Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2022, 12:34 PM

7,045 posts, read 6,298,150 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I passed Astoria and am in Washington. Astoria was pretty but confusing. The bridge connecting Oregon and Washington was quite a trip.

I really enjoyed Rockaway Beach. I was not bothered and slept fairly well. Marigold woke me up at 4:00 am though so didn't sleep as long as I wanted to.

Now I am trying to decide the best route to go home. Not in a hurry though. I was looking at Mt St Helens but the map says it's 8364 ft. That's quite high so not sure. I might go over to Kelso and hit I5 for awhile or Columbia River Gorge Nat'l Scenic area.

Gas is so expensive and even my little car is taking a hit, so I might start back tomorrow. It'll still take quite some time but this is becoming a costly venture.

It has helped that the top speed limit has been 55. So much more relaxing, although all the curves have been a little hairy. I'd like to avoid the freeway as much as possible and stick to slower highways. We'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2022, 03:43 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
Wow, you didn't spend much time in Oregon, Meo.

For the journey back to Minn, will you be on the interstate?
If I were making the trip, I'd take a "road less traveled," like US 2 or US 12.

Old 05-04-2022, 03:57 PM

What do those go through?

It was not so easy to find camping spots without paying a lot. I'm still new at traveling to places I don't know. I'm also not sure how long it will take to get back to Minnesota and I have to be there by the 20th.

I talked to my sister today and she said it's finally nice there.

I'd rather take the road less traveled since I'll be going inland and across. With gas prices as they are, I don't want to spend any more than I have to on camping. Call me cheap, although I prefer frugal.

Old 05-04-2022, 04:04 PM

Okay, I just looked at US 12. That would be an okay route. Google didn't bring up US 21 so I don't know where it goes. It does look like there are National Forests through Idaho and Montana on 12 so that will be good.

Old 05-04-2022, 06:05 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
I haven't been up that way, but here's some info about US 2:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_2

www.montanapictures.net/hi-line-montana-picture-tours

www.ndtourism.com/best-places/hi-line-highway-2-tour

Old 05-04-2022, 06:16 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Do you have a vest harness for Meo?

I've had cats in figure 8 harnesses before and they always get out. But the vest harnesses look more secure (I have not tried one!)

Maybe put it on her in the car at night and let her adjust that way.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Do you have a vest harness for Meo?

I've had cats in figure 8 harnesses before and they always get out. But the vest harnesses look more secure (I have not tried one!)

Maybe put it on her in the car at night and let her adjust that way.
Yes, it's a vest harness. You wouldn't believe how she howled and ran around like crazy until she somehow got it off. Probably because I bought the break-away kind so she wouldn't be trapped. I'll have to keep researching different kinds.

Today she was out for a little while but there's a large raccoon around and when I spotted it she was inside sleeping so now I don't let her out. She'd be a tasty morsel, that's for sure.

The racoons came right up to the cars. It's not afraid of people at all.

Oh well, we're only staying the night so after a shower and making sure things are charged up, we'll be heading out.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I haven't been up that way, but here's some info about US 2:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_2

www.montanapictures.net/hi-line-montana-picture-tours

www.ndtourism.com/best-places/hi-line-highway-2-tour
Thanks for this. It is helpful.

Old 05-04-2022, 08:34 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
A little story about Marigold. This campground requires leashes and, she hates them. I put hers on and she ran around like a crazy cat until she got out of it. It took her about a minute, maybe less.

She then escaped when I opened the door. Yes, she stayed close but she was still out.

I don't think I'll ever be able to make her wear a harness and that does worry me. I tried telling her she couldn't afford the $400 fine but she just doesn't care.

She's been so free since she came to live with me. I'm just not sure how to deal with this problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Yes, it's a vest harness. You wouldn't believe how she howled and ran around like crazy until she somehow got it off. Probably because I bought the break-away kind so she wouldn't be trapped. I'll have to keep researching different kinds.

Today she was out for a little while but there's a large raccoon around and when I spotted it she was inside sleeping so now I don't let her out. She'd be a tasty morsel, that's for sure.

The racoons came right up to the cars. It's not afraid of people at all.

Oh well, we're only staying the night so after a shower and making sure things are charged up, we'll be heading out.
Wow good to know they are not cat-proof! Thanks for the update

Old 05-05-2022, 07:28 AM

It's raining and supposed to keep raining all day. Oh joy, what fun to drive in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing