Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2022, 07:24 AM

3,967 posts, read 2,575,485 times

Advertisements

Yeah for the sun! Boo for the fog! It seems the fog blanketed everything in it's path. New experiences are great! Builds new brain cells. Scientists used to think new brain cells.were not possible for adults.

As for weather-- when it is sunny with a light breeze, I say it is California cool. The reason: I traveled for a living, including California in spring- in February! I stepped out of the airport into that cool air. I'll remember that forever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2022, 09:44 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
When I first got here, I was excited about the Meet at Q group and then realized that I couldn't park close to them because there are too many big dogs and Marigold would have been afraid to go out. I couldn't do that to her.

I think next year I will boondock rather than stay at a LTVA. I realized that I was very comfortable staying on BLM land at Pahrump.

Yes, it's kind of a hassle putting up and taking down tents every two weeks but doable. I'll see what happens at the WRTR. I hope to meet up with women from the Caravans and see if I can connect with them.
I'm thinking of maybe volunteering at the RTR but not certain. I enjoyed doing it at the BYOV but after enjoying free time for so long, it was hard to feel tied down.

I've become a hermit and enjoy my alone time, maybe too much. I don't know if that's such a bad thing.
Meo, you could come park by us. All dogs on leashes, and only two of them could be described as large, the others are small.

Who is us? The You Ain't Right Club. I'm a hermit myself, and you can be as introverted as you like. PM me if you want.

Old 12-07-2022, 10:28 AM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
jacqueg, I sent a pm. I love your group name. That about says it all. Either you''re a free spirit and totally understand or you can't imagine not having the security of being in a sticks and bricks.

For those who don't know much about Quartzsite and the LTVA'S, livingit just did some utube videos on it. He really did a great job and at the end included shots of the sunsets and sunrises. Awesome pictures.

Old 12-07-2022, 12:52 PM

The Original Meet in Q group is having a yard sale to sponsor the Food Bank. I just got back from there and bought a back pack and a miniature air conditioner, which I hope works. It's tiny and the woman said it only took like 6 watts of power.. It was $5 so figured it was worth it to make sure Marigold is comfortable when it's hot.

I was also finally able to donate the car carrier roof racks which I bought through Amazon. Even though the Cube was listed as being compatible, it wasn't. The company must have known that because they refunded the money but didn't want them back. These things were $150.00 and I didn't know what to do with them. Because I have such wonderful karma , meaning whatever I do comes back to me ten fold, I knew I had to donate them to a good cause.

I was going to do it at the HOWA build but couldn't find the second box of parts that came with them. It wasn't until yesterday when I was reorganizing the car that I found them.

That felt fitting and, as much as I support HOWA, I felt the Food Bank really needed the support because people are not donating as much due to rising prices of their own needs.

So, all in all, a productive day.

Now I have to work on organizing the car more. This is the desert and you can't just take things out and put them on the ground. Well, you could if you want to have everything full of dust I suppose.

Yesterday I bought a tarp and will start this job. I'll do some today but most tomorrow - just because I want to. Lol.

The main thing I have to do is take all my blankets out and adjust the mattress. I have to do this periodically because after awhile it slips further toward the front and makes it hard to shift. I kept putting it off because I kept forgetting to buy the tarp. Blankets are not something you want to lay in the dust.

So, I will redo the mattress and sleep well tonight.

Old 12-07-2022, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
Yeah for the sun! Boo for the fog! It seems the fog blanketed everything in it's path. New experiences are great! Builds new brain cells. Scientists used to think new brain cells.were not possible for adults.

As for weather-- when it is sunny with a light breeze, I say it is California cool. The reason: I traveled for a living, including California in spring- in February! I stepped out of the airport into that cool air. I'll remember that forever!
I agree. It's been a long time since I was in California but I remember when I first went there when I was 16 and visited my sister who had moved to Burbank. Quite the difference from Minnesota!

At that time I got homesick and went back to MN. The next time I went was when my son graduated from high school and started college in Sacramento. He also stayed with the same sister and eventually went back to MN. I followed him back.

At 16, California scared me though. Going from a small town to a large city, I didn't know how to handle it. At 40+, I lived in San Francisco and loved it but by the time my son left, I was laid off and couldn't find another decent job. Since I never had a problem with that, I went home and quickly found a good job.

I'll never forget living there though. You've brought back many memories.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:35 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I agree. It's been a long time since I was in California but I remember when I first went there when I was 16 and visited my sister who had moved to Burbank. Quite the difference from Minnesota!

At that time I got homesick and went back to MN. The next time I went was when my son graduated from high school and started college in Sacramento. He also stayed with the same sister and eventually went back to MN. I followed him back.

At 16, California scared me though. Going from a small town to a large city, I didn't know how to handle it. At 40+, I lived in San Francisco and loved it but by the time my son left, I was laid off and couldn't find another decent job. Since I never had a problem with that, I went home and quickly found a good job.

I'll never forget living there though. You've brought back many memories.
We lived in California fer 6 lustrum (30 years). We lived in Monterey, CA/ Carmel Valley/ Prunedale/ Marina/ outside of Salinas, at different times. We loved the camping, fishing, exploring we did in CA. We didn't like all the traffic, crime, high cost for goods, property, laws in CA.
We wanted to have some forest land out in the country, i wanted to have a bass pond on my land. So, we found our place in Oregon, which we love.

I was 16 when dad got stationed at Fort Ord, CA. I went my senior year to Monterey, High School.

I've been a hermit fer several lustrum...

Old 12-08-2022, 09:02 AM

Ii should have messaged you when I was going through Oregon and we could have met. It never occurred to me, sorry. Maybe next time I go through there, but that won't be until next spring. This fall, when I leave Arizona I'll be heading towards Texas and the southern states.

Old 12-09-2022, 05:38 PM

Wow, I wasn't expecting this but it's a 'David' night tonight. The loss of my son.

But it's not a sadness, more of a hope that he knows I'm doing what I should have been doing a long time ago.

These things come out of nowhere. I'll just be doing life and then, Wham, there they are.

But tonight I feel that he is saying, You go Mom.

A part of me is sad because I gave most of his pictures to my granddaughter, his daughter. But most of me is glad because she loved her dad and has pictures she'll cherish forever..

I think it will turn out to be one of those healing nights. It just took me by surprise.

Old 12-11-2022, 11:49 AM

3,967 posts, read 2,575,485 times
Blessings to you.
Blessings to David's soul.

(((Hugs to you)))

Edit to add
Giving the pictures to his daughter is a wonderful loving kindness. Giving to her is giving to David.

Old 12-12-2022, 11:36 AM

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing