Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2022, 04:54 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I came close to following the Colorado River but decided to just get here. It was too dark and gloomy yesterday.

Today the sun is shining and it is still a bit chilly but I'm sure it will warm up soon. Gads I love Arizona!

I'm letting the sun recharge my Jackery and then have to go in search of a hammer to put up the tents and a rake for the rocks.

I've decided to stay where I am as Marigold seems to like it. It's close enough to the bathroom and the Q tent yet far enough so I've still got privacy when I need it.

Of course, it's still early in the season and I'm sure it will get more crowded but there are enough bushes around that people can't park too close.

My only concern is the two holes in the ground that are too big for mice, compared to the ones I've seen here but don't look big enough for coyotes. They actually look like the gopher holes I've seen elsewhere, but I've never seen gophers here in Quartzsite.
So I have no idea what caused them. A mystery to me.
A couple years ago, rodents were chewing on a couple wires, some vacuum hoses for my windshield wiper fluid, & chewing up the insulation under the hood of my Jeep. They were making nests too. They were Rats. The biggest ones in the family were about 14". I had to trap them or they were going to destroy my Jeep. I caught 22 of them total count. I can't see where anything has been chewing on anything since.
That's the first time in over 30 years i had that kind of problem.

I don't know what made the holes by you. There are three species of fox in AZ. There are 2 species of prairie dogs in AZ.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=are+th...&wsso=Moderate
https://www.bing.com/search?q=are+th...&wsso=Moderate

You could keep an eye out to see if anything goes in or out of the hole. You could buy an inexpensive night vision infrared Monocular to see what critters are out there at night . Some folks put up wildlife camera/s to see what critters are around them at night.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=what+i...&wsso=Moderate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2022, 05:14 PM

1,827 posts, read 807,625 times
I grew up in the desert. I think you are seeing packrat nests. In winter they seek food & warmth, so look under your hood often for evidence of them.

Old 11-04-2022, 05:17 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
The best way to ward off mice chewing wires and hoses under the hood are making narrow strips of cotton, soaking them with peppermint oil and tying them to an area where they won't catch fire when the engine is running. It works. I learned about it when I lived in the mountains of New Mexico. A neighbor had to have $6K worth of new wiring done on his vehicle because of mice.

Old 11-04-2022, 06:33 PM

Some years back i had some mice get inside my motorhome.
I took a plastic 5 gallon bucket. I drilled 2 holes, 1 on 1 side & another hole on the opposite side near the top, that a length of dowling rod will slide through loosely. I slid a length of dowling rod through the holes. I leaned a piece of 1/4" plywood against the side of bucket so the mouse can get up to the dowling rod at top. Inside the bucket i put some peanut butter & some cheese at the bottom. The mouse climbed up the plywood to the dowling rod. Mouse got on the dowling rod, dowling rod spinned,, mouse fell into the bucket.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

The mice didn't chew anything on my motorhome engine. I have 3 cats. I know my cats got some of them. They usually bring them to the door to show me.

Old 11-05-2022, 03:13 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
I haven't had problems with mice. I think it's because of Marigold, who, by the way, is finally feeling comfortable in roaming outside.

The friends I was traveling with stopped by on their way to Yuma and said it looked like the holes bug by foxes for their kits but they look deserted. I'm covering them in with rocks, just in case.

I went to K&B for a hammer, carp, step stool and rock rake. K&B sure caters to snow birds and has everything you could possibly need. I ended up spending $72 but it was well worth it. Now I can get things out of the car carrier without help.

I have no idea what happened to my hammer but you need one for the stakes you need to use in the desert. They have to be strong enough for the desert winds and long enough so things don't fly away.

So far I've put up my shower tent. Taking a break before tackling the supply and Marigolds tent.

Old 11-05-2022, 03:17 PM

Hank, that was a brilliant idea. Nomadic Fanatic bought something along those lines except it has a hinged door on top where you put the bait and the mice fall into the bucket. Your idea is a lot cheaper with the same principal. I like cheaper, lol.

Old 11-06-2022, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I haven't had problems with mice. I think it's because of Marigold, who, by the way, is finally feeling comfortable in roaming outside.

The friends I was traveling with stopped by on their way to Yuma and said it looked like the holes bug by foxes for their kits but they look deserted. I'm covering them in with rocks, just in case.

toI went K&B for a hammer, carp, step stool and rock rake. K&B sure caters to snow birds and has everything you could possibly need. I ended up spending $72 but it was well worth it. Now I can get things out of the car carrier without help.

I have no idea what happened to my hammer but you need one for the stakes you need to use in the desert. They have to be strong enough for the desert winds and long enough so things don't fly away.

So far I've put up my shower tent. Taking a break before tackling the supply and Marigolds tent.
Last month, when i ordered my groceries online for curb pickup at Walmart, i also ordered a new claw hammer for $5.54, & a 5'x8' tarp for $4.83. I arrived at Walmart the day & time i chose. My Walmart shopper loaded up my jeep, with my goods that i ordered. Now, that is Wonderful Service The folks working there are Awesome.

Old 11-06-2022, 07:49 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,666,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Last month, when i ordered my groceries online for curb pickup at Walmart, i also ordered a new claw hammer for $5.54, & a 5'x8' tarp for $4.83. I arrived at Walmart the day & time i chose. My Walmart shopper loaded up my jeep, with my goods that i ordered. Now, that is Wonderful Service The folks working there are Awesome.
We have a Walmart about a mile from us and it has been a long time since I have been inside. I don't get much in the way of groceries there but I regularly make up an online order for other things. Five minutes from the time I pull out of my driveway I am back home with my stuff. Sure beats wandering around the store to find things and then going through the checkout.

Old 11-06-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
We have a Walmart about a mile from us and it has been a long time since I have been inside. I don't get much in the way of groceries there but I regularly make up an online order for other things. Five minutes from the time I pull out of my driveway I am back home with my stuff. Sure beats wandering around the store to find things and then going through the checkout.
I feel the same way you do, JRR There are many other items besides groceries that we can order online to be picked up curbside at the store. It's been extremely handy. In the summer when the temps are above 100, we can sit in the jeep with the A/C on, waiting for our shopper to bring out our goods. Fred Meyer & several other grocery/department stores have a similar setup.
We live out in the country on the side of a forested mountain. We usually come into town about once every 2 months for our groceries/goods.

Old 11-06-2022, 12:33 PM

I didn't think to order things from Walmart before I left. Then again, I thought I had a hammer. I'll probably find it once I get everything unpacked. I just now found the flyswatters I thought It left behind.

Two Q'rs stopped by to help put up my tent. Really, really nice people. Now I have to put everything in the tent. The hard part is done though.

Taz stopped by also. Really nice meeting you Taz. I'm sure we'll see each other again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing