Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2021, 01:46 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Nearby Parker Dam had a great BLM campground 20+ yrs ago. Even had a rough golf course, wild burros.... My mom wintered there a few years while keeping econo house boat (<$2000) moored nearby.
Sounds nice. Your mom sounds like she was quite the woman. Adventurous and interesting.

I sometimes wonder what might have happened if I hadn't put everything into buying a house. I had so much money saved and lost everything, including my job, during the recession.

If only we could see into the future!

I must admit though that I had too much 'stuff' and and I'm happier now than I was. Although, cleaning out this car is tough. I have to take frequent breaks. Haven't found my chair yet or the rest of my stakes to put up the shower tent and Marigolds tent. Haven't finished clearing off the bed so I can make it up. Hope to get that done before nightfall. It won't kill me if I don't get it done, just means one more night sleeping sitting up and I've been doing that since I started out.

I love this new version of me. I was so sad and unhappy. Now each day brings a realization of what I can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2021, 03:12 PM

815 posts, read 981,046 times
You are such an inspiration!

I really enjoy reading your positive posts

Old 11-30-2021, 03:31 PM

Found my chair, almost have the bed cleared but thought I'd give Marigold a break because I keep pushing her out of wherever she is. She's being good, just confused as to where she's supposed to be.

When I went to town for the stakes, I stopped for gallon water jugs. Ummm, there were none to be found. I couldn't buy the 24 pack of bottled water as my car was too full. Now that it is emptied I will go tomorrow and get some. I did find six packs of little bottles and bought some of those.

This is a realistic view of the shipping crisis. These stores depend on the winter people for their livelihood yet, if people have to go to the Walmart at Parker that's what they'll do.

Even though I was crammed on the drive, I'm so thankful I stocked up. I looked and there was nothing of the food Marigold eats. Sure glad I bought plenty of that! I would have one unhappy cat if I hadn't.

Gas prices are high here also. I was paying anywhere from 3.09 to 3.29 on the drive here. It's 3.49 in Quartzsite. Quite a difference.

Old 11-30-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybygolly View Post
You are such an inspiration!

I really enjoy reading your positive posts
Thanks Molly. And to think it all so because I was looking into tiny homes and, probably frugal living, and came across nomadic living. I had no idea this could be done or that people were actually doing it.

The one thing I didn't buy that I should have is a water carrier. They shrink as you use them but can be pricey so thought I'd have no problem finding the gallon jugs. Little did I know.

I'll check at K&B tomorrow which is a camper paradise and where I bought the stakes. I may pick up another camping chair I saw there. It's $49, which I normally wouldn't pay, but it is so comfortable I may just treat myself. I'll have to really think on that but normally if I really want something and I keep thinking about it, it's worth it to me.

Last edited by meo92953; 11-30-2021 at 03:52 PM..

Old 11-30-2021, 05:26 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
One of the flea markets might have some used fishing rods & reels, etc, to buy, if you decide to look for one.

One of your neighbors might have a plastic empty gallon size water jug, you could buy.
There may be some clean jugs by the area trash site.

May you & Marigold have many wonderful Adventures.

Be Safe. Sometimes it's hard to determine just who you can trust. Most folks are good, but unfortunately, not all.

Old 11-30-2021, 08:18 PM

I'll try K&B first.

Got my bed set up. It is SO comfy. I wonder how I did without it. Bet I sleep like a log tonight.

Little things that make life so enjoyable.

I still have some arranging to do but I accomplished a lot today.

This is another reason I chose an LTVA. I really don't want to have to do this every two weeks. Maybe when I get a bigger vehicle but not now.I

It is so cozy and comfortable in here. I love it.

Old 11-30-2021, 10:38 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,639,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I'll try K&B first.

Got my bed set up. It is SO comfy. I wonder how I did without it. Bet I sleep like a log tonight.

Little things that make life so enjoyable.

I still have some arranging to do but I accomplished a lot today.

This is another reason I chose an LTVA. I really don't want to have to do this every two weeks. Maybe when I get a bigger vehicle but not now.I

It is so cozy and comfortable in here. I love it.

Sleep with Peace, Harmony, Tranquility

Last edited by Hawk J; 11-30-2021 at 11:20 PM..

Old 12-01-2021, 06:11 AM

I slept so well. Woke up in the dark at 4:45, much better than the 3:00 I 've been waking up.

I have to tweak a few things today. Because I'm such an early riser, I have to make sure to put things where I can easily find them in the dark. I was tired and not thinking when I went to sleep.

It's too early to make noise so I can't fumble around for the things to make my coffee. That will have to wait until other people wake up. Last night I slept with my head towards the back of the car. Today I will switch that around and put my fold up lap table there and make it my coffee station. As well as keeping water bottles for early morning. They're currently in the front and buried under other things I would have to move. For the first night in my bed I didn't do too badly though.

It's learning as I go along type of situation. It's actually fun and I certainly have to think things through. Much better than just watching tv all the time as I was doing while in an apartment.

I didn't do that in the trailer but since it was more like a house, I had everything at hand. This is definitely camping and I love it. I like having to use my brain and come up with solutions. And I have to be set up for the winter here because it does get cold. Not as cold as Minnesota, of course, but for a month or more it gets cold.

Thankfully I did get my cold weather clothes from the storage unit and will be prepared. They're currently in the tent and I still have to wash them but at least I have them.

I'm glad I waited to go to the laundromat as I came across my bag of quarters while setting up here. I have $40 in quarters I'd gotten at the bank. I also have laundry soap, which I didn't find until I started unpacking. I would have had to purchase quarters and soap at the laundromat if I'd gone right away. Now I will wash the old clothes and what I've been wearing while traveling and put everything in the tent, all clean and ready to go.

My sister didn't understand why it was a hassle for me to do laundry while I was there. The trailer was set far enough from her house so we wouldn't intrude on each other, which was a good plan. Except, it meant I, first had to make sure she wasn't doing laundry and I wouldn't be intruding. Then I had to drag my laundry over there and back. This is not so easy for a person who walks with a cane.

At a laundromat I grab one of the carts, go to the car, put my clothes in the cart and wheel it in to numerous machines. Easy, especially for a person who uses a cane.

Today, as soon as it is light, I will get the coffee station set up and make coffee. Then I have to find my shower tent and Marigolds tent. If I still can't locate the stakes for them, I'll just buy more. I have to go to K&B anyway because I've decided I want that chair. I'll then have the other one for company.

Old 12-01-2021, 10:16 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Meo, please be vigilant about coyotes. Ask around, and find out if they've been seen or heard in the area.
And perhaps keep Marigold confined in the mornings until some of the other campers are up and about.
Last year my sister (in suburban LA) lost a cat to a coyote. Don't let that happen to you!

Old 12-01-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Meo, please be vigilant about coyotes. Ask around, and find out if they've been seen or heard in the area.
And perhaps keep Marigold confined in the mornings until some of the other campers are up and about.
Last year my sister (in suburban LA) lost a cat to a coyote. Don't let that happen to you!
So sorry for your sister. But yes, coyotes have been spotted. I keep Marigold in from dusk to dawn. Although, the people we moved by have a yappy dog and she hasn't wanted to go outside. If/when she does it will be on a leash. I still haven't found where I put her tent. I'm going to have to take everything out to find it.

That's the one problem with buying things ahead of time. Since you're not using it yet, it gets packed in the car, then trying to remember where you put it is challenging.

I did go buy the chair. Talk about comfort!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing