Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2021, 01:45 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I look forward to visiting Texas. I didn't see enough of it when I went through in my haste to get to Quartzsite. Also because of the restrictions we were all under. New Mexico I haven't concentrated on so much. I'm not sure what's open there. I do know their state parks are supposed to be beautiful. I'll have to check on what's open.

Any suggestions?
In NM, I prefer fall for northern mtns (no snow, aspen colors + Balloon Fiesta, Narrow gauge steam railway, Taos, Moro Valley)
Springtime, I like western and southern NM (Gila NF, Mogollon ghost town, Silver City...) and old Mesilla / Las Cruces / Organ Mtns

In Texas...
Bluebonnets and my other favorites (Ft Davis, Big Bend NP, San Antonio missions and history) are not in North Texas (I-40), tho some others on C-D can help you out up there. Such as - Mark Senior, KathrynAragon, MagnoliaThunder
https://www.city-data.com/forum/tyler/

If you end up on I-10, look me up, all these sites are within 30 min of my rural home. (plenty of open space for camping)
  1. Frio River
  2. Lost Maples State Park
  3. Enchanted Rock State Park
  4. Guadalupe River
  5. Camp Verde
  6. Fredericksburg
  7. Bandera
  8. Comfort, TX
  9. San Antonio is an hour away
  10. Austin 1.5 hrs
https://www.lonestartravelguide.com/...ad-trip-ideas/
https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/texa...ompilation-tx/
https://rvshare.com/blog/texas-road-trip/

As previously mentioned you might consider using southern Natchez trace (MS) to lead you into TN.
https://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm

Don't miss the TN cemeteries! (in Louisville, KY too)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 04-01-2021 at 01:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2021, 01:21 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
I decided to not leave Quartzsite until this morning, to wait for my ss check just in case I needed it. Yes, I have more than that in savings but I don't want to use it.

Made it to the same campground I was previously at by Lake Havasu.

Haven't decided if I'll stay at the Kingman site tomorrow or not. I will decide that tomorrow.

Old 04-02-2021, 01:46 PM

The beauty of living this lifestyle is that you don't have to make decisions except for the 14 day rule regarding blm land. I may stop in Qatman tomorrow. It depends on the heat and if it would be detrimental to Marigold.

It's hot where I am now but there's a breeze and I do have a fan so it's not bad. There's good internet so I'm just going to relax, drink some lemonade and enjoy life.

Stealthrabbit, I didn't like I10 driving here and I haven't seen anything on I40 so am taking that route. Phoenix traffic had me driving white knuckled.

Also, my brother lives in Nashville. I'm sure I will drive that white knuckled too, but it can't be helped. He was hurt that I didn't stop on my way to Arizona. Won't do it twice. He's the oldest and I'm the youngest so we have a special relationship.

I did stay at one campground on the Natchez Trail on my way to Arizona. Beautiful area. I will try to see more.

Old 04-02-2021, 04:16 PM

602 posts, read 314,140 times
I spend less than an hour a day online...this place which I recently signed up to is the only so call social media I do....I spent some time reading this site and once I realized how many different forums they had and noticed that they appear to run a tight ship here I decided recently join.

I love to read.. any and all things interesting...but I like to read with a book in my hand.. but with that said I came across this thread of yours and after reading the first page, I went on to the second and than to the third and I found is so very interesting that I read each and every post right up to your most recent post today..

Your thread to me was like reading a interesting personal travel adventure book due to the way you write about it so clearly and also a very helpful how you talk about how you do with having for now limited space in your vehicle and also so informative how you talk about the different things that have been helpful to you in your travels.....the Jackery and the solar panel to charge it, the toilet you use, the solar lamp etc...and how those things could also be very helpful in a residence in the event of a loss of power ..

So I want to thank you meo92953 for sharing your personal journey and most of all, I wish you many more miles of interesting travel and experiences and may the angels that watch over you from above remain with you no matter where your travels may take you..

Thank you so much !!!

Old 04-02-2021, 06:14 PM

What a refreshing post. Thank you for your kind words.

I actually used to write. Mostly poetry which was sometimes published in neighborhood papers and a children's book which I never did get published. Most of the jobs I've had have been editing, contracts, etc.

I quit writing when my son died. I just didn't have the heart anymore. People have commented that I should journal my adventure. I haven't because of this.

You've given me back the faith that maybe it's still there.

Old 04-03-2021, 11:12 AM

I decided to go on to Flagstaff. Stopped in Siegelman for a break. I forgot that it was famous for the movie Cars. Never did see the movie.

It's already 84 here. It's 64 in Flagstaff.

Old 04-03-2021, 05:03 PM

I got to Flagstaff and couldn't find the free campsites. I asked a person with an rv if they knew and he didn't but said they camped outside of Williams so after searching some more, I headed back to Willims. I'm not sure if I am legally parked but I had enough.

Hopefully no one will object. It looks like others parked here. Guess I'll find out. It is blm land, there was finally a sign.

Old 04-03-2021, 05:50 PM

Wish I'd watched Campervan Kevin 's video on Flagstaff blm camping. He took 89a from Sedona to road 535. The video is 2 years old and I'd forgotten about it. Oh well, I'm here now.

I got really turned around in Flagstaff. It's a neat town though.

Don't know where I'll go tomorrow. I do want to see Winslow. Haven't checked how far it is.

Just checked. 91 miles. Very doable.

Old 04-03-2021, 08:08 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,023,646 times
Movin~~movin ~~movin

Did you see Nomadic's April 1 spoof where he pretended to sell his RV and move into his smart car? He had me going for a bit.

Drive careful - you should document your travels ~ great read.

Stay safe.

Old 04-04-2021, 06:54 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,424,762 times
I am really enjoying reading this. I have read a few pages and am just amazed at how many people are doing this.
Our daughter has been living this life the past few months or so, and at first found it difficult but now is enjoying it. I know she went to Quartzsite for a bit but it didn't hold her. She is still in that general area though. It does sound safer and more normal than I would have thought.
Really enjoying this and thank you everyone ( and especially Meo) for keeping this going!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing