Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2022, 05:21 AM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times

Advertisements

Another thing I didn't think about was the bears. It would break my heart if something happened to Marigold because of my not pay attention to the danger involved. I didn't even think of bear spray because it's not needed where I came from or where I've been so far.

I'll have to get some just to have I suppose. I'm not even sure where to get it. Maybe a Ranger Station or would Amazon have it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2022, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't want to drive those roads in the winter either.

I once drove from Los Angeles to Eugene, OR and it started to snow just before the last pass near the CA/OR border.

A friend of mine from Scotland was was with me, and I let him drive the rest of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
Yeah, I get it. This has been a wet, cool year so far. And last year we had a scorching heat wave, & the whole world is an uncertain mess...so it's hard to plan anything.

The higher costs of everything & so much instability has made everything harder, for sure.
That's the thing. I'm not willing to spend money to be uncomfortable. That's wasteful to me.

I would love to let Marigold out of the car to explore a campground. But not in the rain and not with the bears.

Maybe once we get to North Dakota if there's sunshine, I will stay over at a campground. I know there are free campsites there. Otherwise I'll wait until we get to the farm and Taz will watch over her when she's outside.

Old 05-08-2022, 05:33 AM

Sorry about the double quote. Internet has been wired the last few days.

Old 05-08-2022, 08:05 AM

Montana is so beautiful! I wasn't expecting this, but I'm in awe at the beauty. Plus, gas was $4.09, the cheapest I've seen since I started the trip.

Old 05-08-2022, 10:54 AM

Got to a rest area by Bozeman. It started snowing, light at first, then heavily about 20+ miles away. Yet people are still driving.

It's early but I have been driving since first light. I don't want to go any further in this crap. I didn't like driving in it in Minnesota and I certainly don't want to be in it now. I was hoping for a Loves but there's none until close to Billings. No thanks to that drive.

Snow. Unbelievable.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:19 AM

The forecast says it's going to snow until 9am tomorrow. Then what,? Do they plow or?? I don't know if I should go before it gets worse or stay where I'm safe for now.
There are no sleeping signs in both the bathroom and the hallway plus the pop machine has a cage around it.

People are leaving in droves. Do I chance it? I just don't know. Yet, the signs and the caged machine make me feel like this is sketchy. Rats.

Old 05-08-2022, 02:01 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Bear spray: is there a Cabela's or Bass Pro nearby? I'm going to check for you

<edit>

There is one in Billings MT, some in SD and MI (where I think you are going). They will have a number of choices and be able to help you pick
Attached Thumbnails
An update on my current situation-screen-shot-2022-05-08-4.03.09  

Old 05-08-2022, 03:49 PM

There's one in Fergus I think. I'm going to North Dakota, not South Dakota.

Update: I decided not to stay at the sketchy rest area and followed folks back to the freeway. The storm quit or slowed down once I got to a lower level. It was hairy for awhile but once I saw the mass exodus, I knew I wouldn't feel safe there.

Honestly, I've never seen signs with a picture of a person sleeping on the floor and the fact that the pop machine had a locked cage around it, I knew it was time to go.

When I finally got to Billings, Google and I had round about searches. It finally directed me to a 'park' that looks like it's been abandoned. I couldn't believe it and drove around the neighborhood of this small town and a neighbor assured me it was the park.

It has overgrown grass, 2 swings, a slide and a picnic bench, so I guess it classified as a park.
I'm going to go ahead and stay here. I've been on the road since 6:00 am and have had enough excitement for one day.
At least I'm headed in the right direction for Bismarck now. North Dakota, here I come.

Old 05-08-2022, 07:10 PM

4,622 posts, read 3,007,630 times
Meo, it's too bad that you're passing so close to Yellowstone National Park, but aren't going down for a look.
Be sure to stop by on your next journey!

Old 05-08-2022, 08:09 PM

I pretty much have decided to do a reverse trip in September and hopefully the weather will be better by then. I was tempted to go there but it was so cold and drizzling. After the horrendous drive through the snowstorm, I was fried.

I figure if I do this the first part of September the weather should be much better. Tomorrow I should reach Theodore Roosevelt National Park and plan to stay a day or two.

I drove over 9 hours today under bad conditions. I did not want to experience more cold and rain. And that's my choice.
How much would I have enjoyed it being as stressed out as I was?

As it was I have slept badly for the last two nights and expect more of the same tonight. Once I got to this little town the weather improved. Go figure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing