Quote:
Some things I've never talked about here; I lost my job during the recession, when I was 55. At the time I never envisioned I would have trouble finding a new one. Little did I know back then!

Although I did temporary work, it was at 1/2 the pay I'd been getting. Eventually my house went into foreclosure.

A month before I had to leave my house, a woman ran through a red light and crashed my car into a metal barrier. By all rights I shouldn't have lived through that. I ended up having surgery, after many painful months and it took over 6 months after that for me to re-learn how to walk. It was a year before I could walk
Wow, Meo, that's some tough stuff, but you handled it well. I'm glad to hear that things are looking up. You and your kitty stay safe and have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing