Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2021, 08:14 PM

7,037 posts, read 6,288,650 times

Advertisements

I didn't realize other states allow it or how many of them do. A few years back I went through South Dakota and all I could find before it got dark was a rest stop. There were quite a few signs that said, No overnight parking, but I didn't have a choice as I can't drive in the dark. I was scared the entire night but nothing happened.

That's why I choose to stay at Loves truck stops or Travel Plazas. I always ask and very seldom do they say no. In fact, I've only had 2 nos since I started traveling.

The rest stop I'm at tonight even assured me that I would be safe here as there is someone here 24/7. I thought that was very nice.

I don't worry about my safety much though. At 67, with white hair and wrinkles, I look like everyone's gramma. I realize things can happen but have found people to be kind and protective rather than threatening.

I hope you can do this someday. It's been a real eye opener. I am so glad I heard about it and have taken the chance. There are so many places I always wanted to see but I thought I couldn't afford to see them.

This current trip has probably been the most I've spent money on and, outside of getting the car fixed, I've spent very little. A few dollars for coffee and some meals, which haven't cost much. some tee shirts and a cap.

My main expense has been gas and my car gets 30+ mpg so even that hasn't been exceptional. I do try to buy something from the places I stay but really, outside of a souvenir key ring from Oklahoma, it's been tee shirts, which I needed anyway. The key ring will actually be handy for my spare key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2021, 01:28 PM

Well, I messed up. I was fine driving to Nashville but - I realized I didn't have my brother's address. Smart one on my part. But I figured, no problem, I'll just call and get it. Easy, right?

Except my brother was trying to give me directions and he said to call when I got to Murfreesboro Road. Of course I missed the turnoff to 24 from I-40 for that so I figured I'd turn around and go back.

Well, this is not as easy to do as it sounds. This town is crazy.

In trying to backtrack, I got completely turned around. I ran into a group of police and asked for help. I was way off track and they directed me to the right way.

The good thing in all this was that I went by a dollar store and stopped to buy Marigold her cat food. Then I proceeded to 24.

I'd previously called my brother and told him I was just going to find I-40 again and get out of this crazy town. He sarcastically said, Fine, I'll see you in Minnesota. He usually comes home for a few weeks in the summer.

While looking for I-40, I saw Murfreesboro and, lo and behold, a Pilot Truck Stop. I pulled in and tried to call my brother. He didn't answer, so I asked the manager if I could stay the night, explaining my situation. He was so nice and said I could.

My brother finally returned my calls. He'd been grocery shopping. Turns out I'm about 5 miles from his house.

I told him I was going to stay here and would get there in the morning. It's dark and dreary now. Sprinkling rain and these people drive insane. I'm exhausted from fighting the traffic and do not want to brave it again. I certainly wouldn't be very good company.

So I'll see him in the morning when I'm fresh. And yes, I got his address.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:08 PM

I have to admire the truck drivers. The way each of them make the sharp turn into the parking area. To me, it looks like they shouldn't be able to make it, but each one has. I have great respect for their abilities.

I've calmed down and looking forward to seeing my brother and sister in law tomorrow. I don't know if I'll spend the night but probably not. Their house is small and I would still sleep in my car so I don't know.

Tennessee is beautiful but people were right. My allergies are going crazy. I'm still looking forward to seeing it but recognize I will be going through a lot of Kleenex. Oh well, I do in Minnesota too and did in Arizona. I'm not much of a pill person so usually just deal with it.

Tomorrow I will drop off things I've found that I haven't used at my brother's. That will free up some room for me and give him things he can use too.

Old 04-15-2021, 12:35 PM

I made it to my brothers with the help of my Garmin. I don't think I would have found it without that help.

I shudder when I think I almost gave it away because I never used it. Thankfully, in the end I decided to keep it.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:12 AM

Waiting for Dollar General to open. My brother left at 7:30 to take my sister in law to work so I left then too.

She tried retiring and didn't like it so at 83 she still works. It's supposed to be part time but for the last few months it's been full time. She's a seamstress and takes great pride in her work.

I'm going to Cookeville today. It's not far, only 100 miles or so and I'm not sure what's there, but it's one of the first places I became interested in when I first started looking into leaving Minnesota and I just want to see it.

I'm still not sure of the route I'm taking to go north. It's going to be a day to day decision. I may first go to the Carolina's because I've always wanted to see them. I'll decide tomorrow, after Cookville.

Last edited by meo92953; 04-16-2021 at 07:23 AM..

Old 04-16-2021, 07:39 AM

For any and all who live in or llove Nashville, I apologize for my remarks about this city. I've met some wonderful people here. It's such a beautiful state. And when I think about how a newcomer would feel coming to Minneapolis or St Paul, they would be just as overwhelmed. I lived in those cities from age 16-62, when I moved to the farm and after the slow life at the farm, they now overwhelm me.

It didn't help that I got off the interstate at the Church Street exit. Construction everywhere and it was confusing. My brother was shocked when I told him where I was.

But all's well that ends well. I'm very glad I had a chance to visit with my brother and sister in law and didn't pass up this opportunity.

Old 04-16-2021, 03:23 PM

Okay. How come no one is posting? Maybe I'm boring all of you. Hmmm.

I'm at another Love's. Today my rear view mirror fell off. Although I'm not blaming Marigold, she does rub against it a lot, but it was loose and I let it go. Tomorrow I'm going to O'Reilly's and they are going to see if they can help. I seriously hope they can.

The Cube's mirror is unlike any I've seen. It's not mounted on the windshield as most cars I've owned. There is a universal mirror and I'm hoping that will work. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Old 04-16-2021, 08:52 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,016,545 times
Just enjoy reading your stories. Keep them coming. You do get around - hope you get to the Carolinas. Take care and stay safe.

Old 04-17-2021, 05:14 AM

417 posts, read 454,860 times
Oh please do continue posting. I only just started reading your posts recently so I don't know the very beginning but I am enjoying it.
I am impressed that you rarely use the GPS? I am not a brave driver and city traffic freaks me out- but I keep remembering how it used to be with printed out directions (or before that AAA triptik). The GPS is really a game changer for me
Curious to see what you think of Cookville.
I really liked Tennessee. Just gorgeous.
safet travels!

Old 04-17-2021, 05:37 AM

357 posts, read 224,881 times
Keep writing! I’m enjoying reading your posts and glad to hear from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing