Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2021, 11:38 AM

7,045 posts, read 6,298,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
If leaving RV FT in MN, consider the extra expense of a covered area for parking (RV's last MUCH longer when kept dry and out from under the freeze / thaw of ice and snow.)

Minimum you could have an enclosed storage area under a carport. Ideally, a barndominium with RV hookups, and a bath and laundry.

Our MN cousins built a river rock cabin for camping near thier pond and it has an arched bridge to get there. A very nice setting.
You brought up a good point.

We discussed it last night when we were all together. Sister's SO is thinking it over. He would only charge what he has into it, $1500 or so. NADA has it priced at $2080 so that works for me IF and when we hook up water and everything works. So far everyone has been too busy and since I'm used to the nomad lifestyle, I feel that this is luxury already. I'm close enough to the house that getting water and using the facilities isn't an issue. Electric is hooked up and working.

My brother is very responsive to my living on his land but he doesn't have the outside power needed so that would have to be a consideration. My nephew could build a carport of sorts, as he did my brother's porch. I could also just stay where I'm at, by my sister. There's a three car garage but a lot of it is used for storage. Or it could easily fit in the pole barn during the winter.

I've got a decent amount in my emergency fund but want to make sure I am wise in using it and I want to always have at least $5000 at all times. If/when I have to use some, I plan to build it back up asap.

Still a lot to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2021, 12:11 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
What I am seeing a lot of is sprinter van RV's and they are not cheap. Winnebago Travoto is about $130,000 on up depending on options. It will take a while but eventually there will be a ton of the used sprinter vans on the market. A lot are do it yourselfers without all the amenities of a Winnebago and less costly. Still I would think someone would have $60-70K in one. I prefer under $20,000 cost for all vehicles I buy.
The Travato is built on a RAM Promaster chassis.

My Sprinter/Roadtrek is 7 years old now. I'm planning on keeping it at least 20 years, clocking 10k miles per year. I don't find it expensive to maintain, not compared to the pleasure it gives me. Love having a generator.

Old 05-27-2021, 04:55 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,906,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The Travato is built on a RAM Promaster chassis.

My Sprinter/Roadtrek is 7 years old now. I'm planning on keeping it at least 20 years, clocking 10k miles per year. I don't find it expensive to maintain, not compared to the pleasure it gives me. Love having a generator.
Any vehicle I buy I plan on keeping long term. I would think the average is 3 or 4 years for most which throws a lot on the used market which is not a bad thing at all.

Old 05-27-2021, 09:15 AM

So cold today. Don't have heat hooked up yet and 43° in MN feels like 30° in AZ to me. It's supposed to start heating up tomorrow though. I'm looking forward to that.

Marigold has been spending the majority of her time on my lap, absorbing the heat from my body and trying to interfere with my typing. At night she cuddles close, although she doesn't like blankets and doesn't like when I put them over her.

I'm fascinated by the deer as they scamper close by. Taz usually keeps them away by barking at them when they are on her property but when she's at my brother's tending to the cats over there, the deer run by. They're too fast to catch on camera but I love watching them.

Old 05-29-2021, 03:32 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
So cold today. Don't have heat hooked up yet and 43° in MN feels like 30° in AZ to me. It's supposed to start heating up tomorrow though. I'm looking forward to that.

Marigold has been spending the majority of her time on my lap, absorbing the heat from my body and trying to interfere with my typing. At night she cuddles close,although she doesn't like blankets and doesn't like when I put them over her.

I'm fascinated by the deer as they scamper close by. Taz usually keeps them away by barking at them when they are on her property but when she's at my brother's tending to the cats over there, the deer run by. They're too fast to catch on camera but I love watching them.

Yeah, cats love to soak up body warmth from their humans when the temperature is low.

There is a poster in North Carolina whose dog sometimes times his attention seeking to dovetail with the poster’s typing .

Old 05-30-2021, 09:20 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,037,272 times
Meo, I just found this thread and jumped around a few posts to get the gist of it. Now i must go to the beginning and see how your journey came about in the first place. Safe travels wherever you go, and happy dreams whenever you rest.

Old 05-30-2021, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Meo, I just found this thread and jumped around a few posts to get the gist of it. Now i must go to the beginning and see how your journey came about in the first place. Safe travels wherever you go, and happy dreams whenever you rest.
That's a lot of reading! I hope you enjoy it.

In the past two days a deer has visited. The first time was brief and it stayed still and stared at me. The next day was longer and I just held my breath. It stayed until Marigold came out and scared it away.

I felt privileged and was in awe. Nature is so spectacular.

Old 05-30-2021, 01:33 PM

Better picture

Old 05-30-2021, 05:34 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
Quote:
In the past two days a deer has visited. The first time was brief and it stayed still and stared at me. The next day was longer and I just held my breath. It stayed until Marigold came out and scared it away.
Had to smile at this. Beautiful little Marigold scared away a deer?

Quote:
I felt privileged and was in awe. Nature is so spectacular.
I get wildlife in my back yard quite often ... deer (including once a mom with a tiny fawn), wild turkey with a bunch of babies, a mama fox with several babies (I LOVED watching them chase each other around my back yard), even a bear (I've never seen him although some of my neighbors have ... I've only seen his tracks around the perimeter of my house ).

I love them all. They are one of the main reasons I bought the house I did.

I wish you could post more pictures, Meo! Please keep trying! (I wish my grass looked like the grass in that photo you just posted! )

Old 05-30-2021, 07:48 PM

I love hearing about your wildlife. Taz keeps most things away. She's very protective.

I'm working on getting pictures imported. Without all of you, I wouldn't have been able to even do this much.

The picture above was where a huge garden used to be. It finally got to be too much, even with four of us working on it and we let it go back to grass. My brother has a smaller one on his side of the property. It's just now starting to grow.

Last edited by meo92953; 05-30-2021 at 08:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing