Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2022, 01:52 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Actually, we are 79 miles away because the farm is 9 miles from town.

I'm stopped at a rest stop on Bad Route Road. Sounds ominous doesn't it?

I'm 94 miles from the campground. I was thinking of stopping but it's early, it's cloudy and the wind is rather fierce, so I'll move on.

I was hoping to get at least a bit of the jackery charged but it's too cloudy and windy. The rockpals is charged though so that's okay. I normally use that one for heating water for coffee. I haven't made any coffee lately because I stop and buy a cup at gas stations. I knew I would need to conserve power just in case and I was right. Maybe, hopefully, there will be some sunshine when I get to the camp. If not, I'll just be conservative with the rockpals until the sun comes out.

I once went to a snack bar on the Greek island of Santorini and the actual name of the snack bar.......which was in English on the sign was.........Snack Bar Without Name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2022, 09:42 AM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Is Taz a dog on the farm?
Yes. She's a gentle giant of mixed breed. I don't know what mix she is though. She watches over the chickens for fox and raccoons, and watches over her humans. She also watches over Marigold and the farm cats at my brother's place next door.
She's a sweetheart.

Old 05-16-2022, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Yes. She's a gentle giant of mixed breed. I don't know what mix she is though. She watches over the chickens for fox and raccoons, and watches over her humans. She also watches over Marigold and the farm cats at my brother's place next door.
She's a sweetheart.

Old 05-17-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

I once went to a snack bar on the Greek island of Santorini and the actual name of the snack bar.......which was in English on the sign was.........Snack Bar Without Name.
I love it. How funny.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:11 AM

Good morning to all. I didn't get a good night's sleep because Marigold was too snuggly last night. I had to keep moving her because she was hogging the bed.

My sister has done a lot to this place. She took out part of the bed so now it just fits my trifold mattress, which is so much better. The mattress that was there was not only uncomfortable but, as a lot of RV/travel trailer s are, next to impossible to make the bed. It's much better. She took out the table in the dining area and put in storage cabinets. She's in the process of changing out the fridge because the one that was here quit working.

I would feel bad about all her work except for the fact that it will become a hunting cottage if I stop using it. And actually, it could be used as one when I'm not here.

It still needs some work but it's better. Ii don't have a fridge, water or sewer yet, but they're working on it. I'm so used to doing without them that it's become a way of life for me now and it's a lot easier because I just get water from the house and use the facilities there.

I'm still working on cleaning out the car. That's taking me a how time because I have to keep taking breaks. It'll get done though because I need to take it in for a thorough inspection and oil change. Even though the brakes aren't making noise and seem fine, I've had the car since 2015 and they've never needed work. I want to make sure they are okay, especially after that mountain driving. The tires and battery were replaced about 5 years ago and it may be time to replace them too, although at the time I bought the best ones out there.

I want to make sure everything is up to par and replace what's needed. I'd always rather be safe than sorry.

A lot of my savings I've targeted for a new vehicle but upkeep on the Cube is also in there, especially since I love the car so much.

Old 05-17-2022, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Good morning to all. I didn't get a good night's sleep because Marigold was too snuggly last night. I had to keep moving her because she was hogging the bed.

My sister has done a lot to this place. She took out part of the bed so now it just fits my trifold mattress, which is so much better. The mattress that was there was not only uncomfortable but, as a lot of RV/travel trailer s are, next to impossible to make the bed. It's much better. She took out the table in the dining area and put in storage cabinets. She's in the process of changing out the fridge because the one that was here quit working.

I would feel bad about all her work except for the fact that it will become a hunting cottage if I stop using it. And actually, it could be used as one when I'm not here.

It still needs some work but it's better. Ii don't have a fridge, water or sewer yet, but they're working on it. I'm so used to doing without them that it's become a way of life for me now and it's a lot easier because I just get water from the house and use the facilities there.

I'm still working on cleaning out the car. That's taking me a how time because I have to keep taking breaks. It'll get done though because I need to take it in for a thorough inspection and oil change. Even though the brakes aren't making noise and seem fine, I've had the car since 2015 and they've never needed work. I want to make sure they are okay, especially after that mountain driving. The tires and battery were replaced about 5 years ago and it may be time to replace them too, although at the time I bought the best ones out there.

I want to make sure everything is up to par and replace what's needed. I'd always rather be safe than sorry.

A lot of my savings I've targeted for a new vehicle but upkeep on the Cube is also in there, especially since I love the car so much.

I’ve slept in the middle of a bed with a cat on one side of me and a dog on the other for parts of nights. They kept to their original spots though as they came and went, so neither disturbed me.

Old 05-17-2022, 06:46 PM

Marigold is funny. She likes to sleep on my legs or if I switch to the side, she then lays on my hip. Occasionally she will lay next to me but it's not her preference.

Old 05-17-2022, 10:59 PM

Tonight I look at this cat, Marigold, curled up on my lap, and I think back to our first days - when she didn't trust me or know me.
How far we have come.
Towards the last part of our travel this time she felt confident enough in our relationship that she could verbally voice her unhappiness. A far cry from when we first met.

Now she is curled up on my lap and all is well with her world, as is mine.

Old 05-18-2022, 07:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Tonight I look at this cat, Marigold, curled up on my lap, and I think back to our first days - when she didn't trust me or know me.
How far we have come.
Towards the last part of our travel this time she felt confident enough in our relationship that she could verbally voice her unhappiness. A far cry from when we first met.

Do you talk to her much? (In cat language?) Ours carries on quite a conversation with me, as do the cows, and sheep (Especially when we were in Ireland... The cows were very inquisitive of my American 'cow' accent!). Our farm dog prefers to communicate in English (and food). Interesting you mentioned the 'duties' of Taz. Our farm dogs would be really bummed if they weren't doing their daily duty. Making the rounds early in the morning to check their perimeter / fence line, livestock, cats, chickens, then 'hanging around' watching for any predators or visitors. Keeping the mole population away from the yard, (Laying the daily bounty in a neat row by the back door). NEVER digs in the yard. Never in (5) farm dogs has one pooped anywhere in the yard or where people would walk. Come in the house only during blizzards, but never any further than the back door mat. They prefer being outside and 'On-Duty'

Porcupines are the only trouble they get into.

Except... one farm dog slipped over a waterfall in our back forest and we had to have search and rescue snatch it from a 3' landing about 40 ft down, which had an additional 100' drop below. Lucky dog! no injuries, but it took us a few hours to find him hidden in the forest, and several hours to do the rope rescue in the dark, over the cliff in the middle of a flowing waterfall. That episode set our oldest off on a EMT / Rescue career, where he lived 'free' during 5 yrs of college at a rural fire station. Later training forest firefighters and refinery workers in High angle rescue.

Old 05-19-2022, 10:06 AM

Quote:
How far we have come.

When I was growing up....with particular cats that completely trusted me.....if they fell asleep on my back, I could raise myself up, back staying level, then on my knees and palms, I could move along the floor like a cat, and the cat would stay asleep on my back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing