Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2021, 04:57 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,063,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Meo, I went to your albums and saw a delightful photo of Marigold ... I right-clicked on it, chose "copy image," then came back here and used the paste command (shift-insert on my regular old PC) ...

Love that picture! What a sweetie!
Great job, Prof! I never understood why people here don’t post more photos. Really makes posts more fun!

Since @ karen_in_nh_2012 posted her pet, I’ll post mine. Parker met a cat and wanted to play. The cat wasn’t impressed! It was hilarious! Don’t worry, I’ll pulled him back before the cat lost patience. What impressed me was that he never barked. Lol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 05:00 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
Love it!

Old 05-22-2021, 11:42 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,493,317 times
Well, Meo, I wondered what happened to you!
I've been looking in the wrong forum space!

I replaced my '06kia Sedona minivan in Dec '19 with a '19 dodge Grand caravan.
If I put an 8' 2x4 in the Kia, I had to put it through and up on the dash. The grand caravan is longer, almost holds a full 4x8 sheet. The curves from back middle to sides is what doesn't quite allow it .

It's space is wonderful, something you might want to consider without going full sized can. I bought an off-lease with 30k, for $16,999. Brand new still on the lot '19 models were average of $35k, so I recommend you consider it, but wait til the car market cools off a bit.

It's got the 3.6 l engine, which I can say COULD get better mileage! (Average 16-18mpg, but I'm mostly city/hwy mix, might be better on the highway only.

It's got the stow-and-go seats, which is great. Take those out and if you can get to the wells, you've got loads of storage!

I love the fact it's bigger than the Kia, something I didn't know when I bought the Kia (worst vehicle I've ever owned!). This is my 4th caravan/Grand caravan.

It has roof rack holders, but not the cross pieces. I'm going to get those someday.
So your roof top storage idea would work. Check craigslist for used roof rack storage unit s, you might get quite a deal.

It looks like you are having fun!

Keep us posted.

My problem with doing what you're doing is I need constant medical treatment s, and that would be hard for more than, say, 3 mos on the road. I need a place to land where I can get those medical needs attended to, and no, a walk-in WON'T work.
Have you thought about your medical needs as time progresses? How do you plan to handle those? And getting any regular meds you need?

Best to you.. enjoying your posts...

Old 05-22-2021, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Well, Meo, I wondered what happened to you!
I've been looking in the wrong forum space!

I replaced my '06kia Sedona minivan in Dec '19 with a '19 dodge Grand caravan.
If I put an 8' 2x4 in the Kia, I had to put it through and up on the dash. The grand caravan is longer, almost holds a full 4x8 sheet. The curves from back middle to sides is what doesn't quite allow it .

It's space is wonderful, something you might want to consider without going full sized can. I bought an off-lease with 30k, for $16,999. Brand new still on the lot '19 models were average of $35k, so I recommend you consider it, but wait til the car market cools off a bit.

It's got the 3.6 l engine, which I can say COULD get better mileage! (Average 16-18mpg, but I'm mostly city/hwy mix, might be better on the highway only.

It's got the stow-and-go seats, which is great. Take those out and if you can get to the wells, you've got loads of storage!

I love the fact it's bigger than the Kia, something I didn't know when I bought the Kia (worst vehicle I've ever owned!). This is my 4th caravan/Grand caravan.

It has roof rack holders, but not the cross pieces. I'm going to get those someday.
So your roof top storage idea would work. Check craigslist for used roof rack storage unit s, you might get quite a deal.

It looks like you are having fun!

Keep us posted.

My problem with doing what you're doing is I need constant medical treatment s, and that would be hard for more than, say, 3 mos on the road. I need a place to land where I can get those medical needs attended to, and no, a walk-in WON'T work.
Have you thought about your medical needs as time progresses? How do you plan to handle those? And getting any regular meds you need?

Best to you.. enjoying your posts...

I was thinking of a Dodge Caravan but have decided to wait for more realistic prices. I hope by next year. Yes, it would be more comfortable but life is what it is right now, for all of us.

Shops, tradespeople, any one who took a hit this past year, and I think that is everyone, has to recoup losses. Those that bought vehicles to travel/vacation in, hopefully will get tired of it and sell those vehicles once they can travel like 'normal people '.

Seriously, it wasn't that hard for me. It was only when it was super windy and I couldn't cook outside that I had a semi hard time. I even quit drinking coffee when it was too windy to boil water. Somehow I survived, chuckle.

Sorry to hear your health isn't better. I had no problem getting prescriptions. I transferred them to Walmart, which is everywhere. My health actually improved; I'm walking better and I actually slept better. Going to sleep with the stars was very beneficial for me. Eating when I was hungry instead of when the clock said it was time was really good for me also. All in all, my health improved.

As for the future? I don't think 67 is that old. There are nomads who are a lot older and doing well. When I think back, I was really depressed before I started traveling. That ended when I saw the beauty in nature.

I assume the day will come when I have to stop and when it does,I'll have some choices. It may be Minnesota, here on the farm, either in the trailer I'm currently in or a tiny house on my other brother's part of the farm, or I may do as other nomads are doing and buy land somewhere south.

Or, maybe get with a group of others and be in a communal setting. I think this past year has taught all of us that nothing in life is guaranteed.

Last edited by meo92953; 05-22-2021 at 05:53 PM..

Old 05-22-2021, 10:50 PM

A thought, just a thought-no real plans- is that maybe I can buy this travel trailer I'm staying in from my sister's so and talk to my brother's about a plot of the farm to keep it permanently on and keep it as my base home.It's just percolating in my mind at the moment.

It would be a win-win situation as the SO took it in payment for a job he did that the person ended up not having the money to pay him.

I don't know what he would even want for it. I don't know if my brothers would go for my idea. I don't know if it's feasible. At the moment it's only an idea. But...it may be a realistic idea.

I know Marigold sure enjoys living here. She's been extremely clingy today, which is unusual for her. Cuddly and wanting a lot of petting. I went along with her needs as it happens so infrequently and enjoyed the extra closeness.

I still don't plan on staying during winter though, lol.

Old 05-23-2021, 07:59 AM

View from th trailer

Old 05-23-2021, 02:06 PM

4,150 posts, read 3,907,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post

. Those that bought vehicles to travel/vacation in, hopefully will get tired of it and sell those vehicles once they can travel like 'normal people '.
What I am seeing a lot of is sprinter van RV's and they are not cheap. Winnebago Travoto is about $130,000 on up depending on options. It will take a while but eventually there will be a ton of the used sprinter vans on the market. A lot are do it yourselfers without all the amenities of a Winnebago and less costly. Still I would think someone would have $60-70K in one. I prefer under $20,000 cost for all vehicles I buy.
Attached Thumbnails
An update on my current situation-travato.jpg  

Old 05-23-2021, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
What I am seeing a lot of is sprinter van RV's and they are not cheap. Winnebago Travoto is about $130,000 on up depending on options. It will take a while but eventually there will be a ton of the used sprinter vans on the market. A lot are do it yourselfers without all the amenities of a Winnebago and less costly. Still I would think someone would have $60-70K in one. I prefer under $20,000 cost for all vehicles I buy.
I agree. I'm wondering though if someone who bought a minivan,which is really all I need, might want to downsize to a smaller vehicle. Everything for me right now is speculation. I've already decided to keep the Cube for another year. I purchased a shower tent so it will be easier. I'm looking into a roof cargo system and a back tire rack. Either of those will give me more room.

I'm going to research as much as I can to get the best space. One of the great things about the Cube is the head room. Can't stand up in it but I had no problem sitting up.

Lots to think about and time to do just that.

Old 05-23-2021, 03:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Stick with the minivan idea for budget travel / living. There are conversion kits ($2500), or DIY for $500
Check New Zealand sites for good ideas with minivans.

Sprinter campervans were too much when we were looking ($58k) and now are 2x that. Several friends have them and they are expensive to maintain, and often in the shop. Our Riata has a lot more room, same economy and $25k. (not perfect, but close enough). It has never been to the workshop. Likely never will have to go there. (If I keep it under 350k miles)

Old 05-23-2021, 05:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
A thought, just a thought-no real plans- is that maybe I can buy this travel trailer I'm staying in from my sister's so and talk to my brother's about a plot of the farm to keep it permanently on and keep it as my base home.It's just percolating in my mind at the moment.

I still don't plan on staying during winter though, lol.
If leaving RV FT in MN, consider the extra expense of a covered area for parking (RV's last MUCH longer when kept dry and out from under the freeze / thaw of ice and snow.)

Minimum you could have an enclosed storage area under a carport. Ideally, a barndominium with RV hookups, and a bath and laundry.

Our MN cousins built a river rock cabin for camping near thier pond and it has an arched bridge to get there. A very nice setting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing