Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2021, 06:34 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
You are certainly giving me a LOT to consider. I have a ways to go before I can retire, but your thread is really making me think about the nomadic life! Thank you!

You're welcome.

I got into it by, first checking into tiny house living and being frugal. I had a hard time with apartment living. I stumbled on the cheaprvliving videos and, at first, didn't see how I could do it, especially with a cat and a small car.

Then I got new upstairs neighbors who were extremely noisy and I decided anything was better than apartment living. I'm very grateful for those neighbors now as it was the push I needed.

Make sure you watch plenty of videos, via utube, and research what is needed. I learned so much about how other people were living this lifestyle. I would have been clueless without their knowledge.

I'm glad I started out at a LTVA as I learned first hand from the neighbors who were there. I haven't decided yet if I will just boondock or stay at the LTVA 's. It depends on whether there will be caravans starting up this fall. Bob Wells has indicated that he is confident they will. I would love to join a women's caravan if they do.

BUT, make sure this is something you can do, or leave yourself an out if you have doubts. I, personally, am so glad I made the decision to do this. No regrets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 03:01 PM

Another thing I did, which turned out to be a real lifesaver, was to buy something for the journey each month when I received my check. The jackery and solar panels were so handy. The battery charger also, although it turned out I didn't need it, sitill, it was a huge relief to know I had it. The tri-fold mattress sure came in handy. The butane stove I used And still use, constantly.

I ordered extra butane before I left as I read that it was sometimes hard to find. I stocked up on nonrefundable food before I left. One thing I wish I'd gotten And am still looking for, is a breadbox. My bread constantly got squashed. Hopefully I can find one at the city-side garage sale this weekend. I'll also be looking for other 'traveling ' items at that time.

And by buying things a little at a time, it wasn't a burden and I could easily afford it.

Old 06-03-2021, 06:35 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Another thing I did, which turned out to be a real lifesaver, was to buy something for the journey each month when I received my check. The jackery and solar panels were so handy. The battery charger also, although it turned out I didn't need it, sitill, it was a huge relief to know I had it. The tri-fold mattress sure came in handy. The butane stove I used And still use, constantly.

I ordered extra butane before I left as I read that it was sometimes hard to find. I stocked up on nonrefundable food before I left. One thing I wish I'd gotten And am still looking for, is a breadbox. My bread constantly got squashed. Hopefully I can find one at the city-side garage sale this weekend. I'll also be looking for other 'traveling ' items at that time.

And by buying things a little at a time, it wasn't a burden and I could easily afford it.
Here are some bread boxes, but maybe you will find the one you like at a garage sale.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bread+box&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Old 06-03-2021, 07:00 PM

Thanks Hawk. I ordered the bamboo one. I'm a little leery of the assembly required but we'll see.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:30 PM

I wasn't going to write about this, but decided to. The last few days have been - not good is an understatement.

My sister's SO shoots the predators here. Well, two days ago Taz, that wonderful dog, dragged a huge racoon into the yard by my trailer. It was huge and she couldn't drag it further I guess.

I was appalled, to say the least. SO was supposed to remove it the next day, but he didn't.

Then today Taz dragged a gopher into the yard. Both these animals were dead, or course.

I was ready to leave, sickened by the whole thing. Fortunately, they were both taken away tonight.

Poor Taz thought she was doing a good thing, and she was just doing her job, but I had a really hard time with it.

I know it's all part of country living, but yuk.

That's my rant for the night.

Old 06-04-2021, 09:05 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,090,525 times
My mom was never impressed that her favorite dog would drag dead skunks home and leave them on the front porch. The oil would soak into the porch floor, so we had few visitors.! As farmers, we only used the back door.

Our dog lays out his daily kill all neatly by the back door in a perfect line. Usually 5-10 moles, a few gophers. The cat is sneaky and likes to bring it's prey into the house to torture some more, before biting off the head and discarding the rest.

Lifecycle of nature.

On a more positive spin... At the neighbor ranch last night, they have over 20 new kittens, and they got into to habit of flying! They would climb up on us, then jump across to the next person sitting by the campfire. Some made it, some missed...

Old 06-04-2021, 09:07 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I wasn't going to write about this, but decided to. The last few days have been - not good is an understatement.

My sister's SO shoots the predators here. Well, two days ago Taz, that wonderful dog, dragged a huge racoon into the yard by my trailer. It was huge and she couldn't drag it further I guess.

I was appalled, to say the least. SO was supposed to remove it the next day, but he didn't.

Then today Taz dragged a gopher into the yard. Both these animals were dead, or course.

I was ready to leave, sickened by the whole thing. Fortunately, they were both taken away tonight.

Poor Taz thought she was doing a good thing, and she was just doing her job, but I had a really hard time with it.

I know it's all part of country living, but yuk.

That's my rant for the night.
I'm sorry you had to see this, Meo. If he had to shoot these animals, he should have buried them right away.

Old 06-04-2021, 01:35 PM

Sometimes they don't die right away is what I'm thinking. Then Taz usually takes them into the forest when she finds them. It's no one's fault and I've lived in the country long enough to know there are certain predators you have to get rid of.

Since this is the first time I've seen the dead ones, I assume he couldn't find that one. Taz probably killed the littler one. I'm sure it was a gift for me. Not appreciated but still a gift.

Old 06-04-2021, 01:37 PM

Flying kittens, Stealth, what a fun sight to see!

Old 06-04-2021, 06:47 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,083,414 times
Oh, Meo, I feel for you ... although my dead critters have not been as bad as yours!

Before I remodeled my kitchen in '18-19, I had a problem with mice. I knew I probably would, given that I live in a 1960 house on 1.29 acres of mostly wooded land, but I am totally freaked out by mice, dead or alive, so I was hoping to never see them.

Alas, I DID see them.

My semi-feral kitty Chloe, whom I adopted on 12/26/16, is a GREAT huntress. That's good, I guess, except when I was in the kitchen cooking and she would saunter by with a mouse in her mouth. A few times I saw her catch one, kill it, and then just sit preening next to the corpse, just delighted with herself. A few times I just found the corpse (usually the morning after a kill), as she had long since lost interest in it.

Yeah, all those were as bad as they sound, especially for someone like me.

Luckily, and KNOCK WOOD, I have not seen a mouse in the living area of my house (i.e. above the basement) since the remodel -- I think all the access points were closed off. I KNOW I have some in the basement but I've never seen any (just evidence of their presence, YUCK), but I am not sure that I'll ever be able to keep them out completely, given where I live.

As long as I don't have to see them (or the corpses), I think I can live with it ...

But a dead racoon in my yard? Or a dead gopher? UGH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing