Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2021, 10:46 PM

18,114 posts, read 15,690,551 times

Advertisements

I've followed this story for a little while & it sounds very sketch out there in QZ, with any number of grifters and those ready to take advantage of others who let their guard down. Plus it's crowded and gets ridiculously overcrowded during their big yearly event, and without infrastructure and necessary support (stores close by and lots of food & other necessities also close by).

While I'm sure it can get quite lonely with solo travel, the thought that comes up contemplating QZ camping is: hell is other people. The noise, the crowds, the lack of resources, the sketch people, all combine into a no thank you. Doesn't sound appealing with these variables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 06:57 AM

7,049 posts, read 6,302,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I've followed this story for a little while & it sounds very sketch out there in QZ, with any number of grifters and those ready to take advantage of others who let their guard down. Plus it's crowded an?d gets ridiculously overcrowded during their big yearly event, and without infrastructure and necessary support (stores close by and lots of food & other necessities also close by).

While I'm sure it can get quite lonely with solo travel, the thought that comes up contemplating QZ camping is: hell is other people. The noise, the crowds, the lack of resources, the sketch people, all combine into a no thank you. Doesn't sound appealing with these variables.
I'm not sure how to respond to this but I will try.

First, I've met far more good people than bad. And the LTVA's and free BLM land is huge. There is an unwritten rule that you don't crowd each other. If people choose to park by each other, they will but a person has the choice to camp far away. The grifters, as you call them, are actually few and far between. But those are the ones you hear about because you're average person is just that.

Noisy? I had far more noise living in a neighborhood in a town or city.

Lack of stores? There are two dollar stores and 2-3 regular grocery stores plus vendors who set up shop. No, there's not a Wal-Mart here and for that you have to go to Parker. There are plenty of places to eat out. You are probably not going to find a specialty restaurant because people don't come here for that and they would soon go out of business. For those you go to Phoenix or Tucson.

For two weeks there are crowds when the Big Tent is put up. It wasn't normal last year so I don't know what it will be like but my guess is that a lot of those people stay in the numerous RV parks in Q. Two weeks out of a year is not much.

It's anyone's choice where they will stay. You can go far away from people, you can choose to camp with a group. It's an individuals choice.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:08 AM

Well, that's good, then. I had watched Drive'n and Vibin' on their review of QZ and I got an impression from that, combined with some things I read here.

Drivin n Vibin Video about QZ

I hope you find a great new spot, away from the current barking dog and the young guy who has asked numerous times to borrow your charging device. That definitely could get old.

Old 12-15-2021, 09:27 AM

I've watched a lot of their videos and noticed they tend to pick remote spots so np, they wouldn't like an area with more campers. Their choice.

You'd have to go back to last year's posts to find the good things I had to say when I was here last year. Even then there was one person who took advantage of people but again, that was one bad against many good.

For me, I found so many people who were helpful and kind. The guys who helped me put up my tent when they saw I didn't know what I was doing. I'd never put up a tent in my life. They also were the ones that told me what stakes I should use and pounded in the new ones I bought.

When I got sick, with what I think was the flu, there were a few that made soup, brought over water, took my garbage when they dumped theirs and generally just took care of me. Their kindness far outweighed the one that took advantage of people.

These are the type of people I've generally met here. People who look out for each other and love and appreciate the land and the freedom they find in camping. Most are not here to rob or take advantage of people. Most are here to enjoy the beauty of nature.

Old 12-15-2021, 09:49 AM

To be honest, I was more afraid during the recession before I lost my house and there was a rash of break ins in my neighborhood. I was actually glad when my house went into foreclosure and I was forced to move. At least here I can just pack up my stuff, turn the key, and move.

My old neighborhood had been desirable prior to that but by the time I left, a lot of my neighbors did too. It was a very sad time for a lot of people.

I've generally been very happy in Q and the traveling I've done. I've met some wonderful people and have seen so many beautiful sights.

My sister commented on how much happier I was when I went back to Minnesota. This lifestyle has given me so much peace. I'm not going to let one bad apple destroy or hamper my happiness.

P.S. My neighbors shower tent made it through the night.

Last edited by meo92953; 12-15-2021 at 10:03 AM..

Old 12-15-2021, 10:59 AM

I hadn't watched the video because I don't like negativity but I just did now.

I don't know when he posted this but, honestly I wonder why they've gone there six times if he doesn't like it. The egg thing, I wonder if that was during the covid crisis when everything was bad. Even this year, with the shipping crisis, yes a person should have known to stock up prior to traveling. If a person paid any attention to the news they would be aware there's a problem out there.

The dollar store was out of water and bread a few days ago and I asked about it. Turns out the truck was late but on its way. Sure enough, they were stocked the next day.

The thing I don't like about these type of videos is the impact they could have on the merchants. Their livelihood depends on the winter people. What would happen if people paid attention to this video and stayed away? The merchants would not survive.

How many places have shut down because of covid? Because they had to let their staff stay home and their was a mandate forcing people to 'stay in place'.

That's why I don't like these type of videos. He could have just offered suggestions on other places to go, which he did, instead of bashing a town and saying don't go there. I hope people don't make a negative decision based on that video.

Old 12-15-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
That's why I don't like these type of videos. He could have just offered suggestions on other places to go, which he did, instead of bashing a town and saying don't go there. I hope people don't make a negative decision based on that video.
He gave what appeared to be a reality check on what one might encounter at QZ. Stocking up on food before going there is good advice. Less privacy at QZ than other boondocking areas is probably true, given the popularity of QZ in the winter. The number of stores available is quantifiable. I don't know about the number of rangers which he discussed, but that's also quantifiable.

He discussed who might like QZ and suggested alternatives he found better, based on his family's criteria, and he listed his criteria/needs.

I highly doubt people in any significant number will not go to QZ because of this video. If I were an RVer, I'd check it out at least once to see for myself & I suspect most do that.

Old 12-20-2021, 05:24 AM

2,106 posts, read 3,013,928 times
Check in when you can meo.
It's been 5 days.
We know you're having fun but let us
in a little bit too. Lol
I know you may be having trouble getting on.

Old 12-20-2021, 07:34 AM

I don't know why people make up scenarios in their head and start worrying when someone online is living their life in the real world.

This nomadic lifestyle is all about being in the moment, and being unplugged if that's desired or necessary. Sometimes tech has glitches or a device doesn't work.

The OP is surrounded by people after reaching her destination. If she needs any assistance, and by her own recent reporting, there are many who are kind and helpful also staying in that area for the winter.

Old 12-20-2021, 08:28 AM

815 posts, read 982,068 times
I think some of us here just really enjoy reading about meo's adventures and look forward to the updates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Camping and RVing