Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2021, 10:39 AM

7,042 posts, read 6,293,948 times

Advertisements

I have to add that part of my intuition kicked in and I didn't share ALL that I have. I also didn't put up my shower tent or Marigolds tent, just in case. It's going to be hard enough taking down and setting up the little tent. I used very large stakes as that's what you need in the desert wind. I've got even larger ones for the shower tent, because of its height.

I also let the kid think I have very little money. Again, intuition kicked in. So I guess I'm getting a little better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 12:42 PM

602 posts, read 313,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I have to add that part of my intuition kicked in and I didn't share ALL that I have. I also didn't put up my shower tent or Marigolds tent, just in case. It's going to be hard enough taking down and setting up the little tent. I used very large stakes as that's what you need in the desert wind. I've got even larger ones for the shower tent, because of its height.

I also let the kid think I have very little money. Again, intuition kicked in. So I guess I'm getting a little better.
Good for you meo ....well done !

Old 12-14-2021, 01:10 PM

I've missed your posts, Mr B.

I've picked out three spots that will be good. One in Tyson Wash, which is across the road from where I am. It would be okay, but I'm not sure. There are two good ones here in South La Posa, one close to the front, by the office and one further down but still far enough from this group. Both these sights are close to a bathroom and both have good bushes by them.

The Tyson Wash one had only one good site Close to the bathroom open and it would be by another camper which the person put a ring of rocks around. I'm wondering if that means stay away.

I liked the one by the office best but wonder if they would frown on Marigold not being leashed. Don't know if I want to chance it because she still fights having a leash on.

It's probably going to be the one further down. I'll recheck all three tomorrow. Yes, tomorrow. The wind is already picking up and it's just started. The guy on the other side of me has his shower tent up and it's trying to collapse. He was outside looking at it earlier and left it be so I'm not going to interfere.

The thing is, even if you have large, sturdy stakes, if the wind is bad enough it can shred the tent. I.hope he knows that. This is why I'm not moving today. It's supposed to end in the middle of the night and I plan on getting up early and will move first thing.

Last edited by meo92953; 12-14-2021 at 01:20 PM..

Old 12-14-2021, 01:40 PM

I avoided North La Posa, where I was last year, because there are a lot of tent campers. There's nothing wrong with tent camping but I could run the risk of being in the same situation I am now. Last year a lot of people left before April 15' and some of the remaining people appeared a little sketchy. I left early too when I found myself a bit worried.

If I hadn't left early I might not have gone to Kingman and stayed at the blm land there. I loved Kingman and am glad I didn't miss seeing it.

When I leave this year I will go by way of Senator Wash and the blm land there. It's supposed to be beautiful there too. Then on to Oregon and Washington.

But that's way down the line and I won't start mapping it for quite a while.

Old 12-14-2021, 02:27 PM

Yikes, it's only 2:00 pm and the wind is rocking the car. The shower tent next door doesn't look like it's going to make it. I hope it does. They're not expensive to replace but hard to find. I commend the guy for putting extra guy lines on the wind side of his tent. He's got a large, looks like 3 room tent which is beautiful. Probably cost a good penny.

My little tent is a small one to two person tent and I keep over flow in it. It should be heavy enough to be okay. I also put my chairs in it. They might have been okay but it's advised to put them inside.

It's also a good way to hide them. The kid was admiring my new chair and made the comment that he was going to ask his friend to buy 3 of them. The friend is putting all extra funds towards a car and this kid wants him to spend $150 on chairs and whatever on a solar panel.

So it's a good thing for my chairs to be inside, so the 'wind' doesn't take them.

Old 12-14-2021, 04:07 PM

I met the guy next to me as he came from the bathroom. He had a large face mask on and I didn't recognize him. I recognized his dog though. He explained that he has asthma and needs to stay away from the dust as much as possible. No wonder he had to stop working on the shower tent. Lucky that he got his big tent tied down. I just hope his shower tent holds up.

Poor guy. I don't know how he does it in the desert.

Last year there was a huge windstorm and a lot of tents were torn up. It can be brutal at times. Mine made it because it's small and close to the ground and I kept the heavy things in it. It's not moving much now so I think it will be okay this year too. Pretty good for a $24 tent.

So why do we stay out here in this weather? Because it doesn't happen often and there's more good than bad.

Sometimes I still can't believe how much I love this lifestyle.

Last edited by meo92953; 12-14-2021 at 04:15 PM..

Old 12-14-2021, 04:34 PM

I was rereading the comments and I don't think I fully explained about why I didn't join the Women's Caravan. A lot had to do with the operation. I was weak for a long time and didn't think I had the strength to pack up and move every two weeks. I'm still not 100% although I'm much better. I just wasn't ready by the time I left Minnesota.

The LTVA's have hundreds of campers and I think the majority of them are fine. I just happened to meet one who isn't. I shouldn't have moved from my original spot but I thought since there was another woman there I would be fine.

I have to work on following my instincts and intuition. I haven't finished reading The Gift of Fear which talks about this. I'll start it again.

Old 12-14-2021, 07:29 PM

Wow - it's raining, the wind is rocking my car and I'm as snug as a bug in my beautiful Cube. I love the rain.

Old 12-14-2021, 09:58 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,669,950 times
Meo, looking forward to hearing about your new location and how it is working out.

I have also learned through the years that intuition is a very strong guide. I tend to be “too nice” myself and have gotten burned a few times. Now I simply say that I am unable to accommodate or provide something (when that would be to my detriment). Took me a long time, though.

Sadly there are unscrupulous people around anywhere and I am glad you are being cautious.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:19 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Wow - it's raining, the wind is rocking my car and I'm as snug as a bug in my beautiful Cube. I love the rain.
Yesterday & today we have been getting a bit of snow on the mountain (about 2" sticking). It's all white, beautiful.
Usually, our area gets very little wind. The other mountains protect us from the wind. The Rogue Valley gets windy.
We need the snow & rain, to end our drought, keep the forests green, bring forth beautiful, blossoming wildflowers.

Be Safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing