Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2021, 07:56 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,291,056 times

Advertisements

Thank you. Some days I can't believe how my life has changed. I am so thankful, each and every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 08:12 PM

I just watched a video by RV Odd Couple. They are one of my favorite utubers.

They're very excited because they are in the process of possibly buying a deserted RV camp in Alabama. It's deserted because the couple who owned it aged out and could no longer do the upkeep, maintenance, etc.

If you'll watch their video, they totally explain everything. It all started because they were having trouble finding RV parks with openings.

They have big dreams and I sincerely hope they come to fruition. They are such a special couple.

This may be some of the wave of the future. People banding together to keep a beautiful idea alive.

Sure, if it works, they'll make a profit, and they should. It sounds so good. Fingers crossed and prayers sent for them.

Last edited by meo92953; 06-13-2021 at 08:22 PM..

Old 06-13-2021, 08:40 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I read through the posts regarding how the predictions on when the covid crisis was so off and some of the responses brought so much to my mind.

If I hadn't been laid off at 55, during the recession when the organization I worked for changed their mission and my job title, community organizer, was eliminated, none of this would have happened. I was either over qualified or, let's face it, too old. The companies that were hiring were hiring younger people who would accept a lower salary. Little did they know, a lot of us older folks would and did accept anything to try save our homes and keep food on the table. Many of us lost everything.

We didn't get the help from the government that has been given to people during this crisis, although I'm not certain that was such a good thing as we at least had to try find work. We also had unemployment extended but, as happened to me, it you accepted a lower paid position, even temporarily, the unemployment then based the amount on that pay. This was NOT a win-win solution.

This forced many of us to make decisions that we never thought we'd have to make. I was one of the lucky ones who had family to back me up. Many weren't so lucky. I lost most of my possessions but had food and a roof over my head.

I wish I'd known about this lifestyle then, but I'd led a fairly sheltered life, always had good jobs, never living high off the hog, but we'll enough to buy a small house. It didn't occur to me that this was even a way people lived.

I like the way things have turned out but there were some pretty hard years. Who knows though what would have happened? Maybe if it hadn't happened the way it did I wouldn't be so content now. I had a wall to wall closet that was crammed full, because I always had to look professional. I wouldn't have dreamed of wearing the same thing within two weeks, at least.

Yikes! I can't even recognize the person I was now.

When I finally started researching and found out about the RTR, I didn't go because I couldn't figure out how I'd sleep in my car and didn't know anyone who'd take care of my cat. I never imagined taking her with me.

Who was to know she'd take to traveling so well?

It took me at least two years of research, watching utubes, reading articles and books about how other people did this before I decided I could do it.

Now, as much as I am grateful for the opportunity to stay in this trailer, I sure miss looking out the windshield at the stars and the awe-inspiring sunsets. It brings life into perspective for me and I feel blessed to be able to see and experience this.

What a difference between can't wear anything twice and, hmmm, have to do laundry before my clothes smell.
When I was a teenager I worked with a guy who after his divorce he set out on a two year adventure. He took his old van and cruised the states. He would work odd jobs along the way. He was handy running equipment, building things, playing mechanic.

He worked at the same spot I did for a couple of summers. A couple years ago me and a group of coworkers at my current job stop into a nursing home before Christmas in an attempt to bring some holiday cheer in. I ran into him and we had a really nice conversation. Sadly he passed away about a year ago.

I think it would a fun adventure for a while to do what you’re doing. If it were me I still do a tour of the western states. There is something primal to a time when we as people were more nomadic. Thinking about Mongolians who are still nomadic in a seemly modern age. The appeal is real.

Old 06-13-2021, 09:55 PM

Oh yes, it is. As for the man you talked about, I think when you realize a dream you've had, there are few regrets. I don't know the circumstances but I'm fairly positive he had many good memories from his travel.

I know I have no regrets. I've seen too much beauty and even though it's not been the best year to travel or maybe because of that, I only look forward to what I'll be seeing next. I'm looking forward to experiencing the coast.

Old 06-14-2021, 01:17 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I just watched a video by RV Odd Couple. They are one of my favorite utubers.

They're very excited because they are in the process of possibly buying a deserted RV camp in Alabama. It's deserted because the couple who owned it aged out and could no longer do the upkeep, maintenance, etc.

If you'll watch their video, they totally explain everything. It all started because they were having trouble finding RV parks with openings.

They have big dreams and I sincerely hope they come to fruition. They are such a special couple.

This may be some of the wave of the future. People banding together to keep a beautiful idea alive.

Sure, if it works, they'll make a profit, and they should. It sounds so good. Fingers crossed and prayers sent for them.

If you could forego the "Profit" and buy a campground with a group of friends / like-minded-people, there are some nice funding options for a co-op, and a big benefit is that a co-op can screen it's members to be compliant with the objectives of the business (+/-). This has been very successful in Mobile Home Parks. https://rocusa.org/

We have a nearby ROC that is a very desirable park. They set up long-term camping portion of park as a way to generate revenue to support staff / swimming pool, improvements. Homes in the ROC increase in value, as the lot lease equivalent is ~1/4 the going rate and the members keep their park NICE! (it's THEIR park!)

Old 06-14-2021, 11:03 AM

This is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:54 PM

Just watched a video by Chrome, whose channel is Vancity Vanlife. He lives in Canada so not everything he videos is pertinent to the USA but I really like his videos. Makes me want to visit and I hope to some day.

His latest video is on what he uses to create his channel. I was fascinated. Apparently he relies mostly on his iPhone.

I have no intention of starting a utube channel but it's another instance of a nomad helping other nomads. Awesome.

My hope is that we all help each other. I have such a love for our country and hope that we will adopt the older values that helped us grow.

Last edited by meo92953; 06-14-2021 at 06:08 PM..

Old 06-15-2021, 05:57 PM

Gads I spent a lot of money today! Between Walmart and the Dollar Store, I spent almost $200.
I was shocked that Wal-Mart was out of so many things. The person stocking the vegetables said the delivery truck did not deliver the produce they needed and it had been a disastrous day.

They had romaine lettuce which was all I needed there, but even the rest of the store had a lot of empty spots. So glad I had previously stocked up on coffee because I was going to grab some more as long as I was there and they were out of the kind I like.

For those of you who live in the country, you understand stocking up whenever you're in town. For us, it's 18 miles round trip. Doesn't sound like much but it adds up. We try to only go twice a month or so.

Now I have to find places to put everything! This is an older trailer and some of the design is really impractical.

You'd think I would have no problem but, since we only shop a few times a month and stock up, therein lies the problem. When I'm traveling I keep things at a minimum because I have to and I'm usually going by or close to a town.

Old 06-16-2021, 09:35 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,632,485 times
Since the COVID-19 Pandemic started i order my groceries & pay for them online, at Walmart & Fred Meyer, etc. I order once a month. Sometimes once every two months. It's about 40 miles round trip.

I choose a day & time i want to pickup my groceries. I park in a designated parking spot for grocery pickup. My shopper brings my groceries out & loads up my Jeep. It is a big help & saves me a lot of time shopping in this way.
My shopper is very courteous towards me. I Thank them very much & tell them what a big help their service is to us. i haven't had any bad experiences since i started shopping in this way.

Old 06-16-2021, 05:33 PM

My sister does that a lot too. I'll have to learn from her. I just got used to shopping at Quartzsite and will have to readjust my thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing