Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2021, 02:26 PM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times

Advertisements

On a lighter note, had some great finds at the garage sales. I concentrated on things I'd wanted while I was traveling. 4 sweatshirts, some sweatpants, a couple jeans.

Also a quilt made by the church ladies. I have enough blankets but there's nothing like a handmade quilt made by church folks in Minnesota. Not only great memories but I can then double the large comforter for further comfort on top of the tri-fold mattress.

A set of 8 hard plastic large bowls. I'll leave most of them in the trailer but they're great for traveling. I also got some large soft sided totes; these come in handy for clothes as the contract as you use them and expand as you put dirty clothes in. They're also handy when doing laundry.

The thing I love finding the most was a radio/CD player alarm clock. It's a Memorex and was $1.00. Looks brand new. I was missing having music and this was a great find.

I left before it was all over because the temperature is going to be 100° today which is very unusual for Minnesota and I wanted to get back to the lake breezes. It's going to be hot for a few days I hear.

I didn't spend all the money I brought, outside of the quilt, which was $25, most things were extremely cheap. Actually, that was a great price for the quilt. When I worked in the city there were people I worked with who would gladly have paid $75-100 for a homemade quilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2021, 02:54 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,038,174 times
25 bucks is great for a handmade quilt! Well done, meo!!

Old 06-05-2021, 03:16 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,551,576 times
Too bad you weren't around Kentucky this weekend. 400 mile yard sale is going on, stretching from Paducah to Maysville, along US 68.

Old 06-05-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Too bad you weren't around Kentucky this weekend. 400 mile yard sale is going on, stretching from Paducah to Maysville, along US 68.
I'd heard about that. My feet are hurting right now. I couldn't imagine going to all those sales but I'll bet it's awesome.

Old 06-05-2021, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
25 bucks is great for a handmade quilt! Well done, meo!!
Yes, it is and every time I use it, I'll think of home. Before my back problems I use to help at the church quilting projects. The quilts were sent to countries that needed them.

Another good memory.

Old 06-06-2021, 09:18 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Sometimes they don't die right away is what I'm thinking. Then Taz usually takes them into the forest when she finds them. It's no one's fault and I've lived in the country long enough to know there are certain predators you have to get rid of.

Since this is the first time I've seen the dead ones, I assume he couldn't find that one. Taz probably killed the littler one. I'm sure it was a gift for me. Not appreciated but still a gift.
I live on a forested mountain with meadows full of wildflowers/ferns & a bass pond. Often i see some forest critters. They drink out of my pond. There are often deer. One day 2 racoons were peeking over the edge of my deck, then they went to play in my pond. After they got tired they wandered off into the forest, on their merry way... I don't feed them & i don't leave my dog or cat food outside. I don't leave food garbage outside. In over 6 lustrum i've never had a serious problem with a forest critter/friend.

knock on wood

Old 06-06-2021, 06:11 PM

I don't know or understand why the creatures here are considered dangerous, unless it's because of the chickens. I haven't talked to either my sister or her so about it but the chickens are let out every day and that's the only thing I can think of. Since they are the mainstay of their food, and are penned up but allowed out, they have to be protected.

They would be a tasty treat for a predator.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:02 AM

17,639 posts, read 22,650,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I don't know or understand why the creatures here are considered dangerous, unless it's because of the chickens. I haven't talked to either my sister or her so about it but the chickens are let out every day and that's the only thing I can think of. Since they are the mainstay of their food, and are penned up but allowed out, they have to be protected.

They would be a tasty treat for a predator.
I understand that a farmer wants to protect all their animals from predators, but i wouldn't kill every small or large predator that crosses my land, unless they have gone after my animals.

I have 3 inside/outside cats. Some predators will go after/kill cats sometimes.
Bald Eagles & hawks have been known to kill cats sometimes, but i wouldn't shoot every Bald Eagle or hawk i see fly over my property. Occasionally Bald Eagles / hawks/osprey take some fish out of my bass pond. Such is the way of nature.
The wild animals were here first. If a person wants to live out in the country, they learn how to live with them.
If a predator went after my family or animals, i would kill them.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I understand that a farmer wants to protect all their animals from predators, but i wouldn't kill every small or large predator that crosses my land, unless they have gone after my animals.

I have 3 inside/outside cats. Some predators will go after/kill cats sometimes.
Bald Eagles & hawks have been known to kill cats sometimes, but i wouldn't shoot every Bald Eagle or hawk i see fly over my property. Occasionally Bald Eagles / hawks/osprey take some fish out of my bass pond. Such is the way of nature.
The wild animals were here first. If a person wants to live out in the country, they learn how to live with them.
If a predator went after my family or animals, i would kill them.
I agree. It's sometimes harsh to think about but the food chain is what it is. Animals are only trying to survive.

We've had cats taken by hawks, a sight I'm glad I never was subject to. In Arizona, it's coyotes. You could hear them howling but I seldom saw them. Cats kill mice and small creatures. It's all a cycle of life.

There used to be wolves here and I suppose there still is, but I haven't heard any stories of them for a long time. Civilization may have come too close, I don't know.

I worried about Marigold at times but she always stayed close to the car. Here, she stays close to the trailer. She goes in and out freely, just as she did in the car, but she stays close. Of course, she's a big cat, not a kitten which are the ones usually taken here.

I suppose that's why the farmers here, and I suppose everywhere, have so many barn cats. They sometimes just disappear but you need them for rodent control.

Old 06-07-2021, 09:27 AM

There are a ton of dragonflies here, which I love. Not only are they beautiful, in my eyes, but they really help with mosquito control. It might be because the trailer is nestled in the trees, within walking distance to the house but still away from it, but they seem to fly around the trailer much more than the house.

It's going to be hot for at least this week, in the 90's supposedly cooling down by Thursday. Because I'm in amongst the trees and fairly close to the lake it's quite tolerable, since I get the lake breezes. I feel for the town folks though as this is so unusual for Minnesota. The weather has been so very different this year for the entire country it seems.

Yesterday and this morning, at least, the wind has kept things fairly cool and then by the middle of the night you need a blanket. As much as I miss Arizona I am very glad I'm here and not there. I do look forward to traveling there again though in the fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing