Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2021, 04:45 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times

Advertisements

I stayed at a campground recently and all I could hear at night was the wind.

I was surprised since it looked like most people there were not just passing through. At $45/night, which seems to be the going rate in the Southwest for a commercial campground, you can afford $1350/month in space rent if two of you are working. I see some advantages over apartment living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2021, 06:49 AM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Meo, you might want to get a portable keyboard... they're small and don't cost much.
And I see there are video lessons on Youtube.
That's an interesting idea. Definitely something to think about.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I stayed at a campground recently and all I could hear at night was the wind.

I was surprised since it looked like most people there were not just passing through. At $45/night, which seems to be the going rate in the Southwest for a commercial campground, you can afford $1350/month in space rent if two of you are working. I see some advantages over apartment living.
I believe you can get a lower rate for long term. I can't remember which couples do that but do remember them mentioning it.Definitely better than an apartment. No one above or below you and rules about noise before and after certain hours.

I think also it would allow time to explore the area. I really enjoyed the campground I stayed at in Tennessee and would like to return and stay longer.

I plan on joining up with a women's caravan this fall. That should be interesting. It would be on BLM land and we'd move every 14 days, per the rules. That is just enough time to explore the area. I got my vaccinations as soon as I got home and it feels good to know I don't have to be as concerned this time out.

I'm excited and looking forward to learning from others who've been doing this for a longer time. I have learned a lot from videos and Facebook groups but will be great to hear first hand.

Yesterday was Amazon prime day and I bought some of the things that others have recommended, not much due to space issues, but a collapsible pan with a cutting board in the bottom intrigued me. At half price it's worth it.

I also bought a life straw and a titanium water bottle. I didn't need to purify water while I stayed at Quartzsite but I think it's a good idea to have those 'just in case' items.

The last thing I bought was a bug zapper, which I really hope works. It's got a cord so it's a plug in and sticky strips and is supposed to attract bugs. The flies in the desert were really bothersome and with Marigold as my partner I couldn't put up fly strips in that small space. I never did figure out how to get rid of them other than a fly swatter.

This is some of what I hope to learn from others who've dealt with these problems.

Last edited by meo92953; 06-22-2021 at 08:14 AM..

Old 06-22-2021, 08:59 PM

I haven't talked about Marigold for awhile. That's because she's been just fine. She loves the freedom she has here but jumps inside when Taz, the dog, comes around. She does not like to get close to dogs for some reason. That's too bad because Taz loves cats.

Marigold gets clingy when she needs grooming. It took me awhile to catch on to that but now I know when she gets clingy it's time to pull out the detangler and get rid of her excess fur. There's always a lot of it as she's a long haired cat. Once that's done, she becomes her usual self.

She does not like it when I'm away though. I took her with me everywhere when we were traveling but now, with the trailer, I close the door and leave her inside when I have to go somewhere. Today it was picking up prescriptions and getting the oil changed. It took quite awhile and it took her much longer to forgive me for leaving her.

She's so funny. I love her so much and can't imagine what life would be without her. Thankfully she's healthy and spunky and decidedly Marigold.

Old 06-23-2021, 09:53 PM

It's thundering outside right now. There was a smattering of rain, but then it stopped. Hope it continues. I'll probably stay up for awhile to see what happens.

It makes me think of the poor people in Arizona right now. The national forests are closing or into evacuation status due to the risk of fires in the news reports I've read. I just feel for those people so greatly.

Continuous prayers for them on my part.

Old 06-24-2021, 03:34 PM

45 posts, read 13,419 times
Yes I have heard record breaking heat there this year!!!

I have skimmed your thread meo92953 and I wanna thank you for keeping it updated and all

Old 06-26-2021, 05:33 PM

The Fenun bug zapper is a huge success. It was pricey but we'll worth it. The instructions said to close windows and I noped that idea as the whole point is to use it when I'm in the car with the windows cracked for air circulation.

Well, when I got up this morning the entire screen was filled with dead knats and a few dead moths. I was astounded. There were also bugs in the bottom of the container on the sticky pad but the screen told the real story.

I'll still give it a week to make sure as it was $44 with the Prime sale but fairly certain it's worth every penny.

Now I have to figure out screens for the car windows as the pull on one's that go over the door frame are a fail, probably because of my rain guards. I've seen a few ideas but not certain. Since the entire car is fiberglass, using magnets doesn't work. I just have to keep searching for ideas.

Old 06-26-2021, 11:22 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I haven't talked about Marigold for awhile. That's because she's been just fine. She loves the freedom she has here but jumps inside when Taz, the dog, comes around. She does not like to get close to dogs for some reason. That's too bad because Taz loves cats.

Marigold gets clingy when she needs grooming. It took me awhile to catch on to that but now I know when she gets clingy it's time to pull out the detangler and get rid of her excess fur. There's always a lot of it as she's a long haired cat. Once that's done, she becomes her usual self.

She does not like it when I'm away though. I took her with me everywhere when we were traveling but now, with the trailer, I close the door and leave her inside when I have to go somewhere. Today it was picking up prescriptions and getting the oil changed. It took quite awhile and it took her much longer to forgive me for leaving her.

She's so funny. I love her so much and can't imagine what life would be without her. Thankfully she's healthy and spunky and decidedly Marigold.
When you are on the road, you’re fortunate to have a cat that doesn’t mind riding in a vehicle.

I’ve had cats I loved as pets in the past, but all of them absolutely hated riding in a vehicle.

Old 06-27-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
When you are on the road, you’re fortunate to have a cat that doesn’t mind riding in a vehicle.

I’ve had cats I loved as pets in the past, but all of them absolutely hated riding in a vehicle.
I didn't give her a choice. It was either take her with me or give her away. At that point we'd been together for three+ years and I was unwilling to give her away.

It did take her a while to like traveling but she soon learned to like it.

Old 06-28-2021, 02:07 PM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I didn't give her a choice. It was either take her with me or give her away. At that point we'd been together for three+ years and I was unwilling to give her away.

It did take her a while to like traveling but she soon learned to like it.
To attach screen to your car window, perhaps figure out which kind of tape adheres to your car finish the best. It might be Duck Tape (Duct tape.), with a color to match your Cube.

https://www.google.com/search?q=duck...client=gws-wiz

We spent some winters exploring SoCal/ NV/ AZ, in our 37' class A motor home. We brought 2 cats & 2 dogs with us. They were happy & got along fine, providing they were able to look out the windshield & some of the other windows. They liked being able to see other folks & animals walking by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing