Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2023, 05:36 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times

Advertisements

This wind is driving me insane! I just hope it quits soon.

This may delay my moving but I know the weather is terrible everywhere so am trying to be patient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 09:19 PM

1,824 posts, read 800,633 times
I think the wind is normal for Quartzsite. It's in the Mojave Desert, where I grew up. Winters were/are always windy & cold. Spring is also always windy, although the winds get warmer as summer approaches. Summers were/are always very hot with no wind. Any variations to that would be due to climate change.

Old 04-01-2023, 11:57 AM

Yes, the wind seems to always be here but this is the worst I have seen it in the three years I've been coming here.
Thankfully I got some things done yesterday because it's starting up again.I have laundry yet to do but will wait on that until tomorrow.

Just checked the forecast for Monday and it looks like it will be strong winds so may leave Tuesday. It's going to be a day to day thing. I'm not driving in the wind if it's strong.

I just hope the wind is better on Monday so I can leave. I plan on packing up Sunday and leave once the sun is high enough so I'm not driving in glare. Looking forward to seeing more of New Mexico but will stop by friends by Benson first. Also have to check my storage unit in Sierra Vista.

Last edited by meo92953; 04-01-2023 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: Update

Old 04-02-2023, 12:09 PM

I was going to do laundry today. The wind was supposed to be moderate but, as usual lately, they don't account for wind gusts so may not get it done.
The problem is that my dirty clothes are in the shower tent and when the wind gusts, the tent bends and sways so it's difficult to get the clothes out, especially with my disabilities.
Tomorrow the wind is supposed to be fierce and Tuesday it will be better but still gusty I think.
Wednesday looks like the best day and Thursday won't be bad either.
So I am planning on Tuesday or Wednesday for laundry and getting packed up and leaving the day after.
I'm pretty tired of Arizona at this point. I'm going to rethink my travel plans for next fall. I may skip Arizona except possibly for the RTR.

Old 04-02-2023, 11:35 PM

Trying to sleep but the sound of the wind keeps me awake. It's how I imagine the wind on the ocean would sound,, without the crashing of the waves.

Awesome actually. And somewhat fascinating.

Old 04-03-2023, 03:57 AM

2,105 posts, read 3,010,703 times
We had gusts up to 70 here in sw Va on Sat/Sun.
My poor trailer weebling and wobbling.
Spooky at times. My cats were not impressed.

Old 04-03-2023, 02:00 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I was going to do laundry today. The wind was supposed to be moderate but, as usual lately, they don't account for wind gusts so may not get it done.
The problem is that my dirty clothes are in the shower tent and when the wind gusts, the tent bends and sways so it's difficult to get the clothes out, especially with my disabilities.
Tomorrow the wind is supposed to be fierce and Tuesday it will be better but still gusty I think.
Wednesday looks like the best day and Thursday won't be bad either.
So I am planning on Tuesday or Wednesday for laundry and getting packed up and leaving the day after.
I'm pretty tired of Arizona at this point. I'm going to rethink my travel plans for next fall. I may skip Arizona except possibly for the RTR.
I camped out in Quartzsite 5 years ago with a brand new sturdy shower tent (pyramid type). The first time I put it up, it tore, uprooted and almost blew away. I tried to return it to Amazon, but they told me to keep it, refunded my money, and sent me a new one which I've never taken out of the box.

Sure hope the wind dies down soon. It's been a tough winter for visitors to the AZ desert.

Old 04-03-2023, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I camped out in Quartzsite 5 years ago with a brand new sturdy shower tent (pyramid type). The first time I put it up, it tore, uprooted and almost blew away. I tried to return it to Amazon, but they told me to keep it, refunded my money, and sent me a new one which I've never taken out of the box.

Sure hope the wind dies down soon. It's been a tough winter for visitors to the AZ desert.
It has been crazy everywhere. Tornadoes devastating entire communities, high winds destruction.
This wind was supposed to be until 8 or so, yret it's still bad at 10+. Tried to sleep but it's impossible.
Hopefully it will end soon.

Old 04-05-2023, 01:38 PM

Finally got laundry done but now am tired so resting the remainder of the day

The weather really set me back and not sure when I will leave
Tomorrow I will start to clean up camp, get items ready for traveling and hopefully get packed up. It looks like I'll leave Friday or Saturday, depending on when I get things done.

Old 04-07-2023, 04:15 PM

1,824 posts, read 800,633 times
I'm just curious how you have spent your days there, especially since it's so windy & you have a small car & tent. Have you befriended others and hang out with them? Do you go walking, or driving to other areas to explore? I'm familiar with the area, it's really not one of the more beautiful areas of desert, lots of wind, blowing sand, not a lot to look at, not much going on there except off-roading, possibly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing