Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2021, 07:55 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,800,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I was wrong about the mileage. From Sioux Falls to Wahpeton, ND is 208 miles and then it's 30+ to Underwood. Rats. Looking at the South Dakota map, I may have to get creative. I'll have to check out some of the places you mentioned Stealth. Watertown appears to be the 1/2 point and may be large enough to have something. I know the rest stops in SD state no overnight parking.

Makes me wonder if I should have gone the Minneapolis route, but there's so much unrest there now, I wouldn't have felt safe.
There is a Coffee Cup at the Summit Exit. Where I 29 and US 12 meet up. There should be some safe and quiet places to park in Watertown. I was through Watertown a couple of weeks ago. I ran from Watertown to Redfield and down and around to Pierre. Brookings has a Lowes and a Walmart close to I 29. There isn’t a between Sioux Falls and Brookings. And little between Brookings and Watertown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Problem solved. A Walmart manager at the Watertown store has ok'd my staying there overnight.

Katie, every nomad I know always has a store of food. The only reason I buy things at the Love's stations is because it's a thank you to them plus a treat for me.
That is a good stopping point. It is an easy off and easy on to I 29.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:17 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
That is a good stopping point. It is an easy off and easy on to I 29.
That's good to know.

Just two more days. I wonder how I'll adjust to all the peace and quiet? Of course, the loons always make some noise, as do the crickets and the frogs.

I enjoy the farm in the summer. Looking forward to being there.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
"FAIRLY WELL"??? Meo, are you KIDDING?

I think that those of us who have loved following your adventures throughout 300+ posts in this thread think that you are AMAZING. (And I, of course, have to give a shout out to Marigold too, or my kitties would be mad. )

I am retiring this summer about 6-8 years ahead of schedule, and I read your posts and think to myself, "I could do that" ... but alas, I have many kitties and could not choose just 1 or 2 to go with me. But maybe when I am a bit older ...
There are many retired older women on the road. You've got plenty of time.

I love my kitten but having her with me has curtailed many activities. Making sure she was comfortable, especially in the heat; going to stores early so the windows were cracked, not being a tourist because I couldn't/wouldn't leave her in a hot car, etc. Still and all, she's been a pleasure and I am so glad she's been with me. There are people who have 2-3 cats with them but they have regular rv's, with heat and air conditioning. She's going to love being back at the farm.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:34 PM

I feel most at home when I can sleep with the windows open, the smell of the pine and crisp mountain air. That is my happy place. The loons and crickets are soothing. You have had an impressive adventure. It is something I want to do down the road. Load up the pickup and the dog and head out see the world. Or at least the west.

Old 04-30-2021, 09:16 PM

I wish I'd known about this when I was 55 and the recession destroyed so many of our lives. Maybe I wouldn't have thrown my money away by trying to save my house. All my savings, my retirement, I lost everything. All that money could have lasted until I reached retirement age.

But, I guess everything happens for a reason. The one thing it really taught me, at that time, was how to get back to basics, regain frugality and live simply. I sincerely love living simply now. This lifestyle suits me to a tee and actually, I'm looking forward to going back out west. I may even just do BLM land next time. I could, with a shower tent. In a ssense, because I was only paying $180 for the 7 months, I felt I had to stay at the LTVA.

I didn't explore as much as I wanted to this time out, although a lot of that was due to covid. I plan on getting my shots as soon as I get home, or as soon as I can once I get there.

I sure hope I don't get spoiled by all the conveniences while I'm there. There are a lot of things that you have to do while on the road that you take for granted. Laundry, showers, cooking outside. Watching Bob Wells videos is how I learned the basics.

I was telling my brother though, the stupidest thing I left behind was the car vac I bought before I left. What was I thinking? Of course, I didn't realize just how pervasive the dust and sand are. It's now going to be the first thing I put in my car now. Idiot!

Old 04-30-2021, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I feel most at home when I can sleep with the windows open, the smell of the pine and crisp mountain air. That is my happy place. The loons and crickets are soothing. You have had an impressive adventure. It is something I want to do down the road. Load up the pickup and the dog and head out see the world. Or at least the west.
It's a beautiful way to live.

Old 05-01-2021, 07:37 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,024,553 times
Quote:
I was wrong about the mileage. From Sioux Falls to Wahpeton, ND is 208 miles and then it's 30+ to Underwood. Rats. Looking at the South Dakota map, I may have to get creative. I'll have to check out some of the places you mentioned Stealth. Watertown appears to be the 1/2 point and may be large enough to have something. I know the rest stops in SD state no overnight parking.

Makes me wonder if I should have gone the Minneapolis route, but there's so much unrest there now, I wouldn't have felt safe.

Meo - You would have been perfectly safe here. I know it sounds like complete chaos but that's only in limited areas and only when they are trying to make a point.

Old 05-01-2021, 01:29 PM

It's a moot point now.

I wasn't planning on traveling this far but I made it home. It was so hot in Watertown that I decided to keep traveling. Even with a fan, Marigold would have been miserable. Got to Wahpeton.and it was hot there too. So I decided to just keep going. Stopped to pick up some wine from my favorite liquor store and am enjoying it now.

My sister doesn't know I'm here yet. She's out mowing the tons of grass. But, I just heard the mower shut off so will sign off myself.

Forgot to add that the breeze off the lake feels wonderful and the temperature is perfect here. Marigold is already exploring.

Old 05-01-2021, 02:59 PM

148 posts, read 114,450 times
Meo, I have so much admiration for you. Congratulations on completing your adventure! I wish you many more successful journeys in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing