Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2021, 12:06 PM

7,045 posts, read 6,298,150 times

Advertisements

Close to Lexington, KY. Too long a drive today and my neck muscles ache from fighting the wind. But, found a Loves and again, they allow overnight parking. Love these Loves!

Before I left Tennessee I stopped at a Dollar store, which is the only place I've found the sparkling water I like (Ice) and found a neat camping lantern that takes batteries. $5. That's important in case there's not enough sun, like today, to charge by solar. It's a neat little lantern.

Driving from Tennessee into Kentucky is breathtakingly beautiful. Lots of curves and hills, the scenery is just so awesome. I am in love with these two states. Lots of road construction but it's appreciated when you go over areas that need it and realize just how much better they are making them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 01:51 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Meo, what are your plans for Kentucky? My father's family is from Van Lear, which is in a relatively poor part of eastern Kentucky (well, much of that section of Kentucky is poor). He is buried in the family cemetery next to what used to be his childhood home. It is beautiful country.

I think Lexington is around the middle of the state? Or maybe that's Louisville.

Anyway, continued safe travels to you and your beloved Marigold!

Old 04-21-2021, 03:49 PM

I'm not sure yet where I'll go. It's a toss up between Louisville or Cincinnati,Oh. I plan to slow down a little and only travel 100-150 miles each day. Minnesota is still cold, although Lexington is cold today too. I think it's going to be chilly no matter where I go now, because I'm heading north. Still 900+ miles from home.

I would like to explore more but haven't because I don't like leaving Marigold alone. Maybe when I get a larger vehicle I'll feel better about it.

I didn't do the Carolina's because I'll save that for next year and visit Florida then too. I'm starting to become more conscious of the money I spend. Yes, I still have plenty but I got so used to saving while in Arizona and now I'm spending, rather than saving.

Gas is more expensive here, at least where I'm at. I don't see that improving. I'm such a cheapskate sometimes.

I'll save when I get home again. Between produce from the gardens at the farm and meat and eggs from the chickens and fish from the lake, it's pretty cheap to live there.

Old 04-21-2021, 08:41 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
2 yrs ago we did Louisville, Lexington and Cincinnati... Next time Cincinnati will be dropped and more time in the former places.

Rural Lexington is very pretty in the spring with lots of new foals on horse farms. (All free, unless you buy a tour).
Louisville was city, architecture, downtown, Parks, food, and cemetery. (We were in Louisville on Derby weekend. Interesting time to people watch.)

Old 04-22-2021, 09:20 AM

Didn't travel that far today. I'm a ways from Louisville but tired because I didn't sleep that well last night. It happens sometimes. My stomach is not in the best shape either today. It's my own fault.

The last Loves had an Arby's attached rather than the usual Subway and McDonald's. I hadn't had an Arby's roast beef in years and it looked so good that I had one. Delicious, but I normally eat chicken and my stomach rebelled today. There was nothing wrong with the sandwich, I just can't tolerate beef well. Gone are the days of Prime Rib, which I used to have when I took my mom out for her birthday dinner.

I just love the people in the South. Every place I've stopped, people are so nice. Minnesotans just aren't warm, fuzzy people and I do include myself. They're more reserved. Experiencing the South has been a real eye-opening experience for me.

Old 04-22-2021, 05:53 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Didn't travel that far today. I'm a ways from Louisville but tired because I didn't sleep that well last night. It happens sometimes. My stomach is not in the best shape either today. It's my own fault.

The last Loves had an Arby's attached rather than the usual Subway and McDonald's. I hadn't had an Arby's roast beef in years and it looked so good that I had one. Delicious, but I normally eat chicken and my stomach rebelled today. There was nothing wrong with the sandwich, I just can't tolerate beef well. Gone are the days of Prime Rib, which I used to have when I took my mom out for her birthday dinner.

I just love the people in the South. Every place I've stopped, people are so nice. Minnesotans just aren't warm, fuzzy people and I do include myself. They're more reserved. Experiencing the South has been a real eye-opening experience for me.
It’s always fun to see people who are surprised about “the Southâ€. I’m happy you’re having a good experience!

Old 04-22-2021, 07:50 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,648,319 times
Quote:
I have to admire the truck drivers. The way each of them make the sharp turn into the parking area. To me, it looks like they shouldn't be able to make it, but each one has. I have great respect for their abilities.

I've calmed down and looking forward to seeing my brother and sister in law tomorrow. I don't know if I'll spend the night but probably not. Their house is small and I would still sleep in my car so I don't know.

Tennessee is beautiful but people were right. My allergies are going crazy. I'm still looking forward to seeing it but recognize I will be going through a lot of Kleenex. Oh well, I do in Minnesota too and did in Arizona. I'm not much of a pill person so usually just deal with it.

Tomorrow I will drop off things I've found that I haven't used at my brother's. That will free up some room for me and give him things he can use too.
My son has been a trucker for 20+ years and I am always amazed when I see him back his tractor-trailer.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:21 AM

On to Indianapolis today, or close to it. I don't know why it took me so long to download the Love's ap but it sure comes in handy.

Slept so well last night. My stomach finally settled down and I'm in good shape today. Still miles and miles from home and enjoying all the beauty I see around me.

When I first started out and went through Wisconsin, the mountainous hills with all the falling rock signs scared me as I pictured rocks falling on my car. After going through so many states with those same signs, they no longer phase me. I've not become blase', and keep aware that it's a possibility, but am no longer frightened. Going through some of these areas makes me realize what a tremendous job our forefathers had before them. I wonder how they thought to carve into the mountains and create the roads.

It's really given me an appreciation for all who came before us and the inspiration they had.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:38 AM

602 posts, read 313,889 times
Quote:
Out of the states you've been to which one in your opinion has the nicest people and which one was the most scenic ?

Old 04-23-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B Kind View Post
Out of the states you've been to which one in your opinion has the nicest people and which one was the most scenic ?
What a toss-up. I liked quite a few. The most scenic? Tennessee and Kentucky. Friendly - Kentucky, with Tennessee following. The staff at the New Mexico Travel Plaza were exceptional, but so was everyone in Tennessee and Kentucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing